It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 1055 [0], given: 378

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one- [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 18:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are
(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being
(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are

Edited question from GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 [LINK]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

VP
VP
P

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one- [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 18:32
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are
(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being
(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the phrase "with the result that" in (E)? Does "comma, with" modify the whole preceding clause?

Similar sentence from GMATPREP. [LINK]

Quote:
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one- [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:47
Modifier Error... So A, B, C can be eliminated easily so left with and E, due to idiomatic error E is eliminated and final answer is D.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1380 [0], given: 380

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one- [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 14:04
Hasn't this question already been thoroughly beaten to death here? https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-frogs ... 51036.html

hazelnut wrote:

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the phrase "with the result that" in (E)? Does "comma, with" modify the whole preceding clause?

Similar sentence from GMATPREP. [LINK]

Quote:
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline.

In choice (E), the clause introduced by "with the result that" modifies the verb "take". For example, "I ate, with the result that I was full." To what extent did I eat? To the extent that I was full.

In the park example, the prepositional phrase, "with arms and legs..." functions as an adverb modifying "sleeping". How were the monkeys sleeping? With arms and legs hanging...

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 23:38
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.7
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 10:11
pqhai wrote:

(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Unlike frogs..........................., mountain yellow-legged frogs..............
Down to D, E.
E is correct. The right idiom is: X TAKE three or four years TO REACH.

In the original/initial question, the correct option E has ...and so.... And/So both being a conjunction, part of FANBOYS, can we use both together? or is it necessary to use two conjunctions?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 64

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 230

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 01:00
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone explain why D is wrong?

Here's (D) again, inserted into the sentence:

The problem here is that it's not clear what, exactly is restricted to deeper bodies of water -- it almost sounds like "adulthood" is the thing that's restricted, and that doesn't make sense. Much clearer to repeat the subject, as choice (E) does.

Hi GMATNinja,

I understand why D is wrong for the reasons above. Could you tell why the usage of "until" in D is incorrect? Thanks a ton!

Please hit Kudos if my post is helpful to you.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 230

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 19:24
yt770 wrote:
I understand why D is wrong for the reasons above. Could you tell why the usage of "until" in D is incorrect? Thanks a ton!

I'm not sure that there's a great answer to that, unfortunately. I think the GMAT might argue that the correct -- and more direct -- idiom is "take three years to accomplish a task", not "take three years until they accomplish a task." The latter is a mild waste of words, I guess, but I'm not 100% sure that it's wrong. In any case, idioms are, by definition, arbitrary (and here's a long rant about idioms if you haven't already seen it). So there's really no explanation for why one idiom is correct and another isn't.

But more importantly, you're very unlikely to see this particular issue ever again on the GMAT. And even in this question, the idiom isn't the deciding factor at all.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 08:49
rrkiitm wrote:
pqhai wrote:

(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, and so they are

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Unlike frogs..........................., mountain yellow-legged frogs..............
Down to D, E.

In the original/initial question, the correct option E has ...and so.... And/So both being a conjunction, part of FANBOYS, can we use both together? or is it necessary to use two conjunctions?

I was wondering the same thing. I saw some other threads that say "and so" is wrong. Here is the link to one of them:

The four-million-year-old fossilized skeleton known as Lucy is so small compared with many other skeleton presumed to be of same species, and so some paleontologists have argued that Lucy represents a different lineage.
A. presumed to be of same species, and so - incorrect
B. presumed to be of the same species that - correct. the skeleton is so small......that....
C. presumed that they are of same species, and so - 'they' has no referent
D. that they have presumed to be of the same species, so that - 'they' has no referent
E. that they have presumed are of the same species, and - 'they' has no referent

Maybe because "and so" is wrong so they updated the question and changed "and so" to "with the result that" instead?
GMATNinja would you be so kind to answer one more question please?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1380 [1], given: 380

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Kasama wrote:
rrkiitm wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I saw some other threads that say "and so" is wrong. Here is the link to one of them:

The four-million-year-old fossilized skeleton known as Lucy is so small compared with many other skeleton presumed to be of same species, and so some paleontologists have argued that Lucy represents a different lineage.
A. presumed to be of same species, and so - incorrect
B. presumed to be of the same species that - correct. the skeleton is so small......that....
C. presumed that they are of same species, and so - 'they' has no referent
D. that they have presumed to be of the same species, so that - 'they' has no referent
E. that they have presumed are of the same species, and - 'they' has no referent

Maybe because "and so" is wrong so they updated the question and changed "and so" to "with the result that" instead?
GMATNinja would you be so kind to answer one more question please?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the phrase "and so." There are tons of different uses of the word "so", and in this case, it basically means "therefore" --
and there's no reason why you couldn't use "therefore" with "and."

And for what it's worth, you might not want to take that question about Lucy too seriously. I think it's from some dodgy files that were floating around the internet 10 or 15 years ago, and those questions may or may not represent the style of actual GMAT questions.

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Kudos [?]: 1380 [1], given: 380

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 222

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 19:54

(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus.
--> restricted wrongly modifies adulthood.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 222

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 12:10
pqhai wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Down to D, E.

A) "Frogs" are improperly compared to "it" via "unlike."
B) "Frogs" are improperly compared to "it" via "unlike."
C) "Frogs" are improperly compared to "the Sierra Nevada" via "unlike."
D) The phrase after "thus" lacks a verb. "Take... until" is not a correct idiom.
E) Correct.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 158

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 22:29
A, B and C are clearly incorrect because they result in a dangling modifier. The issue with D is not necessarily just the lack of a conventional idiom- but because it is an illogical sentence. X until Y - X is the condition that leads to Y - take three to four years to what?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 158

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 03:26
IMO E as in A& B- "IT"- unnecessary.
in (C)- wrong placement of modifier. In (D) they is wrong.
So (E) - correct

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 03:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap