Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
cowabungaman7 wrote:
omegakappa wrote:

Screw it, I am submitting too.

Done!! :) :) :)

Congrats! I'm jealous :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
jdharris wrote:
cowabungaman7 wrote:
omegakappa wrote:

Screw it, I am submitting too.

Done!! :) :) :)

Congrats! I'm jealous :P

In with the jealousy too :-D Congrats peeps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I am curious how important these items are to Stanford Adcoms by rank: resume, essays, application form, recommendation, GMAT, GPA (and content of transcript). Any opinion, guys?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
sky65536 wrote:
I am curious how important these items are to Stanford Adcoms by rank: resume, essays, application form, recommendation, GMAT, GPA (and content of transcript). Any opinion, guys?

I'm an applicant myself, and definately no expert on this, but I'm not so sure it's a rank thing - I guess that the overall profile it's what matters, and all elements should lead to that.

Resume and essays should definately be polished as best as possible; GPA - it's probably too late to do anything about it anyways, and a good GMAT meas you're ready to tackle the academic level... but I doubt a good GMAT can diferentiate too much, as many people bring good GMAT scores, especially at a school like Stanford.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Send PM
sky65536 wrote:

I would say almost for any school rank assuming no extremes should be the following

1. Resume
2. GMAT
3. Application form
4. Essays
5. GPA
6. Recommendations

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I think that it is never that straightforward. They always look at the entire package, but I think here is how it works (at least this is my impression of the process):
1. They use GMAT scores and geographic locations to put people into buckets;
2. After they have their buckets organized they break them down into smaller "sub-buckets" based on industry and work experience;
3. If there is not enough prestige in your work experience, they might look for it in your academic background and GPA or extra-curriculars;
4. They want to know WHY you need an MBA. So they will read your essays. Your chances will be affected negatively if you have prestige everywhere, such as MBB consulting, HYP undergrad, but come off as an immature individual in your essays. And on the contrary, if you don't have prestige in your experience or education but have a unique story to tell, your chances will be boosted;
5. Recommendations are there for QA purposes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Submitted woot!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Send PM
gotti wrote:
Submitted woot!

Hope you make it!
Good luck

Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello everyone - I am a current student at the GSB and I am happy to extend myself as a resource to anyone who wants to learn more about the MBA program (culture, curriculum, etc.). This forum was a big source of help for me as I was applying, so I simply want to return the favor. If you want to learn more about the GSB, please feel free to PM me and we can get a conversation started. I'll try to steer clear of providing subjective advice on your profile / odds, etc., but would be happy to help you get to know the school better. Cheers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
How far back are you all going on the Professional Experience section of the application? I have had a job since I was 14, but I'm obviously not planning to go back that far. Maybe start with jobs while in college?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
secondtimesthecharm wrote:
How far back are you all going on the Professional Experience section of the application? I have had a job since I was 14, but I'm obviously not planning to go back that far. Maybe start with jobs while in college?

I'm in a similar situation, and I've approached it by picking out those jobs that are relevant for the story I'm telling in my application. The rest, that I did "just to make money" I didn't include (also not on my resume) since they're not things I absolutely want the adcom to know about (apart from the fact that I've always had jobs because I had to work myself through college, but you can already indicate that elsewhere).

Only thing I'm thinking is there will be a lot of repetition on my resume and the application form but I don't think there's a away around that...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
AylaSmith wrote:

I'm in a similar situation, and I've approached it by picking out those jobs that are relevant for the story I'm telling in my application. The rest, that I did "just to make money" I didn't include (also not on my resume) since they're not things I absolutely want the adcom to know about (apart from the fact that I've always had jobs because I had to work myself through college, but you can already indicate that elsewhere).

Only thing I'm thinking is there will be a lot of repetition on my resume and the application form but I don't think there's a away around that...

I agree. I only included positions/jobs which are coherent with the overall story I talked about in the essays. For instance, I did 2 internships before my first real job after college, but didn't include those as the application was already pretty long, and they didn't add much value. I also tried as much as possible to avoid repeating the very same bullet points on the resume, and briefly add some further interesting and coherent stories on "accomplishment"/"challenges".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
NandoParrado wrote:
AylaSmith wrote:

I agree. I only included positions/jobs which are coherent with the overall story I talked about in the essays. For instance, I did 2 internships before my first real job after college, but didn't include those as the application was already pretty long, and they didn't add much value. I also tried as much as possible to avoid repeating the very same bullet points on the resume, and briefly add some further interesting and coherent stories on "accomplishment"/"challenges".

I agree completely. My main concern was regurgitating my resume and not adding anything new, although the adcoms probably don't need to know about my nannying experience and working on a strawberry farm when I was 14. :) I just need to take the time to respond to the accomplishment/challenge questions with something more interesting and new for the jobs I include on my resume. Thanks, NandoParrado and AylaSmith!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AylaSmith wrote:

You make this job that you did "just to make money" sound like you danced around poles for some quick cash or something :wink: :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Submitted!

Only to find out that we can "unsubmit"...anyhow. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
cowabungaman7 wrote:
You make this job that you did "just to make money" sound like you danced around poles for some quick cash or something :wink: :P

Haha - adcom doesn't have to know everything.... :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AylaSmith wrote:
cowabungaman7 wrote:

Haha - adcom doesn't have to know everything.... :-D

Though it might make for some VERY interesting stories, having worked your way to success one lap dance at a time! :P

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  87   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts