Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 05:39 It is currently 03 May 2024, 05:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Oxford
 Q50  V49
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2009 applicants [#permalink]
Bokke wrote:
Went to the Open Day last week and was very impressed. Unless Cambridge knocks my socks off on Monday, I won't be attending Judge.

Hi Bokke, and congrats! :) But perhaps you will like Cambridge too - you probably will have a city tour as a part of the Interview Day :wink: Good luck for Monday!

Quote:
Please visit the thread displayed below and submit your vote:

Hello, Pathfinder - I will be glad to vote in your thread, but it seems I'm not authorised to see it :( So perhaps it was moved to the restricted area or smth like that...
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Quote:
Hello, Pathfinder - I will be glad to vote in your thread, but it seems I'm not authorised to see it So perhaps it was moved to the restricted area or smth like that...

Strange... It shouldn't be restricted area, I don't know what's going on... I've just followed the link and entered the thread without problems.

It is in Feedback Forum:
GMAT Club Forum Index » Business School and MBA » Feedback Forum

Try again, if you fail I'll contact bb and see what is going on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks to everyone!!! and congrats Ryanj and Bokke!!!

Greenoak,
Yes, I will accept the place as soon as I find out a feasible way to fund it.

btw, does someone know what is the start date of the programme, or when are we supposed to be there?
also, did someone get a scholarship? in the website they state "Candidates will be notified if they are successful upon acceptance to the MBA course" for the Saïd Business School Scholarships, but when, is there an specific date? I know most of the scholarships should be gone on the previous rounds.... but, just in case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Bolso,

Compulsory activities start on September 30, and classes themselves two weeks later. But it's advisable to arrive at least several days earlier. I know that some people will move to Oxford as early as August (for English courses).

As for scholarships... well, nobody on the forums mentioned that he/she got one. I guess they were quite rare from the very beginning. But AFAIK, generic SBS scholarships are awarded in each round, so there's still a chance. The decisions are made several days after the admits are released, so you'll have to wait.

Also, you'll receive a email with the instruction how to access Intranet, and I think it could be worth to log in: there is news and announcements section there (to keep track of scholarship decisions :wink: ), and also some pages with course information. Oh, and forum, of course :) .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone, it's probably a long shot for me now, but I'm going to have a go at applying for Oxford. Only three days to the deadline though and I need to start my essays. Looks like there's a lot of useful information here in this long thread which I am in the process of reading through. Are there any other threads on this forum that contains good advice on what Oxford would find attractive in the essays?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
 Q50  V49
Send PM
Don't worry about three days left. I wrote my essays the day of, and it was good enough for an admit. I personally don't agree that taking months and millions of drafts to compose your essays is necessary. Sure, if you want to do it, knock yourself out, but not doing it won't get you dinged.

Anyway, I went to Cambridge and I was not impressed. At Oxford, I think I heard the word "Cambridge" two or three times. At Cambridge, I heard the word "Oxford" non-stop. It baffles me that they have an inferiority complex despite being the higher ranked school. I also got the LBS interview invite, so we'll see what happens there, but I am doing my research on Oxford colleges in the mean time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
mujimania wrote:
Hi everyone, it's probably a long shot for me now, but I'm going to have a go at applying for Oxford. Only three days to the deadline though and I need to start my essays.

Wow, Mujimania,

To prepare a solid app in just three days is a real challenge. You need not only to write essays, but also fill-in the online application itself, and also make sure your recommenders submitted their answers in time. Still, nothing is impossible :)

Oxford looks in your app for almost the same that every other school does – they try to understand the real you: What was your career path? Why you chose to build your career in exactly that way? What matters most to you? What goals of further professional and personal development do you set for yourself? etc. Note that Oxford second essay is considered among the toughest ones.

Aside from this thread, you may check Clear Admit’s Oxford essay topic analysis:

https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/09/oxford-said-essay-topic-analysis-2008-2009/

Good luck!
Though consider carefully – do you really need to push yourself for R4 deadline? :wink:

Bokke wrote:
Anyway, I went to Cambridge and I was not impressed. At Oxford, I think I heard the word "Cambridge" two or three times. At Cambridge, I heard the word "Oxford" non-stop.

Hey, Bokke,

Seems you didn't like 'the other place' :) Have you got their decision already?
It's strange that you experienced so many talks about Oxford: there was nothing of the kind during my Interview Day... On the contrary, I'd say they tried to avoid the direct comparison (even if asked directly - naturally, that's what I did :wink: ).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hi bolso, ryanj and Bokke. Congratulations on Oxford. I know you guys will do the sensible thing and matriculate :-D

sorry i've been offline for a few days, hence the late congratulations.

If you guys are ever in town - do drop me a line.

-buff
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Greenoak and Bokke, thanks a lot for the useful information
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Submitted my app for R4.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was typing and editing my essays right up till midnight on Friday, the deadline time. When I submitted them there were still quite a few basic grammatical errors, so I guess it'll be a miracle if I get through. I know the value of my application will be penalized quite severely but should I abandon all hope of getting an interview invite?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Good luck for R4!

Mujimania:
Don't worry about those simple mistakes; they won't work against you if the content is good. Also, the weight the adcom put on your essay depends on other aspects of your application. If you have a very strong profile and are from rare demographic, all you need is to write something more or less coherent. But, if your overall profile is on their average level (I mean 'just OK' but not 'Wow!') - then, of course, the importance of having decent essays grows higher.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
Good luck for R4!

Mujimania:
Don't worry about those simple mistakes; they won't work against you if the content is good. Also, the weight the adcom put on your essay depends on other aspects of your application. If you have a very strong profile and are from rare demographic, all you need is to write something more or less coherent. But, if your overall profile is on their average level (I mean 'just OK' but not 'Wow!') - then, of course, the importance of having decent essays grows higher.

Thanks, You've given me a glimmer of hope to cling onto!
Retired Moderator
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Well, ladies and gents, it's been a long time since December 3rd when I was admitted to Judge. I had several weeks of thinking and researching since I was taken off the Wharton's wait list. Yesterday, i made my decision and withdrew my application from Judge Business School.

Although I'm not comming to UK for b-school I hope we'll see each other on some London event you are going to organize.

Good luck to you all volks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Good luck to you, Pathfinder!

I certainly understand your decision, and yet I can't stop regretting that you will not be in the UK with us...

I'm sure that your Wharton experience will be amazing, and also hope that we'll meet again someday... preferrably earlier than we all became old and rusty business bigwigs :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
has any SBS admit recieved the visa forms, esp people in India?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Good luck all R4 applicants for today! Let us know about the interview decisions.

Devil420: I'm not in India, but I still haven't received anything. But I hope it will be soon as I already confirmed the draft version via e-mail.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30