Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Long Passagex   Social Sciencex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 573 [55]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [25]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [7]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
My .02,

I solved the RC and not appalled I had a similar opinion about the answer key provided here. I Google this passage and found this right answer key (hopefuly!) and I got 6/8 right, so I am just not copy pasting the key and giving vague reasons as to why these answers are correct, I am giving my own reasons. The two I got wrong, I know the reason!!

Please, don't hold it against me, if you don't agree with this key, it is what I found and I feel it's pretty close to the correct choice!

1/A
Pretty clear why this is correct so won't dig into this one.
2/B
REASON: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study of Black soldiers and their White officers in the Civil War, but it uses more soldiers’ letters and diaries including rare material from Black soldiers— and concentrates more intensely on Black-White relations in Black regiments than do any of its predecessors.
3/D
REASON: Glatthaar’s title expresses his thesis: loyalty, friendship, and respect among White officers and Black soldiers were fostered by the mutual dangers they faced in combat.
4/B
REASON: Glatthaar accurately describes the government's discriminatory treatment of Black soldiers in pay, promotion, medical care, and job assignments, appropriately emphasizing the campaign by Black soldiers and their officers to get the opportunity to fight.
5/C
REASON: Talking about the condition here-->That chance remained limited throughout the war by army policies that kept most Black units serving in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions.
6/C
REASON: attitude changed--->Despite these obstacles, the courage and effectiveness of several Black units in combat won increasing respect from initially skeptical or hostile White soldiers. As one White officer put it, “they have fought their way into the respect of all the army.”
7/D
--- I am not sure why D is correct, coz I chose A!
8/E
REASON: Here the are saying what happened earlier is deemed inappropriate by today's standard, that's exactly what option is saying, "politician is deemed corrupt by today's standard"--> By current standards of racial egalitarianism, these men's paternalism toward African Americans was racist. But to call their feelings “powerful racial prejudices” is to indulge in generational chauvinism—to judge past eras by present standards.

Thanks,

-K
Manager
Manager
Status:Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [1]
Given Kudos: 257
Send PM
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
Kudos
Shouldn't the answer for 8 be A?

A. mentions present day traits for monarch is compared with past monarchs.

This is inline with what the passage suggest where author is pointing out the traits for white men based on history?

E. states that the politician actually engaged in corrupt practice similar to past politicians.

can someone convince me that E is correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Why is the fifth one C... C) they were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.?

Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great.
Why cant it be D?
(d) they resulted in extremely high overall casualty rates in black combat units.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
5) The passage suggests that which of the following was true of
Black units’ disease mortality rates in the Civil War?

A) They were almost as high as the combat mortality rates
of White units.
B) They resulted in part from the relative inexperience of
these units when in combat.
C) They were especially high because of the nature of these
units’ usual duty assignments.
D) They resulted in extremely high overall casualty rates in
Black combat units.
E) They exacerbated the morale problems that were caused
by the army’s discriminatory policies.

Could someone reason why would he/she would discard option E?

Thank you so much.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
EBITDA,

Look back at the context of the material on disease mortality. The author is saying that the black units were able to be courageous and effective despite this problem. There is no mention of morale problems, let alone any suggestion that disease morality exacerbated this problem (made it worse). If anything, this would be the opposite of the author's reasoning.

Clever username, by the way. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey all,
Let's break down this passage and then head on over to the questions that gave us the most grief.
Pasting and highlighting only the most important aspects of the passage:

Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study of Black soldiers and their White officers in the Civil War, but it uses more soldiers’ letters and diaries including rare material from Black soldiers... Glatthaar accurately describes the government's discriminatory treatment of Black soldiers... Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great. Despite these obstacles, the courage and effectiveness of several Black units in combat won increasing respect from initially skeptical or hostile White soldiers. As one White officer put it, “they have fought their way into the respect of all the army.”

In trying to demonstrate the magnitude of this attitudinal change, however, Glatthaar seems to exaggerate the prewar racism of the White men... While perhaps true of those officers who joined Black units for promotion or other self-serving motives, this statement misrepresents the attitudes of the many ... Having spent years fighting against the race prejudice endemic in American society, they participated eagerly in this military experiment, which they hoped would help African Americans achieve freedom and postwar civil equality. By current standards of racial egalitarianism, these men's paternalism toward African Americans was racist. But to call their feelings “powerful racial prejudices” is to indulge in generational chauvinism—to judge past eras by present standards.

Great: so it's a literary analysis of Glatthaar’s work and the author of this passage feels that "although his analysis is good, Galatthaar does exaggerate the extent of racial prejudice"
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Joseph Glatthaars Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
=11ptBy the way, for all those using the GMAT to master American English, please note that we do not actually capitalize the word "black" when talking about people. We capitalize African American because it is a designation of ethnicity/nationality based on two place names (similar to Asian-American, etc.). Since "black" is not a place-specific descriptor, it should not be capitalized. It should be used as an adjective to describe people, and never as a stand-alone noun.

Retracting this advice, which is outdated at best. Many Black Americans now prefer to see that descriptor capitalized, although usage varies. 

Originally posted by DmitryFarber on 30 May 2016, 13:05.
Last edited by DmitryFarber on 25 Feb 2024, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Let's look at Q1.

The passage as a whole can best be characterized as which of the following?
Compare answers with the gist we assimilated.
(a) an evaluation of a scholarly study - YES the author's main concern is evaulating Glatthaar’s work!
(b) a description of an attitudinal change - WRONG, this is a secondary point made to support the author's perspective (that Glatthaar’s exaggerates)
(e) an argument in favor of revising a view - WRONG, the author doesn't really argue for anything here

Pro Tip: When the author of the passage discusses a book or a writer, remember that the primary purpose of the passage is most probably going to be the evaluation of that book or the writer! Also, be cautious of answer options that discuss the perspectives of the writer (of the book under discussion) and not that of the author (of the passage).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pradeepss wrote:
Shouldn't the answer for 8 be A?

A. mentions present day traits for monarch is compared with past monarchs.

This is inline with what the passage suggest where author is pointing out the traits for white men based on history?

E. states that the politician actually engaged in corrupt practice similar to past politicians.

can someone convince me that E is correct?

Hi pradeepss,
This question expects you to pick an option that best parallels the same kind of logic / scenario mentioned in the passage.

The passage talks about generational chauvinism - to judge past eras by present standards.
It talks about judging the officers from past generations according to present day standards.

Option A talks about judging present day monarchs because of the actions of past generations : if you observe carefully, you realize
that option A is not an example of generational chauvinism.

Option E talks about labeling a nineteenth-century politician as "corrupt" for engaging in once-acceptable practices considered intolerable today.
This is exactly what the author describes as "generational chauvinism" to describe how the officers of the past have been judged.

Hope that helps,
Peo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can someone explain number 2? My answer was C, because the second paragraph mentions the exaggeration the Glathaar makes which could be interpreted as a generalization, since the author mentions in the end that phrase with Chauvism.

As it stands, the OA only refers to the first paragraph, and not the whole passage.

Can someone please elaborate for me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bounce1987 wrote:
Need help with question 4 please.

appropriately emphasising the campaign by Black soldiers and their officers to get the opportunity to fight.

Author of the passage says that Glatthaar appropriately emphasises the campaign...

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Can anyone please give me detail explaination of Q7?
I can locate the relevant information - the "exaggerate" part but still don't know the meaning of option D in Q7. Though I could choose it by eliminating the other options
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 503
Send PM
How do we know that its referring to a scholarly study?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
anish823 wrote:
How do we know that its referring to a scholarly study?

I assume you are referring to the first question...

Quote:
1. The passage as a whole can best be characterized as which of the following?

(A) An evaluation of a scholarly study
(B) A description of an attitudinal change
(C) A discussion of an analytical defect
(D) An analysis of the causes of a phenomenon
(E) An argument in favor of revising a view

There are many clues from which we can infer that this is a scholarly study. For example, in the first sentence, the author refers to Glatthaar's work as an "excellent study of Black soldiers and their White officers in the Civil War." Later in the first paragraph the author says that, "Glatthaar’s title expresses his thesis" (a "thesis" could surely be the topic of a scholarly study).

We are also told that Glatthaar's work "concentrates more intensely on Black-White relations in Black regiments than do any of its predecessors." So while the passage never explicitly refers to the work as a "scholarly study", it is clear that the work examines race relations in the Civil War era. This certainly sounds like a scholarly (or "academic") study.

More importantly, choice (A) is better than any of the other choices, which you should try to eliminate using POE.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Can someone explain question 5. It says that Black units' disease mortality rates were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.

According to the passage, Black units served in rear-echelon assignments and worked in labor battalions. So, what exactly was the issue with the nature of "rear-echelon assignments and labor battalions"? I had the impression that the working conditions and hygiene issues were there, but this was not really related to "nature of duty", but more related to the living conditions. Where did I get it wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

4. The passage mentions which of the following as an important theme that receives special emphasis in Glatthaar's book?

(A) The attitudes of abolitionist officers in Black units
(B) The struggle of black units to get combat assignments
(C) The consequences of the poor medical care received by Black soldiers
(D) The motives of officers serving in Black units
(E) The discrimination that Black soldiers faced when trying for promotions

can you please explain why choice A is incorrect? I know why B is correct but I can't find enough grounds to eliminate A. After all, there is a whole parg dedicated to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Took 11 minutes 12 seconds.
Got 7/8 correct. Missed the trick for question 5. Could have got that right had I not been hasty. Overall a good passage to practice. Quite possible to see such a passage in the exam.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts