GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 06:41
bml1105 wrote:
hellokittyisnotacat wrote:
No HBS love today. Hoping for the best with GSB...

Same here! Good luck hellokitty!

Me too! Good luck to you both!

Last year, GSB said that while invitations would go out until around Nov. 26, the bulk of the interviews would go out by November 19th. I think this caused a lot of people to give up when Nov. 19 came along and they didn't get an interview, assuming it was the end. They took that wording out this year.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.45
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 23:07
Good luck everyone! Hope we all get invites 8-)
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 19:19
Its gonna take so long to hear from the GSB, but hell I'll wait whatever its necessary. Let's freaking do this!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2014, 11:41
bml1105 wrote:

We've got one more shot tomorrow on HBS. I'm almost glad that Stanford is so far out, it is too soon to stress about it.
SVP
SVP
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2014, 16:58
bostonbp wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

We've got one more shot tomorrow on HBS. I'm almost glad that Stanford is so far out, it is too soon to stress about it.

What's easier to get an HBS invite tomorrow or to get into the GSB?

Let the numbers crack, I ain't sleepin' today son

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 09:44
I'll probably be spending a lot more time here now that HBS news is out for Round 1!
SVP
SVP
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 16:08
zam4q wrote:
I'll probably be spending a lot more time here now that HBS news is out for Round 1!

Yeah, anyways GSB is way cooler than HBS

Hey do y'all know if Stanford gives out financial aid? Is it more like CBS (low) or Booth (High)

Cheers!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 17:09
What do you guys think of Sandy (HBSGuru)'s comment on a recent interview with P&Q where he says Stanford interviews don't matter?

Quote:
What are the basic differences between interviews at Harvard vs. Stanford, or Wharton?

Alumni do up to 90% of the interviews at Stanford and it’s well known that the interview is more of a marketing device to get alumni involved. You have to do something really dramatic to commit suicide in a Stanford interview. Basically, it does not count. The Wharton interview is now this group grope and it is easier to come off the rails, especially if the chemistry in your group is a bit toxic. But most people are hip to that. My guess is, the jerks come out in the wash at HBS and Wharton, so the process works in each case, although I prefer HBS because it is less likely to result in a false negative.

http://poetsandquants.com/2014/10/07/ho ... terview/4/
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 18:09
@
jlgdr wrote:
zam4q wrote:

Yeah, anyways GSB is way cooler than HBS

Hey do y'all know if Stanford gives out financial aid? Is it more like CBS (low) or Booth (High)

Cheers!

Yeah my understanding is GSB gives out almost as much as HBS in aid,
but looking at your profile I'm not sure they'd be generous to IB peeps.
My friends at HBS have received ~40K per year in aid, (a couple were from consulting, which is kinda interesting)
and I've heard that GSB is slightly less in terms of overall percentage given but amounts can definitely match HBS levels.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 18:20
@
randombetch wrote:
What do you guys think of Sandy (HBSGuru)'s comment on a recent interview with P&Q where he says Stanford interviews don't matter?

Quote:
What are the basic differences between interviews at Harvard vs. Stanford, or Wharton?

Alumni do up to 90% of the interviews at Stanford and it’s well known that the interview is more of a marketing device to get alumni involved. You have to do something really dramatic to commit suicide in a Stanford interview. Basically, it does not count. The Wharton interview is now this group grope and it is easier to come off the rails, especially if the chemistry in your group is a bit toxic. But most people are hip to that. My guess is, the jerks come out in the wash at HBS and Wharton, so the process works in each case, although I prefer HBS because it is less likely to result in a false negative.

I take Sandy's words w a grain of salt bc I think he's seen way too many applicants over the years and is a bit jaded,
in theh sense that he's got a very large pool of data with which to generalize and is therefore somewhat numb to the individual variances.
But there's definitely some truth in what he says:
people I know have aced (at least that's what they say, but hey, it's not easy to come out of an interview and feel you've aced it)
GSB interviews but got a ding, while others have gotten in despite being very shy, having weak English, etc.

That said, at the end of the day, it doesn't affect our approach as applicants.
I mean, so what are you going to do - screw the interview if you decide to believe him? ;)
SVP
SVP
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2014, 19:19
HowLionsHunt wrote:
@
randombetch wrote:

Quote:

I take Sandy's words w a grain of salt bc I think he's seen way too many applicants over the years and is a bit jaded,
in theh sense that he's got a very large pool of data with which to generalize and is therefore somewhat numb to the individual variances.
people I know have aced (at least that's what they say, but hey, it's not easy to come out of an interview and feel you've aced it)
GSB interviews but got a ding, while others have gotten in despite being very shy, having weak English, etc.

I mean, so what are you going to do - screw the interview if you decide to believe him? ;)

Well its true, just try your best screw it, even if it does not count that much, why are you ever going to give less than 100% on anything? Is not like the one who's competing against you is going to...
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2014, 20:42
HowLionsHunt wrote:
@
randombetch wrote:

Quote:

Though there are certainly some applicants who have connections and strong professional cables into Stanford, I would disagree that the interview does not matter. In my practice, I have seen clients with no such special connections do well in the interview and convert. The interview is where you win your seat with passion and depth vs generalities. By the way, that does not mean that only clear extroverts make a solid impression--some folks are understated, but their humility and scientific/inquisitive demeanor enhance their admirable record. My advice after helping folks for 10 years is to ignore the type of fatalistic comment in question. Many folks have great scores/grades, and some folks have had too much help on their essays. But there is no hiding in the interview. You can certainly practice for it, and for most candidates I believe it matters.

Alex Leventhal HBS '98
Founder, Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.prepmba.com/

office:323.424.3178 | mobile:917.514.1023
alex@prepmba.com

Prep MBA is a boutique admissions consultancy started in 2005. Work one on one with a Harvard MBA.
No junior consultants or referrals to a consultant to be named later. Put a Harvard MBA on your case.
Testimonials: http://prepmba.com/testimonials
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2014, 07:07
It has been quite boring since HBS released interview emails. 6 more days till Stanford starts.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2014, 13:45
DLEmba wrote:
It has been quite boring since HBS released interview emails. 6 more days till Stanford starts.

I was actually thinking it was 10 days until Wharton for the next excitement. This is good haha, maybe there will be some news trickling in early next week.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2014, 18:42
Despite being automatically rejected, I actually really like HBS process of having two set days to release information. Sure, Stanford starts in 6 days but it can also go on for another month. As easy as it is to say don't get discourage when everyone is receiving interviews, it's hard to not get even more antsy.

But then I think at least Stanford tells us when to expect it. With Haas, Tuck and UCLA I have no general guidelines of when to expect it.
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 00:13
bml1105 wrote:
Despite being automatically rejected, I actually really like HBS process of having two set days to release information. Sure, Stanford starts in 6 days but it can also go on for another month. As easy as it is to say don't get discourage when everyone is receiving interviews, it's hard to not get even more antsy.

But then I think at least Stanford tells us when to expect it. With Haas, Tuck and UCLA I have no general guidelines of when to expect it.

Yeah, I agree with you bml1105. On the one hand, it's great that interviews are spread out over a longer period of time, because then there's still hope that you'll get one. But on the other hand, it would be so much easier to just bite the bullet and deal with the outcome, positive or negative, on one or two days. Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.24
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 08:09
whiplash2411 wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you bml1105. On the one hand, it's great that interviews are spread out over a longer period of time, because then there's still hope that you'll get one. But on the other hand, it would be so much easier to just bite the bullet and deal with the outcome, positive or negative, on one or two days. Good luck to everyone!

Lot of email refreshing going to be happening over the next month or so...

Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 06:11
Wow, next month is going to be loooong!

Has anyone had any support letters sent? Do you think it adds?

I've heard Stanford doesn't like to receive them after the application deadline, so I'm not sure if I should push for that to happen!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 06:20
vtitiun wrote:

I've heard Stanford doesn't like to receive them after the application deadline, so I'm not sure if I should push for that to happen!

Considering the deadline was 3 weeks ago, how much could you possibly have to add to your application? I would think that the deadlines exist for a reason. Now if you get waitlisted for 5 months and are still in consideration then at that point maybe it would be a different conversation. Even then probably a stretch.

The only things I would reach out about after three weeks were to notify that I've been 1. awarded a Nobel prize or 2. a family member has made a seven figure gift to the university (joking...sort of...)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 06:23
vtitiun wrote:

I had one sent a day after the application deadline and the person who submit it received a reply from one of the guys at admissions saying that he would do his best to attach the support letter to the application, but that they had already started distributing them for review so he couldn't ensure anything. At no point did he complain for receiving the support letter :) I think one support letter or at most two add, because they are further proof of cultural fit with the university, but they have to provide further insight into why you should be accepted. If the support letters don't offer any new information of why you are a good candidate it won't do anything for you, and if you get too many sent they might think you are considering the process a "popularity contest" and that could harm you.

In any case, considering that it's already a month into the process, I would suggest you wait till interview invitations are sent, and if you get one ask for support letters to get an edge over other interviewees. With regards to getting an interview invitation, I don't think a support letter would do much this far in. That's my humble opinion.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2014, 06:23

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  87    Next  [ 1732 posts ] 

Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mvictor