It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 07:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 100 [3], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:45) correct 47% (03:00) wrong based on 708 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation, it is quiet clear that the curative prowess of such so called remedies is questionable. In a recent survey of people who had tried at least one respondents reported that the thrapiest had little, if any, curative impact. People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment.

The above argument assumes that:

A. Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.
B. Traditional methods of treatment have a higher success rate than that of alternative therapies.
C. The survey participants had no reservations about the therapy methods they chose prior to receiving treatment.
D. No respondent had used any form of traditional treatment prior to the survey.
E. A combination of traditinoal and alternative therapies is the most optimal way to treat musculoskeletal aliments.

Hi,

When I solved the following question, I was debating between the first 2 answers, and eventually selected the wrong one.
Can you please help me realize why the wrong answer is wrong?

Thank you
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 100 [3], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 1

Re: CR - Assumption - alternative health treatments [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
eladshus wrote:
Hi,

When I solved the following question, I was debating between the first 2 answers, and eventually selected the wrong one.
Can you please help me realize why the wrong answer is wrong?

Thank you

Question:
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation, it is quiet clear that the curative prowess of such so called remedies is questionable. In a recent survey of people who had tried at least one respondents reported that the thrapiest had little, if any, curative impact. People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment.

The above argument assumes that:

A. Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.
B. Traditional methods of treatment have a higher success rate than that of alternative therapies.
C. The survey participants had no reservations about the therapy methods they chose prior to receiving treatment.
D. No respondent had used any form of traditional treatment prior to the survey.
E. A combination of traditinoal and alternative therapies is the most optimal way to treat musculoskeletal aliments.

I picked B. Which 2 choices did you pick?

a) other alternative therapies are not relevant (not comparing the various forms of alternative therapies)
b) ANSWER: since the traditional methods have a higher rate of success, the conclusion makes sense (that we should forego all alternative therapies)
c) what the participants think before receiving the treatment is not relevant
d) if no one had use traditional treatment before than we cannot say that the traditional method is better (since no one has used it)
e) the argument wants the traditional method not the alternative method, not a combination of the 2 methods

Hope this helps.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 08:51
Hi mrblack,

Thanks for your quick reply. I picked answer a and I will explain my reasoning:
The conclusion of the argument is: "People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment. ". As I was reading it, I noted that the conclusion refers to not only the 2 alternative therapies mentioned in the premises, but also recommend to forego alternative therapies in general. Thus, a possible hidden assumption is exactly what stated in answer choice A: Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine. Let's use the denial test: If other alternative therapies are more effective, then the conclusion falls apart.

WDYT?
A reads: Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 09:11
I think you're reading too much into it. To me, the "alternative therapies" include all forms of alternative therapies, not just the 2 mentioned in the premises. You don't need to compare the various forms, which is what a) is doing.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 09:12
also, b) is just more straight forward - it actually tells you that traditional therapies are better, period. so go with b)

2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2175 [2], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
eladshus wrote:
Hi mrblack,

The conclusion of the argument is: "People, with such injuries are, thus, well advised to forego alternative therapies in favor of traditional, interventive methods of treatment. ". As I was reading it, I noted that the conclusion refers to not only the 2 alternative therapies mentioned in the premises, but also recommend to forego alternative therapies in general. Thus, a possible hidden assumption is exactly what stated in answer choice A: Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine. Let's use the denial test: If other alternative therapies are more effective, then the conclusion falls apart.

WDYT?
A reads: Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are not more effective than acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.

You've a point; however, such as is used to mention just few of the examples, not the entire list.

Jungle is filled with wild animals, such as cheetah, jaguar. (Sentence meant ALL wild animals but mentioned just a couple)
Jungle is filled with such wild animals as cheetah and jaguar. (Sentence meant 2 wild animals and mentioned both)

Likewise,
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation. (This sentence implicitly includes aromatherapy already without even mentioning it)

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2175 [2], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 09:20
fluke wrote:
eladshus wrote:
Hi mrblack,

WDYT?

You've a point; however, such as is used to mention just few of the examples, not the entire list.

Jungle is filled with wild animals, such as cheetah, jaguar. (Sentence meant ALL wild animals but mentioned just a couple)
Jungle is filled with such wild animals as cheetah and jaguar. (Sentence meant 2 wild animals and mentioned both)

Likewise,
Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation. (This sentence implicitly includes aromatherapy already without even mentioning it)

You're right. But a) is still wrong because it's comparing various forms of alternative therapies.

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2175 [1], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
mrblack wrote:
You're right. But a) is still wrong because it's comparing various forms of alternative therapies.

Oh sure, mrblack!!! I am not refuting that.

I'm very much with "B", however implausible it may sound that none of the participants would have said the same thing about traditional, interventive treatment.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2175 [1], given: 376

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
fluke wrote:
mrblack wrote:

I'm very much with "B", however implausible it may sound that none of the participants would have said the same thing about traditional, interventive treatment.

Sorry that I misunderstood you.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 276 [1], given: 34

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
mrblack wrote:
fluke wrote:
mrblack wrote:

Sorry that I misunderstood you.

Hi Mrblack,

Let me give a try.

Okay lets negate this statement. Other alternative therapies, such as aromatherapy, are as effective as acupuncture or chiropractic medicine.

Now conclusion is same why ? When acupuncture or chiro..med., which are as effective as aromatherapy, and acupuncture is are not better than traditional than defiantly aromatherapy is not better.

Here the thing which should be noted that opposite of not more is not necessarly less, it might be equal.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Kudos [?]: 276 [1], given: 34

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
mrblack, fluke, and rphardu,

This is a great discussion here. Now I realize that I over read the sentence and from your answers I have learned a lot.
From this I have learned 2 things on this sentence:
1. "such as" comes to introduce few examples out of the family of "alternative therapies", this is why the argument is not cemented to only the 2 therapies mentioned. (thanks for mrblack and fluke on that)
2. rphardu - your perspective helped me realize that an amount that is "not more X" can be exactly equal to X.

Kodus for all of you guys.
eladshus

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 9

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2011, 01:03
negating B and D,weakens the conclusion stated in the last line.

However, B is more closer to the conclusion,hence the OA.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2011, 06:38
This is a SC and CR combination question! 8-)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2011, 22:48
yeahhh I got it rite!!

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 9

Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 09:16
chose A...but learnt a few points from the discussion

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2011, 12:59
Sigh.. got B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2011, 04:47
IMO D. Can somebody plz elaborate why D is wrong and B correct?
Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2011, 21:32
Hi eladshus awesome question...
Even I fell in the same trap as you and chose A. Now realize that I also over-read the choice and the options. B should be the correct answer.
mrblack and fluke, very detailed and simple explanations. Thank you very much. Learnt something very vital here. :)
+1 for all. :)

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 110

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 10:02
So author is keen to stress that alternative method is wrong and has provided a survey to prove her point, now we need to find assumption based which she is so keen to prove the success of traditional method
A is against her believe so cant be my answer
B Yes it is what she is claiming to be
C POE
D could be , but some doubt is there but neverthe less an answer
E POE
B is correct as d is bit based on assumptions .. had B been vague then would have picked D

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2012, 02:40
Such as cheetah, jaguar. (Sentence meant ALL wild animals but mentioned just a couple) Jungle is filled with such wild animals as cheetah and jaguar. (Sentence meant 2 wild animals and mentioned both)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Assumption - alternative health treatments   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2012, 02:40

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

Despite the lingering popularity of alternative health treat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap