GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 22:06
jackspire Answer choice A is the opposite of what we want. The passage defines generational chauvinism as judging the past by present standards. A is a case of judging someone in the present based on what other people did in the past.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 18:45
Hi GMATNinja,

I was wondering could you please explain why Q5 OA is C? From the passage I was able to infer that Black units' disease mortality rates were high based on the following sentence from the passage "Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great". My question is how can we infer the bold part in the following sentence: "Black units' disease mortality rates were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.. I was confused on this latter part and ended up picking the wrong option because I was not able to infer that their mortality rates were high because of the nature of their duty assignments. Could you please help in regards to this? Would greatly appreciate it!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 14:17
Sorry for the delay on these questions! Feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button so that we're a little bit more likely to see your question.

oasis90 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

4. The passage mentions which of the following as an important theme that receives special emphasis in Glatthaar's book?

(A) The attitudes of abolitionist officers in Black units
(B) The struggle of black units to get combat assignments
(C) The consequences of the poor medical care received by Black soldiers
(D) The motives of officers serving in Black units
(E) The discrimination that Black soldiers faced when trying for promotions

can you please explain why choice A is incorrect? I know why B is correct but I can't find enough grounds to eliminate A. After all, there is a whole parg dedicated to it.

Choice (A) is tempting, but take a second look at the last two sentences in paragraph #2. A White officer is quoted, but these sentences are discussing the attitudes of White soldiers, not abolitionist officers. Then, to demonstrate this "attitudinal change..., Glatthaar seems to exaggerate the prewar racism of the White men who became officers in Black regiments."

Yes, Glatthaar mentions the attitudes of abolitionist officers in Black units but only to make a broader point about the shift in attitudes. In doing so, Glatthaar "misrepresents the attitudes of the many abolitionists who became officers in Black regiments." So the point of the 3rd paragraph is not that Glatthaar gives special emphasis to the attitudes of abolitionist officers. Instead, the point is that Glatthaar's description of their attitudes (i.e. 'virtually all of them held powerful racial prejudices') is misleading.

Although Glatthaar certainly mentions the attitudes of these officers, were are not told that Glatthaar gives special emphasis to those attitudes. We are specifically told that Glatthaar appropriately emphasizes "the campaign by Black soldiers and their officers to get the opportunity to fight", so (B) is a much better answer.

Nived wrote:
Can someone explain question 5. It says that Black units' disease mortality rates were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.

According to the passage, Black units served in rear-echelon assignments and worked in labor battalions. So, what exactly was the issue with the nature of "rear-echelon assignments and labor battalions"? I had the impression that the working conditions and hygiene issues were there, but this was not really related to "nature of duty", but more related to the living conditions. Where did I get it wrong.

csaluja wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I was wondering could you please explain why Q5 OA is C? From the passage I was able to infer that Black units' disease mortality rates were high based on the following sentence from the passage "Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great". My question is how can we infer the bold part in the following sentence: "Black units' disease mortality rates were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.. I was confused on this latter part and ended up picking the wrong option because I was not able to infer that their mortality rates were high because of the nature of their duty assignments. Could you please help in regards to this? Would greatly appreciate it!

The author tells us that most Black units were kept serving "in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great."

The use of the word "Thus" allows us to infer that because Black units were kept in rear-echelon assignments and NOT given as many opportunities to fight (i.e. in the front), their combat death rate was lower. Furthermore, because Black units were kept in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions, their mortality rate from disease was twice as great.

Even though we don't know what specifically caused the higher disease rates in those jobs, we can infer that something about working in rear-echelon assignments and in labor battalions increased mortality rates from disease. In other words, we can infer that being assigned to these duties increased your chances of catching fatal diseases.

We don't know why that is true, but we can infer that something about those duties (i.e. something inherent to those duties... the nature of those duties) made units assigned to those duties more likely to contract fatal diseases. Thus, the passage suggests (though it does not prove) that the disease mortality rates of Black units during the Civil War were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.

Choice (C) is the best answer.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 01:30
Overall the passage describes one scholarly study, forged in battle, and then points out accuracies and potential misrepresentations of the study.

Question 4
A - I incorrectly selected A since the abolitionists are briefly described in P3. Although mentioned, the abolitionists aren't exactly a theme that's emphasised.
The study is based on soldiers' letters and diaries, and the general vibe of this passage is that the study is based on difficulties faced by the blacks. For this reason A is incorrect.
B in the first sentence of the second paragraph it is stated "Glatthaar accurately describes the governments discriminatory treatment of blacks...., appropriately emphasizing the campaign by Blacks to get the opportunity to fight.

It's easy to miss this, particularly when the answer isn't verbatim.
C is incorrect as it is briefly discussed as a by-product of the crappy combat assignments
D is incorrect as the motives are briefly mentioned, they aren't exactly central.
E is incorrect as it misconstrues the situation - discrimination was present all the time, not just during promotions.

Question 7
The author argues that Glatthaar over-exaggerates the pre-war racism while attempting to demonstrate the magnitude of the attitude change (whites accepted blacks)

A is incorrect because no distinction or argument is made. The author merely states that Glatthaar overstates things.
B is incorrect, the evidence is relevant but the interpretation is overexaggerated
C is incorrect, no motivations of particular individuals are referenced in this section. The error is in Glatthaar's representation of fact.
E is incorrect because there aren't two events. There's just a general situation and then the author's interpretation of that situation
D is correct because Glatthaar describes the conditions existing at the time using quotes etc. then provides his perspective, which, according to the author, is exaggerated

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 04:33
LogiquestGMAT wrote:
pradeepss wrote:
Shouldn't the answer for 8 be A?

A. mentions present day traits for monarch is compared with past monarchs.

This is inline with what the passage suggest where author is pointing out the traits for white men based on history?

E. states that the politician actually engaged in corrupt practice similar to past politicians.

can someone convince me that E is correct?

Hi pradeepss,
This question expects you to pick an option that best parallels the same kind of logic / scenario mentioned in the passage.

The passage talks about generational chauvinism - to judge past eras by present standards.
It talks about judging the officers from past generations according to present day standards.

Option A talks about judging present day monarchs because of the actions of past generations : if you observe carefully, you realize
that option A is not an example of generational chauvinism.

Option E talks about labeling a nineteenth-century politician as "corrupt" for engaging in once-acceptable practices considered intolerable today.
This is exactly what the author describes as "generational chauvinism" to describe how the officers of the past have been judged.

Hope that helps,
Peo

Hi Logiquest,

Do you think you could explain why Q8 Option "clinging to standards of politeness..." can be discarded as an example of generational chauvinism?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 00:59
MoulikaSaxena Notice that the correct answer explicitly states that the behavior was once considered acceptable, but is no longer viewed that way. It's not clear whether the behavior described in B was considered acceptable at the time, nor do we see any indication that it would be judged as improper today.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 02:11
Hello, I am not getting enough confidence in reading and answering RC and CR question. Whenever I think that I am going to take a quiz, I can't give my full potential to grasp the topics of RC passages, because something is disturbing my mind and I can't resist it. But, when I read any newspaper or journal article passage normally without any pressure of timing or fear of answering wrong, I can give my full potential and I feel very comfortable at that time. When it comes to taking quiz, this problem arises. Can anyone give a good solution for this problem? Is this problem common for GMAT takers??
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2019, 02:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics