Following the lead of other top MBA programs, reports a recent article in The Financial Times, Harvard Business School will be expanding its international immersion programs this year by holding small, intensive seminars across the globe.
According to the FT, HBS has been “slow to initiate such projects, as data from the Financial Times 2009 rankings show.” Other top US b-schools rank higher in the international experiences offered to their first- and second-year MBA students. Stanford, the forerunner of such international immersion programs, ranks highest, followed by (in order) NYU Stern, MIT Sloan, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, Columbia, and then lagging, Harvard Business School.
A recent press release on the HBS website elaborates on the b-school’s new “Global, Field-Based Immersions.” January term seminars give “students the opportunity to reflect in a different way on what they are learning in the classroom through in-depth study and by applying their learning in the field,” explains Professor Joseph Badaracco, HBS faculty chair.
According the January 13 press release, this year’s IXPs (Immersion Experience Programs) schedule will go as follows:
- China IXP: Understanding a Business Environment (Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai)
-led by Elisabeth Koll
- India IXP: Creating and Transforming Competitive Advantage (Mumbai, Delhi, and Agra)
-led by Stephen Bradley and Bhaskar Chakravorti
- Peru IXP: Escaping the Natural Resource Curse (Lima, Caral, Puerto Maldonado, and Cusco)
-led by Diego Comin
- Rwanda IXP: Business and Social Enterprise in a Post-Conflict Country (Kigali and Akagera)
-led by Louis Wells
- United Arab Emirates & Bahrain IXP: Energy and Globalization: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Manama)
-led by Noel Maurer
- Vietnam IXP: Globalization and Entrepreneurship Today (Hanoi, Can Tho, and Ho Chi Minh City)
-led by Regina Abrami
- Boston IXP: High Potential Entrepreneurial Ventures in the Boston Metropolitan Area
-led by Shikhar Ghosh, Robert Higgins, and Joseph Lassiter
- New Orleans IXP: Service and Leadership in an Entrepreneurial Environment
-led by Shawn Cole, Alnoor Ebrahim, and Herman "Dutch" Leonard
- Silicon Valley IXP in Partnership with the HBS Rock Center for Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurial Ventures in Silicon Valley (Palo Alto)
-led by Thomas Eisenmann and Michael Roberts
Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best