Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 1312 [5] , given: 120

Premium Member
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:42) correct 24% (00:43) wrong based on 214 sessions
rakeshd347 wrote:
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are
(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being
(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are

KUDOS will encourage me to post more new changeling questions.

Comparison problem.

Unlike frogs..........................., mountain yellow-legged frogs..............
Down to D, E.
E is correct. The right idiom is: X TAKE three or four years TO REACH................
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 87

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 03:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Usage of "until" is wrong here.

what follows "until" is the condition when the action before "until" stops.

Eg. I will keep walking until I see a pond.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 09:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
E, it is.
Unlike like like should be used to compare nouns. So A,B,C are out
D take three to four years until; (usage of until- take three to four years for what)
E Idiomatically correct to reach adulthood, they clearly refers to the frogs (yellow-legged)

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Expert Post
Followers: 296

Kudos [?]: 2479 [0], given: 694

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 09:50
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pqhai wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are
(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being
(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are

KUDOS will encourage me to post more new changeling questions.

Comparison problem.

Unlike frogs..........................., mountain yellow-legged frogs..............
Down to D, E.
E is correct. The right idiom is: X TAKE three or four years TO REACH................

I didn't see the idiom at all. Basing my decision on meaning

In D there is a suddenly shift after comma with thus doesn't have much sense. Moreover, the frogs and they in the same sentence is redundant; we already have a subject clear and straight.

In E: unlike X, Y do something or have certain characteristics , AND they are incapsulated in something I do not know whatever else who cares...........

Really nice question +1

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 2

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is E. This is of the form: Unlike X,Y. The Y (mountain yellow legged frogs) should follow immediately after the comma.
Also, the frogs (plural) take 3 - 4 years to reach is the correct form

Kudos if I helped :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 139 [1] , given: 136

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
gmatter0913 wrote:
Usage of "until" is wrong here.

what follows "until" is the condition when the action before "until" stops.

Eg. I will keep walking until I see a pond.

I would keep myself away getting into nitty gritty of the sentences, especially, when I have more sound reasoning present.

In D, what does phrase modify "restricted to deeper....." --> Modifies "Adulthood" --> Incorrect.

Moreover, sentence is trying to get into Cause Effect phenomenon. E clearly sets this in.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 24

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 02:34
[quote="pqhai"][quote="rakeshd347"]Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

Can anyone explain me why don't we have a pronoun ambiguity here. What does "they" represent here?
Is it the first type of frogs or yellow-legged frogs?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 139 [2] , given: 136

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 03:02
This post received
KUDOS
It refers unambiguously to yello legged frogs.
Here is the rule:
Subject pronoun in one clause refers to the subject of another clause.

Example:
Petrol cars have huge maintenance, and hence they are unaccepted in poor countries.
Here they refers to petrol cars.

In the original sentence, unlike x is just a modifier.. Real sentence starts after modifier.
Let me know in case of any doubt
Regards
Imhimanshu

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 317

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2014, 09:31
Boils down to (D) and we when we remember the below construction:

Unlike X,Y

X || Y

Why I rejected (D) is some other reason than given by previous posters.

It should have been

,thus are restricted...

Or

; thus an independent clause.

Both are missing. Hence , incorrect!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2014, 09:31