Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Businessx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [73]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [21]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [6]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: In recent years, Western business managers have been heeding the [#permalink]
In the main idea question, the validity of the assumption is challenged only in the last paragraph. Although other options are not even related, I am not understanding how to tackle such type of questions. I had crossed this option as it only pertained to the 2nd paragraph.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: In recent years, Western business managers have been heeding the [#permalink]
rajeshgmat2019 wrote:
PLease explain the question number 3

rajeshgmat2019

Quote:
3) The author mentions "the success of a certain well-known Japanese automaker" most probably in order to

The Author mentions "the success of a certain well-known Japanese automaker" in para 1 to demonstrate the effectiveness of "strategic partnerships" with their external business partners (a Business practice) to the Western Management circles.

Option B resonates the same and is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
can someone help with n.5?
I'm struggling between A and D
I think what A means is the paraphrase of the "Not only do Japanese firms appear to conduct a far smaller proportion of their business through strategic partnerships than is commonly believed,", so why not A?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [3]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rinkumaa4 wrote:
why in the Q 3? E is wrong.

Expecting some better explanation though I choose B as my answer.

Regards

Hi Rinkumaa4

If you continue reading the last two lines of the first paragraph , you will notice that the strategy has already been adopted now so we can eliminate option E as it say they need to change their strategy. Also the second last line says "unquestioning belief within Western management circles in the value of strategic partnerships" , this clearly suggests a beleif that has made the West to change its business practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rebekah wrote:
I think what A means is the paraphrase of the "Not only do Japanese firms appear to conduct a far smaller proportion of their business through strategic partnerships than is commonly believed,", so why not A?

Happy to help. Actually answer A is the exact opposite of the right answer. The correct answer should have been " the extent to which Japanese firms rely on strategic partnerships"...What made the answer choice wrong is the first half " The belief within Western management circles "...The belief was the exact opposite of the finding regarding the extent of reliance on strategic partnership.Thus the answer is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
for easy question, we need prethink the answer before reading the answer choices. we can see a match and the job is done. but for the hard questions, prethinking helps us eliminate just 2 or 3 answer choices. for the last answer choice, POE (power of elimination) only works. POE permit us to realize the wrong answer choices which are close the the correct one. POE is powerfull in that it helps us realize the wrong answer choices which is wrong in only 1 or 2 words.

so, we prethink and we use POE. when we are stuck, think of POE.

after reading the question, the first natural action we do is prethinking the answer. but remember this works only for easy questions. if we are stuck, try to use POE.

many passages in gmat are easy to understand but their questions are hard. in this case, gmat want to test our ability to infer and this passage is called infering focused. process of infering is we need to infer an information similar to information in the correct answer from an information/a sentence in the passage. infering is not hard bur for infering fucused questions, prethinking dose not work because the infered information can not be prethought. only POE works in this case.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [4]

Send PM
Re: In recent years, Western business managers have been heeding the exhor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AlN wrote:
Can some one please tell me the explanation of Qn 4. I picked D

Question 4 asks us to find an example of "the practice referred to in the last sentence of the passage," so let's take another look at that sentence:
Quote:
Not only do Japanese firms appear to conduct a far smaller proportion of their business through strategic partnerships than is commonly believed, but they also make extensive use of “market-exchange” relationships, in which either party can turn to the marketplace and shift to different business partners at will, a practice usually associated with Western manufacturers

In this sentence, the author contrasts strategic partnerships with the practice of "market-exchange" relationships. In this practice, "either party can turn to the marketplace and shift to different business partners at will."

Let's apply this information to each answer choice:
Quote:
A. A department store chain that employs a single buyer to procure all the small appliances to be sold in its stores

The department store chain is employing a single buyer rather than shifting to different business partners. This is clearly not an example of a market-exchange relationship, so (A) is out.

Quote:
B. An automobile manufacturer that has used the same supplier of a particular axle component for several years in a row

Again, this manufacturer is using one supplier rather than shifting to different business partners. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
C. A hospital that contracts only with union personnel to staff its nonmedical positions

Contracting only union personnel is not a clear example of turning to the marketplace or shifting business partners at will. (C) is out.

Quote:
D. A municipal government that decides to cancel its contract with a waste disposal company and instead hire its own staff to perform that function

In this statement the municipal government cancels its contract with a partner, but it does not "turn to the marketplace" or "shift to different business partners." Instead, it decides to "hire its own staff to perform that function." Because the municipal government finds an internal solution in this scenario, this is not a good example of a market-exchange relationship. Answer choice (D) is out.

Now take another look at answer choice (E):
Quote:
E. A corporation that changes the food-service supplier for its corporate headquarters several times over a five-year period as part of a cost-cutting campaign.

Here, the corporation changes one supplier for another several times in order to cut costs. This is a clear example of "turn[ing] to the marketplace and shift[ing] to different business partners at will." (E) is the correct choice for question 4.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
GMATNinja
How is D a better answer than E for Q.4?
Please shed your thoughts..
Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja
Thanks in advance

(E) is the correct answer for question 4. Please see this post and let us know if it doesn't resolve your doubts.
Intern
Intern
Status:when you say,"I can or I can't", Both times you are right!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Debashis Roy wrote:
GMATNinja
Thanks in advance

Old research: strategic partnership means fewer suppliers.
New Research: Japanese Change strategic partnership frequently

E stands against the new research.

Hope It Helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Rebekah wrote:

The question is asking for the evidence to support 'new research' but option A isn't an evidence that supports it, rather option D is the right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
In recent years, Western business managers have been heeding the [#permalink]
Rebekah wrote:

It is quite simple. Option A is the claim (almost close) that the author makes and Option D is the evidence that he uses. A is a typical GMAT style trap choice.

I hope this helps!
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Somebody Please help with Ques 1.
I chose E as answer thinking that passage discussed about supplier relationships in Japanese and Western manufacturers.
Didn't get it.
Please clarify.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32924 [5]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos