Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [10]
Given Kudos: 6
Hoa: Tran
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.85
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31940 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate [#permalink]
Hi Nevernevergiveup and chetan2u,
I've seen options in veritas/other preps that used semi-colon to seperate different incomplete sentences that shouldnt stand on their own. And such option was deemed correct by veritas. In fact in the explanation veritas said that it is not necessarily wrong to separate incompletes using semicolons. So if A is off solely on the semicolon ground, then i see inconsistency, but i guess something else must have nailed A.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate [#permalink]
Nez wrote:
I've seen options in veritas/other preps that used semi-colon to seperate different incomplete sentences that shouldnt stand on their own. And such option was deemed correct by veritas. In fact in the explanation veritas said that it is not necessarily wrong to separate incompletes using semicolons. So if A is off solely on the semicolon ground, then i see inconsistency, but i guess something else must have nailed A.

I have no idea where you picked up the point that semicolon can be used to separate incomplete sentences but the information is incorrect. Here is some info from Manhattan GMAT Guides.

Quote:

Semicolon

The semicolon (;) connects two closely related statements. Each statement must be able to stand alone as an independent sentence. For instance, we can fix the previous example by using a semicolon.

Right: Earl walked to school; he later ate his lunch.

Consider another example:

Wrong: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; doing everything together.

The second part of this sentence cannot stand on its own. Therefore, the two parts may not be connected by a semicolon.

Right: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; they do everything together.

In the corrected example, the two sentence parts can each stand alone. Therefore, they may be connected by a semicolon. Moreover, when you use a semicolon, you should ensure that the two sentence parts are related in an independent, balanced way. If it seems that the author originally meant to subordinate one part to the other, you must preserve that intent.

Right: The dam has created dead zones, WHERE fish have disappeared.
    Wrong: The dam has created dead zones; fish have disappeared.

In the second example above, the writer seems to be saying that fish all over the world have disappeared.
The first example is appropriately limited to the dead zones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate [#permalink]
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:

I have no idea where you picked up the point that semicolon can be used to separate incomplete sentences but the information is incorrect. Here is some info from Manhattan GMAT Guides.

Quote:

Semicolon

The semicolon (;) connects two closely related statements. Each statement must be able to stand alone as an independent sentence. For instance, we can fix the previous example by using a semicolon.

Right: Earl walked to school; he later ate his lunch.

Consider another example:

Wrong: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; doing everything together.

The second part of this sentence cannot stand on its own. Therefore, the two parts may not be connected by a semicolon.

Right: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; they do everything together.

In the corrected example, the two sentence parts can each stand alone. Therefore, they may be connected by a semicolon. Moreover, when you use a semicolon, you should ensure that the two sentence parts are related in an independent, balanced way. If it seems that the author originally meant to subordinate one part to the other, you must preserve that intent.

Right: The dam has created dead zones, WHERE fish have disappeared.
    Wrong: The dam has created dead zones; fish have disappeared.

In the second example above, the writer seems to be saying that fish all over the world have disappeared.
The first example is appropriately limited to the dead zones.

I get your explanations
Alright that's a misquote from me.. Veritas never said that.
Now chetan2u if you must choose btw this two, which will be your choice?
1. An answer choice where semicolon is rightly used to separate two complete sentences (each containing redundant words)
OR
2. Another answer choice that replaces the semicolon with a coma (with the redundancy removed)
They said that 2 must be chosen.
I'll have to go surf for that question and bring it to you.
They were actually saying that a grammatically wrong statement rightly separated by semicolon doesn't make it more right and that the other option that removed the grammatical error but committed the error of replacing the semicolon with a comma is actually the better option.
I dont know you if copy that.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31940 [0]
Send PM
Re: In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nez wrote:

I get your explanations
Alright that's a misquote from me.. Veritas never said that.
Now chetan2u if you must choose btw this two, which will be your choice?
1. An answer choice where semicolon is rightly used to separate two complete sentences (each containing redundant words)
OR
2. Another answer choice that replaces the semicolon with a coma (with the redundancy removed)
They said that 2 must be chosen.
I'll have to go surf for that question and bring it to you.
They were actually saying that a grammatically wrong statement rightly separated by semicolon doesn't make it more right and that the other option that removed the grammatical error but committed the error of replacing the semicolon with a comma is actually the better option.
I dont know you if copy that.

Hi Nez,
yes , you will choose 2, if it joins the independent clauses with a conjunction, thus avoiding run on sentences..
example--
1) John is a great swimmer; he is a great athlete too.
2) John is a great swimmer and a great athlete..
Both are correct..

I'll just add some more points on ";"..
1) It can join two independent clauses, but the clauses should be related to each other.
2) It is also used in place of commas at some place to avoid confusion..
Searching for best food, he travelled to melbourne, australia; bangalore, India; and London, UK.
3) you cannot use semicolon to join two clauses in which one is a dependent clause..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
HoaTran wrote:
25. In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate; and forty percent
in 1996.
(A) electorate; and forty percent in 1996
second portion cannot stand independently
(B) electorate; in 1996 the figure was forty percent
correct
(C) electorate, and in 1996 forty percent
parallelism error..
(D) electorate, forty percent in 1996 was the figure
incorrect ... wordy and grammatically both
(E) electorate that fell to forty percent in 1996
parallelism error.. meaning issue

The solution to this question is explained in Veritas SC book. However, the explanation seems to be incomplete since it does not mention why choice C is wrong. I think C is fine because it makes "fifty-five percent" and "forty percent" parallel.

Please share your thought.

hi HoaTran,
C does not parallel the two portion.. it should have been (C) electorate, and in 1996,by forty percent.... by is must and votes were cast could have been omitted... ans B...

Hi Chetan
Can you please explain why by is a must.
Can't the parallelism start after by. What I mean is this
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate, and in 1996 forty percent of the electorate
Parts in red are perfectly parallel preceded by preposition by.

I know I am wrong, just convince me how :-D :-D .
Also any solid stratergy to tackle these kind of questions; These kind of questions always throws me out.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31940 [3]
Send PM
Kudos