Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [184]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [22]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [19]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [12]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one- [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
pqhai wrote:
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are

(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is

(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being

(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus

(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada reach adulthood in three to four years, so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Comparison + Pronouns

• In the “phrase + comma + noun” and “noun + comma + phrase” constructions, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• A pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence.
• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period" to the placeholder pronoun "it"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period" to the placeholder pronoun "it"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things. Further, Option B incorrectly uses "it" both as a placeholder pronoun and to refer to the noun phrase "the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada"; remember, a pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence. Additionally, Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "takes...three to four years until it reaches adulthood"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada reach adulthood in three to four years.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses "in the Sierra Nevada" to modify "mountain yellow-legged tree frogs", incorrectly implying that mountain yellow-legged tree frogs reach adulthood in three to four years if they are in the Sierra Nevada; the intended meaning is that the mountain yellow-legged tree frogs native to the Sierra Nevada reach adulthood in three to four years; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "take three to four years until they reach adulthood"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada reach adulthood in three to four years. Further, Option D incorrectly modifies "adulthood" with "thus restricted to deeper bodies of water...winter", illogically implying that the adulthood of the frogs was restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter; the intended meaning is that the frogs themselves are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter; remember, in a “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "take three to four years to reach adulthood" and avoids the modifier error seen in Option C, as it uses the phrase "mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada", conveying the intended meaning - that the mountain yellow-legged tree frogs native to the Sierra Nevada reach adulthood in three to four years. Moreover, Option E avoids the modifier error seen in Option D, as it uses the phrase "and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water...winter", conveying the intended meaning - that "they" - the frogs themselves - are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter. Further, Option E avoids the pronoun error seen in Option B, as it uses the pronoun "they" to refer to only one referent - "mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada". Additionally, Option E correctly compares "frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period" with "mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [5]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one- [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Usage of "until" is wrong here.

what follows "until" is the condition when the action before "until" stops.

Eg. I will keep walking until I see a pond.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
E, it is.
Unlike like like should be used to compare nouns. So A,B,C are out
D take three to four years until; (usage of until- take three to four years for what)
E Idiomatically correct to reach adulthood, they clearly refers to the frogs (yellow-legged)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [6]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
pqhai wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are
(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being
(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are

KUDOS will encourage me to post more new changeling questions.

Comparison problem.

Unlike frogs..........................., mountain yellow-legged frogs..............
Down to D, E.
E is correct. The right idiom is: X TAKE three or four years TO REACH................

I didn't see the idiom at all. Basing my decision on meaning

In D there is a suddenly shift after comma with thus doesn't have much sense. Moreover, the frogs and they in the same sentence is redundant; we already have a subject clear and straight.

In E: unlike X, Y do something or have certain characteristics , AND they are incapsulated in something I do not know whatever else who cares...........

Really nice question +1

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [9]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatter0913 wrote:
Usage of "until" is wrong here.

what follows "until" is the condition when the action before "until" stops.

Eg. I will keep walking until I see a pond.

I would keep myself away getting into nitty gritty of the sentences, especially, when I have more sound reasoning present.

In D, what does phrase modify "restricted to deeper....." --> Modifies "Adulthood" --> Incorrect.

Moreover, sentence is trying to get into Cause Effect phenomenon. E clearly sets this in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [5]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It refers unambiguously to yello legged frogs.
Here is the rule:
Subject pronoun in one clause refers to the subject of another clause.

Example:
Petrol cars have huge maintenance, and hence they are unaccepted in poor countries.
Here they refers to petrol cars.

In the original sentence, unlike x is just a modifier.. Real sentence starts after modifier.
Let me know in case of any doubt
Regards
Imhimanshu

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [8]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Boils down to (D) and we when we remember the below construction:

Unlike X,Y

X || Y

Why I rejected (D) is some other reason than given by previous posters.

It should have been

,thus are restricted...

Or

; thus an independent clause.

Both are missing. Hence , incorrect!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [9]
Given Kudos: 116
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
pqhai wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:

KUDOS will encourage me to post more new changeling questions.

Comparison problem.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are --Unlike frog...it takes.. improper comparison
(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is--Unlike frog...it takes.. improper comparison
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being--Unlike frog...in the Sierra Nevada.. improper comparison(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus--There is no conjunction. There is no verb after THUS.
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are--AND is used to join the independent clause which has a working verb ARE. CORRECT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
pqhai carcass sayantanc2k

Faced the same question in one of the GMAT prep test, but with a slight variation.

You can see the difference in the clause after the comma in Option E, any views how "with the result" is correct?

I generally found sentences/clauses starting "with" to be a bit awkward, any help please..
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 73.4 KiB | Viewed 75567 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi Pqhai,

Can you please explain why C is wrong?

I think the subject of choice is mountain yellow-legged tree frog, which is a logical comparison with frogs.

Thx for your time in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [10]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos