Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Other, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: W.p. Carey full scholarship vs wait and try for t-15 [#permalink]
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I have a gut feeling to delay b school and focus solely on gmat to gain entrance to an elite mba, but it's really hard to pass up a full tuition mba scholarship at a t30, and predictions are w.p. carey will be t25 as full tuition scholarships for all students continue and average gmat and gpa rise. My calculation is by delaying b school and trying for ross or similar, I'm losing over 200k. 100k in lost salary because it will be an extra year until I earn the post mba salary, plus well over 100k debt, unless I got a nice scholarship offer from somewhere. (Maybe if I get a 750 gmat?).

So while my heart does long for an elite mba degree, it's hard for me to justify, since I have the rare opportunity for a full ride mba at a solid schol.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
bravas wrote:
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I have a gut feeling to delay b school and focus solely on gmat to gain entrance to an elite mba, but it's really hard to pass up a full tuition mba scholarship at a t30, and predictions are w.p. carey will be t25 as full tuition scholarships for all students continue and average gmat and gpa rise. My calculation is by delaying b school and trying for ross or similar, I'm losing over 200k. 100k in lost salary because it will be an extra year until I earn the post mba salary, plus well over 100k debt, unless I got a nice scholarship offer from somewhere. (Maybe if I get a 750 gmat?).

So while my heart does long for an elite mba degree, it's hard for me to justify, since I have the rare opportunity for a full ride mba at a solid schol.

Please don't ignore your gut feeling. How has that gone in the past, when you ignored your gut feeling?

Go for what you want and believe you can get it. Whole purpose of getting an MBA is going for what you want. I don't really even see any purpose in it if you're going settle, sacrifice and compromise.

Just because they want you at Carey doesn't mean you have to go it's just an Open Door. You can totally pretend that didn't even happen it does not have to dictate the rest of your life . The fact that they're offering you a free ride is kind of a signal that you are settling.

I was recently emailing back and forth with a very successful edtech entrepreneur who graduated from Stanford. And he said that if you're focused on opportunity costs you're not ready to get an MBA.

Getting an MBA is an investment in yourself your career and your dream. It is not about settling and playing it safe.

Sometimes people just need to learn life lessons on their own and I honor your journey. Ive said my piece.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would focus less on the opportunity costs either way because you can justify it either way especially in the LTV of going to a more elite school. You are not excited about Carey even with the full ride. I would say to take some time and really dig deep and see if you can close in on a 720 to improve your chances but also keep in mind there is a GMAT gap between the bottom end of the T-15 and Booth/Kellogg so some of those other schools may also be realistic for you even without retaking the GMAT. I do want to mention that if you did not get into Booth don't expect to waltz into Kellogg these schools are both elite and Kellogg has historically been the higher ranked program and with rising GMAT scores there you will have to retake to be most competitive there as well
Intern
Intern
Send PM
W.p. Carey full scholarship vs wait and try for t-15 [#permalink]
Thanks again, I appreciate that.
Agreed on Kellogg, didn't mean to imply I could waltz in, I guess I meant I'd focus there for Chicago since Booth already denied me. Would take gmat again, but would really need to bear down on quant, a decent increase there could really boost things.

Have lost some sleep over this... you don't think it's a one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, situation? I mean imagine I wait a year, at a job I dislike quite a lot, spend 100to150k extra, go to somewhere like ross, and at the end of the program get a job with say, amazon? Well hell, I could totally accomplish that at carey. So what would be the reason to wait a year and spend a whole lot more? Possibility at MBB? Shot at Wall street? Even at t10 only the best and brightest are going there. The biggest reason would seem to be prestige... which I have to admit is certainly alluring (that's why I'm posting all this and struggling)...but that prestige might hurt a bit when I'm shelling out 1500/month in loan payments for the following 10 years. And the freedom from debt makes starting my own business that much more feasible (something I'd eventually like to do).

No one thinks that Carey is on the rise though? They plan on continuing the full tuition scholarship for all full time students, had a lower acceptance rate than Harvard this year, revamping the whole curriculum. Again, imagine I turn down the offer, wait another year, and in two or three years Carey is a t20 (who knows!) That's a could a shoulda woulda too.

I can't help but feel Carey is worth a shot...if I hate it then I hate it and re-evaluate, lost time either way, and not losing much money. And hey, maybe I'll love it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Such a tough situation! However, I would say I don't think anyone can decide for you except you. From your tone, it seems you probably think you should head to Carey; you'll regret it if you don't.

I personally would probably take the money and head to Carey since I financed my bachelor's and first master's degrees and already have substantial debt. For some of my friends whose parents financed their educations and they aren't in any debt, they would personally never accept the Carey offer. A lot of people approach this knowing they'll spend the $200k... they're truly T15 or bust. One way isn't better than the other, it just depends of your unique situation. If you're risk averse, dislike your job, and/or truly don't think you'll be able to raise your GMAT score to get into Booth or Kellogg with $, I don't think it makes much sense to reject the Carey offer.

Either way, you have a great profile with a lot going for you. Best of luck with the decision and congrats on your full-tuition scholarship!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.35
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
bravas wrote:
Thanks again, I appreciate that.
Agreed on Kellogg, didn't mean to imply I could waltz in, I guess I meant I'd focus there for Chicago since Booth already denied me. Would take gmat again, but would really need to bear down on quant, a decent increase there could really boost things.

Have lost some sleep over this... you don't think it's a one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, situation? I mean imagine I wait a year, at a job I dislike quite a lot, spend 100to150k extra, go to somewhere like ross, and at the end of the program get a job with say, amazon? Well hell, I could totally accomplish that at carey. So what would be the reason to wait a year and spend a whole lot more? Possibility at MBB? Shot at Wall street? Even at t10 only the best and brightest are going there. The biggest reason would seem to be prestige... which I have to admit is certainly alluring (that's why I'm posting all this and struggling)...but that prestige might hurt a bit when I'm shelling out 1500/month in loan payments for the following 10 years. And the freedom from debt makes starting my own business that much more feasible (something I'd eventually like to do).

No one thinks that Carey is on the rise though? They plan on continuing the full tuition scholarship for all full time students, had a lower acceptance rate than Harvard this year, revamping the whole curriculum. Again, imagine I turn down the offer, wait another year, and in two or three years Carey is a t20 (who knows!) That's a could a shoulda woulda too.

I can't help but feel Carey is worth a shot...if I hate it then I hate it and re-evaluate, lost time either way, and not losing much money. And hey, maybe I'll love it.

It seems to me you are convincing yourself that you should do Carey even though it's not what you want deep down and I do understand the appeal of no tuition.

I think Ross is an excellent choice. If you're looking for the Mid-West then Kelley would also be an excellent and very affordable choice. Notre Dame is also right at that top 25 area. If you're not looking for Wall Street or McKinsey then you really don't need to go to a top 10 school.

It would also be very unwise to preclude a program because it was not in a large city. At these top 30/25 schools you have brand recognition that should travel fairly well, you will be in especially good shape if you go to a school in the Mid-West where it seems you want to stay. Who knows, you may find after two years you like living in a less densely populated area. A good idea would be to find out what companies recruit at some of these schools in smaller population areas. I think you'll find these top 30 schools have companies from nearby cities taking lots of graduates every year. It's usually more difficult to find a good job outside of a city.

My two cents. Good luck!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
W.p. Carey full scholarship vs wait and try for t-15 [#permalink]
NOTE => PERSONAL ADVICE

A 700 on the GMAT.=> check
An Outstanding profile=> check
Work Experience=> check
Good interview skills => check
Good writing skills => check

If had those many items ticked on my application regime => I would have been off to one of the top 3 MBA programs.

If you like WP carey as a school => Go ahead Join it .
I can understand as we have our likes and dislikes and some schools that we become passionate about during the application cycle.

BUT If you are going there so that you can write B school application next year while studying at WP carey=>
Smack that Acceptance letter.
You are much better waiting
Its worth it if done in a right way mate.
Dont think about the money too much,
At the end it wont even matter.

As the GODFATHER said => " Look at the bigger picture here " and "Write the essays the TOP business programs could not refuse "

Regards

STONE COLD
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Hi,
I'm caught up in the same boat this year.

Indian candidate with 3.5 yrs work ex, sales and marketing, graduated from top ranked university.
Post MBA, I would like to take up product management or marketing management roles at a tech company.

I have a good profile and I am sure I can bump up the score to 730+.

Situation: Having studied at top ranked university in India, I understand the prestige and network it follows. That's one negative I can see about Carey.
Another would be it's strong focus on SCM, which could make my transition into marketing a little difficult.

But the good thing is that it's offering a full ride and as an international student, visa situations do worry me. I don't want to graduate from a t15 with a hefty debt. I am pretty sure of what I want to do, but at the same time I want the liberty to switch careers without worrying for debt repayment.

All opinions are most welcome.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts