Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [121]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [22]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [12]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation th [#permalink]
Kudos
Eliminate A because group needs "believes" as the verb. US grammar presides.

Eliminate C because the word "bioconservatives" needs the verb "predict."

Eliminate D for the same reason we eliminate A

Eliminate E because we are contrasting the verb "predict" with the noun "techno-progressives."

B is the correct choice because it corrects choice E's problem, contrast "predict" with "forecast"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [2]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation th [#permalink]
Kudos
This is all about SVA: the group who believes (singular) and the bioconservatives (who) predict (plural)

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate > just akward to start with believing comparing to B which is more smooth. Additionally we needed no comma if we modify the bioconservatives with believing!

Answer B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Kudos
reto wrote:
This is all about SVA: the group who believes (singular) and the bioconservatives (who) predict (plural)

Bioconservatives, a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate.

A. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite as techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

B. a group who believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of what techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate, forecast

C. a group that believes that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predicts the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

D. a group who believe that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of believing that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate

E. believing that technological innovation threatens the existing social order, predict the opposite of techno-progressives, who believe that, when properly regulated, technology can empower and emancipate > just akward to start with believing comparing to B which is more smooth. Additionally we needed no comma if we modify the bioconservatives with believing!

Answer B

Ohhh... i missed it completely!

Group - Believes
Bioconservatives - Predict
are the correct pairs. Thanks for pointing out. +1 Kudos for that :)

But still, Can 'Who' refer to a group of people??
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Although Subject-verb is given importance, meaning is highlight of this sentence as indicated by Aditya.

here is a wonderful explanation from another user,who nails it

• The "who" vs. "that" issue is actually a false alarm.
  • Because "who" can be either singular or plural, the fact that it refers to a "group" of people is actually okay.
  • In this context, "who" vs. "that" is a trap designed by the test maker to cause novice test-takers into evaluating an issue that is actually a non-issue.

Not every difference in sentence correction is meaningful.

The basic idea behind this problem is simple. Large modifiers hide what is actually going on.
As we read the problem, we should notice the phrase, "the opposite of." This sets up a comparison, and the items within the comparison must be comparable.
However, we need to get rid of the modifiers to see the underlying structure.

The comparison is between what bio-conservatives predict and what techno-progressives predict.
Here is a breakdown of each answer choice, with the large modifying phrases removed to show the structure:

(A) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite as techno-progressives" (Can't work... we can't compare a prediction to a group)

(B) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of what techno-progressives...forecast" (Works! We are now comparing a prediction to a forecast -- two things that are actually comparable. The test maker included the modifiers in this question to make it sound very awkward, but awkward doesn't mean it is grammatically incorrect. "It sounds weird" is not grounds for eliminating an answer.)

(C) "Bio-conservatives...predicts the opposite of techno-progressives" (Again, fails with the comparison. We also have a subject-verb agreement issue here, but at this point, two wrongs don't make a right.)

(D) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of believing that" (Again, the comparison issue...)

(E) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of techno-progressives" (Once again, we can't compare the verb "predict" to a noun, "techno-progressives.")

Anyone who misses this question is missing the comparison issue (or is getting lost in the modifiers)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Mechmeera wrote:
Although Subject-verb is given importance, meaning is highlight of this sentence as indicated by Aditya.

here is a wonderful explanation from another user,who nails it

• The "who" vs. "that" issue is actually a false alarm.
  • Because "who" can be either singular or plural, the fact that it refers to a "group" of people is actually okay.
  • In this context, "who" vs. "that" is a trap designed by the test maker to cause novice test-takers into evaluating an issue that is actually a non-issue.

Not every difference in sentence correction is meaningful.

The basic idea behind this problem is simple. Large modifiers hide what is actually going on.
As we read the problem, we should notice the phrase, "the opposite of." This sets up a comparison, and the items within the comparison must be comparable.
However, we need to get rid of the modifiers to see the underlying structure.

The comparison is between what bio-conservatives predict and what techno-progressives predict.
Here is a breakdown of each answer choice, with the large modifying phrases removed to show the structure:

(A) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite as techno-progressives" (Can't work... we can't compare a prediction to a group)

(B) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of what techno-progressives...forecast" (Works! We are now comparing a prediction to a forecast -- two things that are actually comparable. The test maker included the modifiers in this question to make it sound very awkward, but awkward doesn't mean it is grammatically incorrect. "It sounds weird" is not grounds for eliminating an answer.)

(C) "Bio-conservatives...predicts the opposite of techno-progressives" (Again, fails with the comparison. We also have a subject-verb agreement issue here, but at this point, two wrongs don't make a right.)

(D) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of believing that" (Again, the comparison issue...)

(E) "Bio-conservatives...predict the opposite of techno-progressives" (Once again, we can't compare the verb "predict" to a noun, "techno-progressives.")

Anyone who misses this question is missing the comparison issue (or is getting lost in the modifiers)

Thanks for the nice explanation. I have a query, For point C, I understood that wrong comparision is made. However, I have doubt regarding the SVA issue. I read many answers and it was mentioned that we should have "predict" as "bioconservatives" is plural. However, "bioconservationes" is "a group". Then why should'nt we have "predicts"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aside from the ‘who vs that issue’ which we will keep in the backburner for a while, , let me deal witha different aspect of B

As per this choice, if technology is said to do three different things such as
1. empower,
2. emancipate,
3. forecast.

Why is the ‘and’ missing before the last item ‘forecast’?

Or does it do only two things such as?
1. empower and emancipate,
2. forecast

(This obviously cannot be, because you cannot group empower and emancipate under one set.) Even so why the ‘and’ is missing before the last item ‘forecast’ perhaps needs some explanation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Whether who can refer to a group?

It is understandable that Veritas wants to defend its reference of a group for the pronoun ‘who’. But whether its perception is acceptable in GMAT domain is too early to conclude, unless we have concrete evidence. Maybe Veritas can produce some examples in which ‘who’ is used for referring to a group. I tried through the entire verbal review second edition, but all the 20 and odd references to ‘who’ were only humans. I also tried several other OG versions and I couldn’t find at least one instance in which ‘who’ was used to refer to things other than human beings.

Then I found one GMATPREP an example which used ‘who’ for “companies”. Please see the example and RON’s comment on that

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t2324.html

The odds seem to be against Veritas. But there is no doubt that their hypothesis is rattling our beliefs. Or is this a trivial thing and not t part of the larger picture?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
aks456 wrote:
Thanks for the nice explanation. I have a query, For point C, I understood that wrong comparison is made. However, I have doubt regarding the SVA issue. I read many answers and it was mentioned that we should have "predict" as "bioconservatives" is plural. However, "bioconservationes" is "a group". Then why shouldn't we have "predicts"?

it is described as a group just to add some information which is not necessary to convey the intended meaning of the main sentence.

Min sentence is
Quote:
Bio-conservatives predict the opposite of what techno-progressives forecast.

the extra information added just for description or as a non-essential modifier(Between the commas) does not affect the main sentence or its meaning.

I hope this helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I do appreciate that 'forecast' is the verb for the subject ‘ techno-progressives’. But I only intended to bring out the oddity of this style, in which the verb is so far removed from its subject, being padded up with (three) multiple back-to-back modifiers in between. In fact, the verb ‘forecast’ has to jump at least three other verbs such as ‘believe, empower and emancipate’ to join its subject. Although this choice passes the grammar test, it fails the style test, IMO.

Of course, that it is the best of the lot is the solace.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The subject of ‘predict’ is ‘bioconservatives’ which is a plural subject. Hence predict is correct. The subject for 'believe’ is ‘group’ which is singular. Hence, it should be ‘believes’. So, we can eliminate A,D and E. Between B and C, we eliminate C because of ‘predicts’. Do not base your elimination on ‘that’ and ‘who’. 'That' is technically correct but ‘who’ is also acceptable. C has a major error with subject verb agreement. Hence, we choose the best of the lot which is B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi expert,
I have doubts with the construction of the correct option B.
1) Bioconservatives,a group who...
How can who refer to group correctly?
2) Bioconservatives...predict
If we treat "Bioconservatives" as a group,how can we use the plural verb "predict"

Please help clarify my doubt
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Expert mikemcgarry please guide for this question....I am confused..Bioconservatives is a group so singular in nature hence predicts must be used instead of predict which is used in Option B. Also my second doubt is how can who refer to a group? Who is used to refer to persons isn't it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
What's wrong with option E?
I could eliminate A,C, and D... Not clear why E is incorrect. Please help

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos