Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treat [#permalink]
eladshus wrote:
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation, it is quiet clear that the curative prowess of such so called remedies is questionable. In a recent survey of people who had tried at least one respondents reported that the thrapiest had little, if any, curative impact. People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment.

The above argument assumes that:

A. Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.
B. Traditional methods of treatment have a higher success rate than that of alternative therapies.
C. The survey participants had no reservations about the therapy methods they chose prior to receiving treatment.
D. No respondent had used any form of traditional treatment prior to the survey.
E. A combination of traditinoal and alternative therapies is the most optimal way to treat musculoskeletal aliments.

Hi,

When I solved the following question, I was debating between the first 2 answers, and eventually selected the wrong one.
Can you please help me realize why the wrong answer is wrong?

Thank you

Since doubt is between B and D, let me just focus on these two :

Premise : Survey - People who used alternative therapies had little success.
Conclusion : Traditional is better

Though the conclusion is about Traditional methods, there is no mention of it anywhere

Suppose there are two methods A and B :

We can't say

A succ rate = 0.1
Therefore B is better;
As we have no information about B. This question plays with your prejudice. success rate of B could be 99.999 or it could be 0.00001. You are stuck in your head because you think traditional methods are better but here those are just words. We have no info on traditional medicine whatsoever.

Therefore the correct assumption would compare success of A and B

As you can see, option B does that perfectly

Now coming to D. No respondent had used any form of traditional treatment prior to the survey.

So people tried method A for first time. Didn't work. So does that mean B will surely work?

No... we again need to compare the base rate. Without having any info about B, the conclusion is meaningless.

Only option B holds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treat [#permalink]
sa18 wrote:
akadmin wrote:
eladshus wrote:
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation, it is quiet clear that the curative prowess of such so called remedies is questionable. In a recent survey of people who had tried at least one respondents reported that the thrapiest had little, if any, curative impact. People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment.

A. Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.
B. Traditional methods of treatment have a higher success rate than that of alternative therapies.
C. The survey participants had no reservations about the therapy methods they chose prior to receiving treatment.
D. No respondent had used any form of traditional treatment prior to the survey.
E. A combination of traditinoal and alternative therapies is the most optimal way to treat musculoskeletal aliments.

Hi,

When I solved the following question, I was debating between the first 2 answers, and eventually selected the wrong one.

Thank you

Why not C? If the people had reservations then the result could be skewd

Having the same thought.
If the minds of the people are already biased, the survey results could be misleading.

Even If the minds of the people are biased, and the survey results could be misleading, the argument is still valid. The conclusion - People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment. – is still valid; Premise C may weaken or strengthen the argument – we do not know in what direction – but its negation will not invalidate the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
eladshus wrote:

Hi,

Thank you

The two best choices for this question are
B. Traditional methods of treatment have a higher success rate than that of alternative therapies. using negation technique, in case the success rate of traditional therapies is not higher than that of alternative therapies, then there is no rationale to shift
C. The survey participants had no reservations about the therapy methods they chose prior to receiving treatment. Using negation technique,
if they had reservations then what? if it is effective then it makes sense for them to shift.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GPA: 3.64
WE:Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Option E is interesting and would be the correct choice if it was just negated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Why is option C wrong? If the participants have pre-conceived notions about the therapy methods, the results could be flawed and hence the conclusion would break apart, would't it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
punith0894 wrote:
Why is option C wrong? If the participants have pre-conceived notions about the therapy methods, the results could be flawed and hence the conclusion would break apart, would't it?

I completely agree with you. Everyone is bound to have a preconceived notion of the therapies they choose, and they depend primarily on the conditions in which they live, the society around them, their social status, the traditions in which they grew up, and many, many other factors. So, for example, it will be very difficult to convince a resident of New York that alternative therapies such as acupuncture and others will be more effective than traditional treatments at an urban clinic. It would be difficult to explain to a villager in the mountains of Tibet about the effectiveness of modern methods of treatment, some methods I learned about relatively recently when I ordered custom essays on https://writemypapers4me.net/custom-writing-service/. And lastly, both for the former and for the latter, traditional methods and alternative methods will be completely different
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts