Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 21:59 It is currently 06 May 2024, 21:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
Re: Best business schools in Canada [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
CarlMtl wrote:
blah23 wrote:
As a somebody who currently works in MC in Calgary and looking to go for a Canadian MBA I'll give my thoughts and thoughts of others I've talked to while doing my research on schools.

1 - Alberta schools are not viewed to be impressive, I would not suggest these schools for MC or high finance. We do have a few local MBA grads in our group, but I would say they are the exception over the rule. After talking with people in finance, mostly PE, they have all recommended not doing a western Canada MBA.

2 - If you are looking to break into O&G, an Albertan based MBA could suit your needs. I think it could probably get you into areas like supply chain, logistics and other functions without too much strain at large O&G producers

3 - Ivey, U of T and Queens are generally viewed as the better schools here. I don't hear Sauder mentioned much at all, so I'm not sure and how it fits in but I haven't seen too many grads from the MBA program (if any?)

4 - U of T does not have a network out here, I imagine there are a few people but I cannot name one. So expect a much weaker network

5 - Ivey and Queens have the best networks in Calgary and are more respected, although I think Queens may get this reputation from having a strong undergrad program

6 - Our MC (Canada wide) practice took on 2 MBA interns this year, 1 from McGill and 1 from Booth. So no U of T MBAs got summer gigs with us and of course none from the 1 year programs

Blah23,

I recently wrote an article on the subject, take a look and let me know what you think
Cheers,

Carl

The article looks pretty good, I've thrown together a quick process flow of showing where the schools strengths are. I think if you are set on GTA you have a number of options, but outside of GTA you either need to go to a school with a strong brand/network or one that places very well in your region/industry. I will admit I'm not as familiar with McGill or Sauder relative to the other programs
Attachments

Canadian MBA.jpg
Canadian MBA.jpg [ 88.78 KiB | Viewed 7269 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Really useful information. I'm kind of down to two colleges after reading this. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
Hi there ladies and gents,

I want your opinion on what the top 5 business schools in Canada are. I know every publication ranks them differently, but what are your thoughts?

Based on my research and obvious bias, I would say the following:
1. Desautels
2. Rotman
3. Schulich
4. Ivey
5. Sauder

Let the battle begin!

I will love to know, the best B schools in Canada for consulting, keeping in mind the job prospects for international candidates
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Best business schools in Canada [#permalink]
dshuvendu wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:

I want your opinion on what the top 5 business schools in Canada are. I know every publication ranks them differently, but what are your thoughts?

1. Desautels
2. Rotman
3. Schulich
4. Ivey
5. Sauder

Let the battle begin!

I will love to know, the best B schools in Canada for consulting, keeping in mind the job prospects for international candidates

If you want to get into consulting, I don't think it matters which of these schools you choose. What matters (especially for MBB) is getting a GMAT of 700 or above, an MBA GPA of 3.7 or above, practising a ton of cases and networking your way into an interview.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Best business schools in Canada [#permalink]
My Suggestions are:
Alberta School of Business
Asper School of Business
DeGroote School of Business
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
CarlMtl wrote:
dshuvendu wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:

1. Desautels
2. Rotman
3. Schulich
4. Ivey
5. Sauder

Let the battle begin!

If you want to get into consulting, I don't think it matters which of these schools you choose. What matters (especially for MBB) is getting a GMAT of 700 or above, an MBA GPA of 3.7 or above, practising a ton of cases and networking your way into an interview.

Sorry for the delay in response.

Thanks for your reply. If they aren't different in any way, what is more interesting is why do they have a good difference in terms of tuition fees. :) However, i could infer the recruiting schools actually look at the GMAT score as well. In addition to it, I should look at the schools which has a good alumni network because of being an international candidate. Thank you so much. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Good information about the top Colleges in Canada. Anyway you can also check Rotman School of Management, Concordia University and McGill MBA. Try these best colleges.
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lots of good insight on this thread. If interested, take a look at The Economist's ranking of the top 100 Full Time MBA Programmes (globally). About four programmes in Canada made the list:

York University
Concordia University
HEC Montréal
University of Toronto
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Great info about canada schools!

I'm a tech guy with 5 yr experience. What is the best school for tech students?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Легче сказать, чем сделать.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
Send PM
lvbd wrote:
Great info about canada schools!

I'm a tech guy with 5 yr experience. What is the best school for tech students?

Does anyone have any information regarding the Schulich MBA in India program? Is it worth the money?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q166 V160
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Coming from India, I want to break into MBB firms through a Canadian program, which one of these would help me do that from my current background in consumer goods industry...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello All;

could anyone insight about EMBA-Haskayne school of business- Global Energy Management? I am willing to apply for class 2016. I do have over 12 years experience and 9 years in O&G.

Any suggestions or reviews shall be highly appreciable.

Thanks

Rish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
And how do we rank HEC Montreal compared to other B schools in Canada? Particularly UBC Sauders and McGill
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
From a Canadian’s perspective, I’d be weary about placing a heavy emphasis on salary for a metric on business school effectiveness. As an undergrad finance major from Edwards (under rated school IMO) I made more money than the average Rotman MBA grad. Your salary is really determined by your ability to drive value to the bottom line of the company you’re working for. If you’re driven to succeed, intelligent and hungry, you will realize your potential regardless of the brand name behind your degree. I echo the sentiment that we’re lucky to have such good quality schools in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4