Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Owen (Vanderbilt) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
mbanerd16 wrote:
Is any current student part of this forum?

I accepted my admission offer last week. I will be attending in the fall.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

I am on my way to owen next year. I think because its a smaller cohort it gets less talk. This site is also dominated by indian applicants and it seems like less of a international target and more of a southern u.s. target from a applicant prospective. Don't get me wrong there are students from all over but it doesnt seem like the gmat club type of school.

There is also a lot of people coming from consulting firms so they probably are not as active on the forums. They are placed by their firm.

The admitted students dinner was awesome. I can tell you there are a lot of students coming in to the class that are impressive.

Hello,

My school list looks very similar to yours; I have been applied to most of the same schools as you. Why did you choose Owen in the end? My two concerns are:
1) many of the finance/consulting jobs seem to be in the healthcare sector.
2) many of the companies that students took a job at don't have vanderbilt listed as target schools on their websites.

Originally posted by mistablair on 17 Feb 2014, 17:01.
Last edited by mistablair on 28 Feb 2014, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V610
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mbanerd16 wrote:
I will be matriculating this fall as well.

Originally posted by Nine9nine on 17 Feb 2014, 19:22.
Last edited by Nine9nine on 18 Feb 2014, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Owen is very very selective with applicants hence they get an amazing class each year with 170-180 students. Being small in size it is very close knit.
Eagerly looking forward to meet my would be classmates in Apr during Admitted Students weekend.

mbanerd16 wrote:

I am on my way to owen next year. I think because its a smaller cohort it gets less talk. This site is also dominated by indian applicants and it seems like less of a international target and more of a southern u.s. target from a applicant prospective. Don't get me wrong there are students from all over but it doesnt seem like the gmat club type of school.

There is also a lot of people coming from consulting firms so they probably are not as active on the forums. They are placed by their firm.

The admitted students dinner was awesome. I can tell you there are a lot of students coming in to the class that are impressive.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great!! Congrats buddy!!

What is ur profile?

mholbrook wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

I accepted my admission offer last week. I will be attending in the fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
11 Feb was the deposit deadline for R1 accepted candidates - I reckon Owen AdCom to start getting more active for R2 people (6th Jan round) pretty soon.

Good luck, people! And congratulations to those who've decided to matriculate at Owen. It's a great school :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mistablair wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hello,

My school list looks very similar to yours; I have been accepted to most of the same schools as you. Why did you choose Owen in the end? My two concerns are:
2) many of the companies that students took a job at don't have vanderbilt listed as target schools on their websites.

Well I want to end up in the south. I have scholarhsips from all of them but Vanderbilt stuck out to me in terms of the tight knit community. I also think the school is on the rise. Are you doing consulting or banking and what is your background?

Also what schools on my list are you accepted to?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello,

My school list looks very similar to yours; I have been accepted to most of the same schools as you. Why did you choose Owen in the end? My two concerns are:

They are health care focused in recruiting but that is because they are known for that. People come specifically to the school to do health care. The place a ton of people at deliotte which is a core. Citi is a core. Plus baml, jpm, ubs, suntrust all come to school to recruit.

I dont think this should be looked at as a negative. Vanderbilt has a uncanny ability to place people at a ton of places. The fact that they place people at non-target schools should excite you not scare you.
Current Student
Send PM

Well I want to end up in the south. I have scholarhsips from all of them but Vanderbilt stuck out to me in terms of the tight knit community. I also think the school is on the rise. Are you doing consulting or banking and what is your background?

Also what schools on my list are you accepted to?

I am thinking the same thing. The South is the big draw. I need a break from the North. Owen's community and "core values" are what really draw me. The students and staff I have spoken to have been very helpful. Then again so have the other schools. I work in wealth management now and would like to stay in Finance, but move into something else so I can make a bigger impact. Moving other people's money around doesn't do it for me anymore. I want to help build something, not necessarily from scratch, but help create real long-term wealth in the world.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Web Design (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
mbanerd16 wrote:
I accepted my offer today. I'll graduate from Owen in 2016. :)

Hi,
I had been interviewed on the 30th of Jan,2014 and haven't heard back anything from the college. Does that mean a rejection? Approx how many days after your interview did you get an admit??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
daksha17 wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:
I accepted my offer today. I'll graduate from Owen in 2016. :)

Hi,
I had been interviewed on the 30th of Jan,2014 and haven't heard back anything from the college. Does that mean a rejection? Approx how many days after your interview did you get an admit??

Same Here..I have had been interviewed on 4th Feb 2014. What i see from the R1 guys on this forum is that they received the decision around the notification date...we have to wait till 14th March...The wait is killing....
Current Student
Send PM
thisisatestonlyatest,

I read your post on the Which School to Attend board. It was a good read going through your decision process.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mistablair wrote:
thisisatestonlyatest,

I read your post on the Which School to Attend board. It was a good read going through your decision process.

Have you come to a decision or closer to a decision?
Current Student
Send PM
mistablair wrote:
thisisatestonlyatest,

Have you come to a decision or closer to a decision?

Not yet. I'm still interviewing at schools. I will wait until I hear back from every school first, even if I'm 95% sure of where I'll end up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mistablair wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Both are correct! Unfortunately, if you are not in healthcare the range of possibilities is limited. Not all companies that visit Owen hire for all the positions and functions. For example, most companies hire only for HR positions.

Consider this carefully!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The place a ton of people at deliotte which is a core. Citi is a core. Plus baml, jpm, ubs, suntrust all come to school to recruit.

I dont think this should be looked at as a negative. Vanderbilt has a uncanny ability to place people at a ton of places. The fact that they place people at non-target schools should excite you not scare you.

1) Deloitte hired a ton of Owen students? 2 or 3 for strategy and operations and another few for human capital! Not sure what you mean by "core"...

2) If recruiters and companies don't come to campus, it is very difficult to get an interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Predator52 wrote:
The place a ton of people at deliotte which is a core. Citi is a core. Plus baml, jpm, ubs, suntrust all come to school to recruit.

1) Deloitte hired a ton of Owen students? 2 or 3 for strategy and operations and another few for human capital! Not sure what you mean by "core"...

2) If recruiters and companies don't come to campus, it is very difficult to get an interview.

So 5 people were placed at Deloitte last yr which is pretty high considering the class. People also went to Bain and mckensey. 21% of the class went to consulting and 17% was to management strat , 4% healthcare consulting. Core means they have a standing relationship with Owen and hire their students.

As far as finance they avg about 8% into ib. Thats decent considering you are outside the m7. Cornell only puts about 11-12% and they are in ny. Citi is a core school again go look it up predator.

Something is fishy about predator. You just joined today and are talking relatively negative about your own school. Hmmmm . You don't know your own core recruiters and you stated that companies that come to you school dont really come. I would take predators info with a grain of salt.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts