GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Nov 2019, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 17:39
LexLuthor wrote:
vtitiun wrote:
Wow, next month is going to be loooong!

Has anyone had any support letters sent? Do you think it adds?

I've heard Stanford doesn't like to receive them after the application deadline, so I'm not sure if I should push for that to happen!

I had one sent a day after the application deadline and the person who submit it received a reply from one of the guys at admissions saying that he would do his best to attach the support letter to the application, but that they had already started distributing them for review so he couldn't ensure anything. At no point did he complain for receiving the support letter :) I think one support letter or at most two add, because they are further proof of cultural fit with the university, but they have to provide further insight into why you should be accepted. If the support letters don't offer any new information of why you are a good candidate it won't do anything for you, and if you get too many sent they might think you are considering the process a "popularity contest" and that could harm you.

In any case, considering that it's already a month into the process, I would suggest you wait till interview invitations are sent, and if you get one ask for support letters to get an edge over other interviewees. With regards to getting an interview invitation, I don't think a support letter would do much this far in. That's my humble opinion.

Support notes? For Stanford? Pretty skeptic, It'd have to be someone extremely important.
LOR's are important but I think that Stanford gives rather neglible value to additional gimmicks such as support notes frankly

Cheers!
J :)
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 20:40
Maybe I'm naive or poorly connected, but, unless it's someone major, what differentiates a "support letter" from a regular "letter of recommendation"?
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 21:31
bml1105 wrote:
Maybe I'm naive or poorly connected, but, unless it's someone major, what differentiates a "support letter" from a regular "letter of recommendation"?

Recommendations should come from direct supervisors or in Stanford's case a peer as well that has worked with you closely an can attest to your performance and leadership skills, among others. Support letters are usually sent by alumni of the school you are applying to and are meant to bear witness of your fit with the school in terms of culture. Stanford and Harvard don't give too much relevance (if any) to support letters, because they are confident that their formal processes are capable of identifying every aspect they want to know about you. Yet schools such as Chicago and Duke, among others, go as far as having formal webpages for alumni to upload support letters for applicants.

I was told to try to get a support letter for Stanford because in the worse case it wouldn't do anything but it wouldn't harm the application in any way. On HBS on the other hand a support letter could harm an application considering that Dee has been explicit in that she does not want to give any advantage to applicants who know alumni to make the process fair.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 21:47
bml1105 wrote:

Yes, this issue of support letters comes up every season. LORs are generally from direct bosses and superiors and are written in response to specific prompts. Support letters are extra letters outside of the formal application process, and are generally submitted after your app is in, and your case has an ID/file #. An applicant (or applicant's family) may know an alum or faculty member at a given school, and the idea is that this person of influence will send an email/letter or make a phone call to the person he or she has the most influence with at a given school. Many people do not have this type of connection, but some do, and of course these letters are more impactful if the writer has a real relationship over time with the applicant. If it's clear there is no real relationship, then the letter will likely mean nothing unless the writer is a VIP. And I hate to say it, but there is no pure meritocracy, and having a person who donates millions write a support letter can matter.

From my consulting practice, I have seen support letters sent by the Prime Minster of Russia, a top 10 financier, and other luminaries. Many of you will be happy to know that the applicant was not always accepted, especially if they had borderline credentials.

I will say that Stanford deals with this type of pressure well. I had a client who tried to get a separate lunch with Derrick outside of the normal process at the request of a VIP. Derrick basically said sure, but if I take the lunch, then I will have to recuse myself from your application. So, much of this muscling does not ultimately do much. But, let's get real, some folks do get an extra hard look based on influence, and sometimes that influence comes from a direct LOR.

Alex Leventhal HBS '98
Founder, Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.prepmba.com/

office:323.424.3178 | mobile:917.514.1023
alex@prepmba.com

Prep MBA is a boutique admissions consultancy started in 2005. Work one on one with a Harvard MBA.
No junior consultants or referrals to a consultant to be named later. Put a Harvard MBA on your case.
Testimonials: http://prepmba.com/testimonials
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 05:33
PrepMBA wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

Yes, this issue of support letters comes up every season. LORs are generally from direct bosses and superiors and are written in response to specific prompts. Support letters are extra letters outside of the formal application process, and are generally submitted after your app is in, and your case has an ID/file #. An applicant (or applicant's family) may know an alum or faculty member at a given school, and the idea is that this person of influence will send an email/letter or make a phone call to the person he or she has the most influence with at a given school. Many people do not have this type of connection, but some do, and of course these letters are more impactful if the writer has a real relationship over time with the applicant. If it's clear there is no real relationship, then the letter will likely mean nothing unless the writer is a VIP. And I hate to say it, but there is no pure meritocracy, and having a person who donates millions write a support letter can matter.

From my consulting practice, I have seen support letters sent by the Prime Minster of Russia, a top 10 financier, and other luminaries. Many of you will be happy to know that the applicant was not always accepted, especially if they had borderline credentials.

I will say that Stanford deals with this type of pressure well. I had a client who tried to get a separate lunch with Derrick outside of the normal process at the request of a VIP. Derrick basically said sure, but if I take the lunch, then I will have to recuse myself from your application. So, much of this muscling does not ultimately do much. But, let's get real, some folks do get an extra hard look based on influence, and sometimes that influence comes from a direct LOR.

I agree with the above, however, I think it may hurt in this case considering the school sent each of us an e-mail upon submitting our application stating: "Out of fairness to all applicants, we don't consider information submitted after the application deadline, so please do not provide us with new test scores, job changes, promotions, or other updates."
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 05:48
TheLevin wrote:
PrepMBA wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

I agree with the above, however, I think it may hurt in this case considering the school sent each of us an e-mail upon submitting our application stating: "Out of fairness to all applicants, we don't consider information submitted after the application deadline, so please do not provide us with new test scores, job changes, promotions, or other updates."

Not really. There is no way in which they can be sure that you asked for the support letter. For all they know, an alumn who really appreciates you was aware you where applying and voluntarily sent the email. And even if they did know you asked for the letter, you have no control over when it's sent, so you could have asked for it before the deadline and the person could have sent it after.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 09:21
Just got this update:

Quote:
Dear bml1105,

First things first -- this update is not specific to your Stanford MBA application. It pertains to all first-round applicants.

That said, we know waiting is hard! We have been hearing from candidates that knowing more about what’s happening inside the “black box” might be helpful, so we are writing to share a little more information with you.

As promised, we will begin issuing interview invitations on 27 October.
Also as promised, we will send invitations regularly through 25 November.
If you have not received an interview invitation by end of day 25 November, you will not be admitted in this round.

Here are some of the questions we’ve received from you:

Why does it take so long? Why don’t you send all the interview invitations on one date?

Because you’re human and so are we. This is not an automated process. We respect the time and care you put into your application, and so we want to take the time to understand each applicant’s background, aspirations, and potential. While scores and grades command attention in the blogosphere, each of you is more than a combination of statistics; we are building a community as well as a class. Yes, it’s slower, but that is because real people are getting to know you through your application.

If I receive my interview invitation soon, does that mean I have a better chance of getting admitted?

No, we do not review applications in any particular order, and applicants are not ranked when we send out interview invitations. The timing of your interview invitation reflects only the order in which your application was reviewed - nothing more, nothing less.

Remind me, what happens next?

You will receive an email from us on 25 November reminding you to log in to your online application for an update on the status of your application. At this stage, there will be three possibilities:

You have already been invited to interview, and your application is under consideration.On 10 December you will find out if you will be admitted, denied, or offered a spot in the waitpool.
You were not selected for an interview, and your application is denied. This decision is final.
You are being offered a spot in the waitpool with the possibility of being invited to interview at a future date.

Rest assured there is nothing more you need to do to get our attention or improve your chances for an interview; your application speaks for itself. To maintain fairness, we don't consider information submitted after the application deadline, so please do not provide us with new test scores, job changes, promotions, or other updates.

Until then, we hope you can enjoy your “favorite music” while eating your “favorite food.” We have had fun learning about both in your application.

Warm regards,

Stanford MBA Admissions Office

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:23
Now the official wait begins! (as if we haven't had enuf.)

Originally posted by helloitsme16 on 24 Oct 2014, 09:28.
Last edited by helloitsme16 on 30 Oct 2014, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 10:27
At least they started with the "first things first" line.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:28
bml1105 wrote:
Just got this update:

Quote:
Dear bml1105,

First things first -- this update is not specific to your Stanford MBA application. It pertains to all first-round applicants.

That said, we know waiting is hard! We have been hearing from candidates that knowing more about what’s happening inside the “black box” might be helpful, so we are writing to share a little more information with you.

If you have not received an interview invitation by end of day 25 November, you will not be admitted in this round.

Why does it take so long? Why don’t you send all the interview invitations on one date?

Because you’re human and so are we. This is not an automated process. We respect the time and care you put into your application, and so we want to take the time to understand each applicant’s background, aspirations, and potential. While scores and grades command attention in the blogosphere, each of you is more than a combination of statistics; we are building a community as well as a class. Yes, it’s slower, but that is because real people are getting to know you through your application.

If I receive my interview invitation soon, does that mean I have a better chance of getting admitted?

No, we do not review applications in any particular order, and applicants are not ranked when we send out interview invitations. The timing of your interview invitation reflects only the order in which your application was reviewed - nothing more, nothing less.

You will receive an email from us on 25 November reminding you to log in to your online application for an update on the status of your application. At this stage, there will be three possibilities:

You have already been invited to interview, and your application is under consideration.On 10 December you will find out if you will be admitted, denied, or offered a spot in the waitpool.
You were not selected for an interview, and your application is denied. This decision is final.
You are being offered a spot in the waitpool with the possibility of being invited to interview at a future date.

Rest assured there is nothing more you need to do to get our attention or improve your chances for an interview; your application speaks for itself. To maintain fairness, we don't consider information submitted after the application deadline, so please do not provide us with new test scores, job changes, promotions, or other updates.

Until then, we hope you can enjoy your “favorite music” while eating your “favorite food.” We have had fun learning about both in your application.

Warm regards,

Originally posted by jlgdr on 24 Oct 2014, 10:34.
Last edited by jlgdr on 25 Oct 2014, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:00
jlgdr wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
Just got this update:

Quote:
Dear bml1105,

Warm regards,

Thanks bml1105 :wink:

Haha dude, don't mean to be overly serious, but she edited her post to cover her name up and we should respect that. Even if we are subscribed to the post and have the original post in our e-emails haha.

Originally posted by LexLuthor on 24 Oct 2014, 10:51.
Last edited by LexLuthor on 25 Oct 2014, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 11:29
bml1105 wrote:
Just got this update:

Quote:
Dear bml1105,

Warm regards,

I jumped in my seat when I saw the email "Round 1 Update from Stanford MBA Admissions"! I appreciate the update and especially the way they started "first things first" - but what a let down!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 13:26
michaelbrett wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
Just got this update:

Quote:
Dear bml1105,

Warm regards,

I jumped in my seat when I saw the email "Round 1 Update from Stanford MBA Admissions"! I appreciate the update and especially the way they started "first things first" - but what a let down!

Agreed. I typically have good mental reflexes but my first thought was that things got sent out early and I was in the first wave of invitations. What a rush.

Anyways, not even going to think about Stanford until Wharton's invites go out next week. I'm guessing most will go out in early November. I'll be walking into walls come Thanksgiving if I haven't heard though.
Current Student
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 13:43
Are they gonna send us an email when the decision is out or we have to check regularly? What if one gets an invite but totally forgets about checking updates? And does anyone here know how scheduling for an interview is gonna work? Seems like there is not enough time to prepare for the interview when the final decision is out on Dec 10
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2014, 01:39
Mourinho2nd wrote:
Are they gonna send us an email when the decision is out or we have to check regularly? What if one gets an invite but totally forgets about checking updates? And does anyone here know how scheduling for an interview is gonna work? Seems like there is not enough time to prepare for the interview when the final decision is out on Dec 10

To the best of my knowledge:
1. I believe they are sending emails. Last year some candidates reported getting emails while the portal wasn't immediately updated. You should regardless check you spam folder regularly.
2. One should add a reminder to his calendar :)
3. I think interviews are done by alumni in most cases, so they'll probably provide you with the details of one and give you both a deadline of about a couple of weeks to complete the interview. I guess you should be ready for a one week's notice or less. You could start preparing for the basics now. Most importantly: relax, you know your story after writing the essays :)

Best of luck
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 23:16
The next 24 hours are going to make some of us very happy! Good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 23:40
Good luck everyone. Let me know if you would like me to do a video on GSB interviews with some of the current students that I'm at school with now. My video blog idea has been harder to maintain than I had imagined - GSB life is busy :(
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 23:54
Andiamo wrote:
Good luck everyone. Let me know if you would like me to do a video on GSB interviews with some of the current students that I'm at school with now. My video blog idea has been harder to maintain than I had imagined - GSB life is busy :(

Yes, please. That would be really helpful.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 01:19
Let the merciless clicking of the Refresh button begin!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 07:52
my status changed to "in review". what about you guys?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2014, 07:52

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  87    Next  [ 1732 posts ] 

Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mvictor