Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: UWC
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 399
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 219 [1] , given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (01:28) correct 7% (00:41) wrong based on 825 sessions
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

A if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer
B rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer
C the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer
D the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that
E when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
User avatar
Status:
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 552
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 11

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 00:38
Clear C

Both parts of the sentence must be able to stand together, and this is most clear in C. For the other parts, the wording is awkward or both parts do not stand alone as sentences.
_________________

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog


Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 07:00
GyanOne wrote:
Clear C

Both parts of the sentence must be able to stand together, and this is most clear in C. For the other parts, the wording is awkward or both parts do not stand alone as sentences.

That's correct.

It's clearly seen that after reading the statement, we know that the structure: The higher ..., the longer ... should be used there. Hence, C is correct.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 54
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 59

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 02:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
The Higher.....The longer is the clue for me :-D
_________________

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 334
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:45
Expert's post
what could have been possible wrong with B?
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 334
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 147 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 20:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A and B can be eliminated right off the bat; manufacturers are not rating the watt-hour itself.

C is parallel and work well: "the higher..., the longer..."

D gets overly wordy and awkward by adding "it is that much", which ruins the parallel form.

E uses "it", which is ambiguous.

this is what i found on some other site.

Consider a Kudos if you find this post useful
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 86
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 08:06
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
what could have been possible wrong with B?


It is not clear in B
the modifier before the clause that starts with it. does it say the pronoun "it" is rating the watthour higher? does it modify the entire clause after comma? both are illogical.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: GMAT_Hound
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 334
Location: India
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 09:22
Expert's post
thanks for the co-ordination. I helped.
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 09:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
thanks for the grt explanation by you.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 205
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 2

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 03:31
pavan2185 wrote:
It is not clear in B
the modifier before the clause that starts with it. does it say the pronoun "it" is rating the watthour higher? does it modify the entire clause after comma? both are illogical.

B is actually worse than what you give it credit for: ).

rating the watt-hour higher is a participial phrase and so, will modify the word next to the participial phrase: it, nonsensically suggesting that it (and there is no referent for it, as is very evident, because there is no singular noun that it can refer to) is rating the watt-hour higher.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 12:37
Isn't semicolon should follow by an independent clause with SV+ a complete thought???? no?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 348
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 12

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 12:43
nyu2014 wrote:
Isn't semicolon should follow by an independent clause with SV+ a complete thought???? no?


yes and that's the case here too :
the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery is expected to last.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 12:50
Bluelagoon wrote:
nyu2014 wrote:
Isn't semicolon should follow by an independent clause with SV+ a complete thought???? no?


yes and that's the case here too :
the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery is expected to last.


The correct answer looks like this:


2. Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery can be expected.

What are the SV after semicolon? Battery expected?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 22:08
nyu2014 wrote:
2. Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery can be expected.

What are the SV after semicolon? Battery expected?


Invert the sentence in this way:

The battery can be expected to last longer.

Now it is easier to identify that Subject is "battery" and verb is "can be".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 22:11
saumya12 wrote:
nyu2014 wrote:
2. Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery can be expected.

What are the SV after semicolon? Battery expected?


Invert the sentence in this way:

The battery can be expected to last longer.

Now it is easier to identify that Subject is "battery" and verb is "can be".



Thanks! very clear! :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 20:40
macjas wrote:
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

A if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer
B rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer
C the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer
D the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that
E when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is


In this question two complete sentences are separated by a semi colon. Hence sentence on both the sides of semi colon should be complete sentences.

A) if they (subject) rate (verb) the watt-hour (object) higher (adverb - modifying rate), the longer (adverb) the battery(object) can be expected (verb) to last

In this option there is meaning issue as Manufacturers (they) can't rate watt-hours. Also there is lack of parallelism in if then construction

B) rating (verb) the watt-hour (object) higher (Adverb), it (place holder) is that much longer the battery(object) can be expected (verb) to last

This option doesn't have subject. Hence the sentence on the right side of semi colon is incomplete

C> the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery can be expected to last

Can experts take a short at construction of this option

D> the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that

Can experts take a short at construction of this option

E> when the watt-hour rating is higher (adverb modifier), the longer it is the battery (object) can be expected (verb) to last


Experts please help me to decode construction of C, D and E.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1780
Followers: 1239

Kudos [?]: 3422 [2] , given: 183

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 23:20
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mission2012 wrote:
macjas wrote:
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

A if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer
B rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer
C the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer
D the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that
E when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is


In this question two complete sentences are separated by a semi colon. Hence sentence on both the sides of semi colon should be complete sentences.

A) if they (subject) rate (verb) the watt-hour (object) higher (adverb - modifying rate), the longer (adverb) the battery(object) can be expected (verb) to last

In this option there is meaning issue as Manufacturers (they) can't rate watt-hours. Also there is lack of parallelism in if then construction

B) rating (verb) the watt-hour (object) higher (Adverb), it (place holder) is that much longer the battery(object) can be expected (verb) to last

This option doesn't have subject. Hence the sentence on the right side of semi colon is incomplete

C> the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery can be expected to last

Can experts take a short at construction of this option

D> the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that

Can experts take a short at construction of this option

E> when the watt-hour rating is higher (adverb modifier), the longer it is the battery (object) can be expected (verb) to last


Experts please help me to decode construction of C, D and E.



Hi Mission2012,

Let us solve this question using the 3 step process.

Original Sentence: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.


Meaning Analysis: Let’s look at the meaning of the sentence. The way this sentence has been written, it suggests that battery can last longer simply by being rated in higher watt-hour by the manufacturers. This does not make much sense because the manufacturers do no rate the battery on their free will. The batteries are made in different watt-hours and that is why the manufacturers rate them per their construction. The norm is that the higher the watt-hour, the longer the battery lasts.


Error Analysis: We have parallelism error here. This sentence uses “if… then…” construction. Hence, we have cause and effect here. These two constructions should be in parallel construction. The “if clause” is in active voice, but the “then clause” is in passive voice. Notice that the “if clause” can be easily written is passive voice because the “then clause” is in passive voice and falls in non-underlined portion of the sentence.


So even if the meaning of the sentence is not clear right away, we can still eliminate choice A on the basis of parallelism.


POE:


B. rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer:

Incorrect. Verb-ing modifier “rating” is modifying “it”. This modification is illogical. Also the cause and effect relationship is lost.


C. the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer:

Correct. Parallelism error is rectified. This choice also makes the meaning logical. It does not say that the manufacturers per their will rate the battery in watt-hours.


D. the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that:

Incorrect. This choice is completely ungrammatical. Pronoun “it” has no antecedent. The presence of “it is that much longer that” makes no sense in this choice.


E. when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is:

Incorrect. This is another ungrammatical choice. Presence of “the longer it is” makes no sense in the sentence.


Hope this helps :)


Thanks.

Shraddha
_________________



Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 295
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 00:49
in the idiomatic pattern "er...er", one of the clauses need no verb
this is the point we have to learn from og questions.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 514
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 239

CAT Tests
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 11:36
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
what could have been possible wrong with B?


Semi Colon is used to Connect two Independent clause. 2nd part in B is not an Independent Clause.
_________________

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 514
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 239

CAT Tests
Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 20:53
egmat wrote:
Mission2012 wrote:
macjas wrote:
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

A if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer
B rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer
C the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer
D the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that
E when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is


In this question two complete sentences are separated by a semi colon. Hence sentence on both the sides of semi colon should be complete sentences.

A) if they (subject) rate (verb) the watt-hour (object) higher (adverb - modifying rate), the longer (adverb) the battery(object) can be expected (verb) to last

In this option there is meaning issue as Manufacturers (they) can't rate watt-hours. Also there is lack of parallelism in if then construction

B) rating (verb) the watt-hour (object) higher (Adverb), it (place holder) is that much longer the battery(object) can be expected (verb) to last

This option doesn't have subject. Hence the sentence on the right side of semi colon is incomplete

C> the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer the battery can be expected to last

Can experts take a short at construction of this option

D> the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that

Can experts take a short at construction of this option

E> when the watt-hour rating is higher (adverb modifier), the longer it is the battery (object) can be expected (verb) to last


Experts please help me to decode construction of C, D and E.



Hi Mission2012,

Let us solve this question using the 3 step process.

Original Sentence: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.


Meaning Analysis: Let’s look at the meaning of the sentence. The way this sentence has been written, it suggests that battery can last longer simply by being rated in higher watt-hour by the manufacturers. This does not make much sense because the manufacturers do no rate the battery on their free will. The batteries are made in different watt-hours and that is why the manufacturers rate them per their construction. The norm is that the higher the watt-hour, the longer the battery lasts.


Error Analysis: We have parallelism error here. This sentence uses “if… then…” construction. Hence, we have cause and effect here. These two constructions should be in parallel construction. The “if clause” is in active voice, but the “then clause” is in passive voice. Notice that the “if clause” can be easily written is passive voice because the “then clause” is in passive voice and falls in non-underlined portion of the sentence.


So even if the meaning of the sentence is not clear right away, we can still eliminate choice A on the basis of parallelism.


POE:


B. rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer:

Incorrect. Verb-ing modifier “rating” is modifying “it”. This modification is illogical. Also the cause and effect relationship is lost.


C. the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer:

Correct. Parallelism error is rectified. This choice also makes the meaning logical. It does not say that the manufacturers per their will rate the battery in watt-hours.


D. the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that:

Incorrect. This choice is completely ungrammatical. Pronoun “it” has no antecedent. The presence of “it is that much longer that” makes no sense in this choice.


E. when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is:

Incorrect. This is another ungrammatical choice. Presence of “the longer it is” makes no sense in the sentence.


Hope this helps :)


Thanks.

Shraddha


As you mentioned the If..Then...should be used.

But You are saying-

The “if clause” is in active voice, but the “then clause” is in passive voice.

But the fact is that the then clause do not exists.
_________________

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 20:53
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic RATINGS Bunuel 2 17 Jul 2013, 12:47
Experts publish their posts in the topic Ratings Bunuel 0 25 Feb 2013, 09:35
Rate BDSunDevil 1 15 Oct 2011, 11:47
6 Rate of vs. Rate for agnok 3 30 May 2010, 02:36
rate question mike8c 4 26 Nov 2004, 20:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.