Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [6] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:11) correct 58% (01:26) wrong based on 920 sessions
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 09:27
A.

I think it should be " they denounce ... while ... supporting". While is used for contrast here and not for events that happen concurrently. The placement of 'at the same time' following 'while' is meant to lure one to discard that choice, but the other choices dont seem to make sense and are not parallel.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Pauline,

I give up. None of the choices seem to be right.

A is close but not sure.

OE will help.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 16:37
riteshgupta1 wrote:
Pauline, I give up. None of the choices seem to be right. A is close but not sure. OE will help.

A. i think there is nothing wrong with A. the IC is clearly modified by PP.

D is wrong because an IC cannot begain with while, because, where as and so on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 16:54
I wud choose A.

Why I chose to reject D

D does not maintain parallelism.".... While they denounce X, at the same time they support Y"

GA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
riteshgupta1
I'm sorry to say, that Pearson VUE doesn't provide OE (that's why I'm posting here - to get an explanation).

This is a rather tricky one ;) I fell in the trap of parallelism and chose C...

OA is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 04:33
Hey hey hey..I choose A..glad i did..Its all about sounding good to me..

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 04:41
I think the problem with D is 'they ... supporting'

Strip out the clause between the commas, and the 'at the same time', it should still read properly.

If it was 'they are supporting' or 'they support' then it would be ok.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 06:11
A is redundant too..

what is "while at the same time", using while and at the same time in the same sentence...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 10:16
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government - they say government is doing too much and has become too powerful - but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

E) while they are denouncing big government - they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful - supporting at the same time
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 10:45
I would also go for A. The other choices are awkward.

Impossible is nothing

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 11:01
Am going with C, to maintain parallelism betwen denounce and support
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2006, 23:35
The OA is A
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
This is a sitter because straight away C,D E are out........

because of while.................. at the same time.............

They don't come together.
I mean while denouncing they support
But we don't say that while denouncing at the same time they support.

So left with A and B.
Coming to B,

They denounce the gov- they say.............
we cannot have they two times as mentioned in the above statment

So A

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC #1 - Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 07:17
SimaQ wrote:
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government - they say government is doing too much and has become too powerful - but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

E) while they are denouncing big government - they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful - supporting at the same time

This is a right royal mess.. Simaq would appreciate if you would share the source of this question.

I initially got C - but missed the fact as Cicerone points out that C uses 2 "they's" which is awkward.

A stands by POE bec other choices are way off the mark.

But there's an issue with A as well unless some one can clarify -

A says - they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

As used above, SUPPORTING should modify "Big Government"; however the intended meaning is that the People Support the Govt Programs.

I can't understand how A can be correct either.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 11:25
68. A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

I chose "C" since all sentences are in present tense. But the OA is "A". Can someone please explain?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 19:03
Have to concur with (A).

Why not C?

"say that govt..." is not correct. The poll happened in the past, but the results is still perceived to be true until today. Hence, a "present tense" with "-ing" will be preferable.

"while they support at the same time": akward sentence structure + I felt that "they" is redudant.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
Yes one more for A based on Parallelism of the verbs in the sentence

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your wayâ€

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 11:21
68. A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2007, 11:58
Denounce and supporting are not parallel here. I think one of the choices is missing..only 4 choices have been mentioned. A doesn't look right.
  [#permalink] 31 Mar 2007, 11:58