Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 01:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:47) correct 31% (01:19) wrong based on 937 sessions
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health,the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
D executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
E executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

The OA is intriguing... can someone shed some light?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Eg. I usually go grocery shopping Sunday = correct?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [4] , given: 2

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 02:46
This post received
KUDOS
A, B, C can be elimniated as 'his' can only refer to the chief executive and not to his plans.
Between D and E, 'plans to cut' is much better than 'plans that are to cut'.
D is the correct answer.
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1849 [14] , given: 253

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If the problem is about using Wednesday barely without the preposition on, then I would say tht it is an accepted version all over American journalism and composition to use timelines without the proposition on. This choice also proves GMAT has taken it. Otherwise, D is the correct choice for reasons given by gmatdog
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 06:20
Yea I was basically wondering about the missing preposition. I learnt something new today! 8-)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '17
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 09:55
Thank macjas for posting this topic. Although choosing the correct one, I still got the new things today. It's about the usage of preposition in set the date in journalism and news.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 10:15
by elimination selected A and D, then found "on" missing in D..marked A .. :/

if "on" is placed in D, it sounds perfect but daagh explanation made me learn something today. :)

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 12:39
macjas wrote:
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health,the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
D executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
E executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I chose (D) as well, based on the overall meaning of the sentence. "his" clearly references the chief executive however "chief executive's plans" is a possessive noun and "his" and "plans" do not go together. So the choices were narrowed down between (D) and (E). (E) was eliminated as "that" has no place in the clause as were are already talking about the plans and do not need reference it again.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 67

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 11:40
macjas wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Could someone explain why OffAnsw doesn't use preposition "on" before "Wednesday" ? Is it correct to say "executive announced plans Wednesday" instead of "executive announced plans on Wednesday"?
Thank you.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

i have an issue [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 19:36
with D in that doesn't it change the meaning of the phrase? The chief executive didn't announce it, rather his plans were announced. 2 totally different things, no?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 39

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 21:18
E teach us how to use relative pronoun

x of y , which/that

if y work , which modify y
if y dose not work and y modify x and can not be placed any where, which jump y to modify x
if y dose not modify x , which can not jump

e is in case 3rd.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 282

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
D is the best answer though there is some ambiguity with its meaning. The opening phrase says 'his strategy' then it should be followed by 'chief executive' not 'cheif executive's plan'

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 75

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 02:38
macjas wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Please notice "his" in the modifier. Thus a proper noun (not possessive noun like executive's plans) should come after the modifier. So, only D & E has this. And to express intent or purpose use "verb to" form . Therefore, D.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14, IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 23:06

Just taking modifers

Outlining his strategy ..... ,the chief executive's plans .....

Xing , Y

now is it not that X should modify Y .
Which is better ?

Outlining ..... CE's plan
Outlining .... CE

Your Kudos will motivate me :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 1507 [0], given: 122

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 15:35
eski wrote:
Which is better ?

Outlining ..... CE's plan
Outlining .... CE

This question is a classic case of dangling modifier

Chief Executive's plan cannot outline the strategy, only CE can do so.

The use of V+ing at the beginning of a sentence is often made to be dangling. Although this form is Verb modifier, It still need a noun subject that makes sense.

Hope it helps a little bit.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 59

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 06:28
Learned something new today....

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 652 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 05:58
daagh wrote:
If the problem is about using Wednesday barely without the preposition on, then I would say tht it is an accepted version all over American journalism and composition to use timelines without the proposition on. This choice also proves GMAT has taken it. Otherwise, D is the correct choice for reasons given by gmatdog

thx daagh,

i learned a new thing today...

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 59

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 04:26

POE:
1. Modifier --> Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health should modify executive ( and not executive's plan) so Option A,B,C are Incorrect.

2.Option D vs Option E ---> plans to cut the company's huge debt vs plans that are to cut the company's huge debt
Option E is wordy & construction is awkward.
so Option D is the correct choice!!

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 04:53
It is a 15-20 secs question.

The first is modifying CE not his plans, so be quick and eliminate A,B and C

Between D and E. Consider that after Wednesday there must be an infinitive to show the purpose so again be quick and choose D as the correct answers.

Happy days!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '16 (S)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 23

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 07:10
gpsao wrote:

POE:
1. Modifier --> Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health should modify executive ( and not executive's plan) so Option A,B,C are Incorrect.

2.Option D vs Option E ---> plans to cut the company's huge debt vs plans that are to cut the company's huge debt
Option E is wordy & construction is awkward.
so Option D is the correct choice!!

Hi Gpsao ,

Can you please explain how exactly you zeroed in that construction is awkward .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 01:33
macjas wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Outlining HIS strategy, therefore we cannot refer to his "plans", therefore, A/B/C gone.. "that are to cut" is ambiguous, so we go with D
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2014, 01:33