GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Hoa: Tran
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.85
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 17:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:02) correct 33% (01:15) wrong based on 206 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate; and forty percent in 1996.

(A) electorate; and forty percent in 1996
(B) electorate; in 1996 the figure was forty percent
(C) electorate, and in 1996 forty percent
(D) electorate, forty percent in 1996 was the figure
(E) electorate that fell to forty percent in 1996

The solution to this question is explained in Veritas SC book. However, the explanation seems to be incomplete since it does not mention why choice C is wrong. I think C is fine because it makes "fifty-five percent" and "forty percent" parallel.

Please share your thought.
Math Expert
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 19:25
HoaTran wrote:
25. In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate; and forty percent
in 1996.
second portion cannot stand independently
correct
parallelism error..
incorrect ... wordy and grammatically both
parallelism error.. meaning issue

The solution to this question is explained in Veritas SC book. However, the explanation seems to be incomplete since it does not mention why choice C is wrong. I think C is fine because it makes "fifty-five percent" and "forty percent" parallel.

hi HoaTran,
C does not parallel the two portion.. it should have been (C) electorate, and in 1996,by forty percent.... by is must and votes were cast could have been omitted... ans B...

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html

GMAT Expert

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 20:00
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate; and forty percent in 1996.

the second sentence is not independent which is must for a semi-colon

Correct choice with proper semicolon and two independent sentences.

and in 1996 forty percent is a completely absurd option as it does neither connect properly with the other part of sentence nor makes meaningful phrase.

This contains the error of comma-splice. comma was used instead of semi colon.

that refers to electorate thereby changing the intended meaning that it was electorate which reduced in 1996.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 00:56
Hi Nevernevergiveup and chetan2u,
I've seen options in veritas/other preps that used semi-colon to seperate different incomplete sentences that shouldnt stand on their own. And such option was deemed correct by veritas. In fact in the explanation veritas said that it is not necessarily wrong to separate incompletes using semicolons. So if A is off solely on the semicolon ground, then i see inconsistency, but i guess something else must have nailed A.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 02:59
Nez wrote:
I've seen options in veritas/other preps that used semi-colon to seperate different incomplete sentences that shouldnt stand on their own. And such option was deemed correct by veritas. In fact in the explanation veritas said that it is not necessarily wrong to separate incompletes using semicolons. So if A is off solely on the semicolon ground, then i see inconsistency, but i guess something else must have nailed A.

I have no idea where you picked up the point that semicolon can be used to separate incomplete sentences but the information is incorrect. Here is some info from Manhattan GMAT Guides.

Quote:

Semicolon

The semicolon (;) connects two closely related statements. Each statement must be able to stand alone as an independent sentence. For instance, we can fix the previous example by using a semicolon.

Right: Earl walked to school; he later ate his lunch.

Consider another example:

Wrong: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; doing everything together.

The second part of this sentence cannot stand on its own. Therefore, the two parts may not be connected by a semicolon.

Right: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; they do everything together.

In the corrected example, the two sentence parts can each stand alone. Therefore, they may be connected by a semicolon. Moreover, when you use a semicolon, you should ensure that the two sentence parts are related in an independent, balanced way. If it seems that the author originally meant to subordinate one part to the other, you must preserve that intent.

Right: The dam has created dead zones, WHERE fish have disappeared.
    Wrong: The dam has created dead zones; fish have disappeared.

In the second example above, the writer seems to be saying that fish all over the world have disappeared.
The first example is appropriately limited to the dead zones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 07:36
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Nez wrote:

I have no idea where you picked up the point that semicolon can be used to separate incomplete sentences but the information is incorrect. Here is some info from Manhattan GMAT Guides.

Quote:

Semicolon

The semicolon (;) connects two closely related statements. Each statement must be able to stand alone as an independent sentence. For instance, we can fix the previous example by using a semicolon.

Right: Earl walked to school; he later ate his lunch.

Consider another example:

Wrong: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; doing everything together.

The second part of this sentence cannot stand on its own. Therefore, the two parts may not be connected by a semicolon.

Right: Andrew and Lisa are inseparable; they do everything together.

In the corrected example, the two sentence parts can each stand alone. Therefore, they may be connected by a semicolon. Moreover, when you use a semicolon, you should ensure that the two sentence parts are related in an independent, balanced way. If it seems that the author originally meant to subordinate one part to the other, you must preserve that intent.

Right: The dam has created dead zones, WHERE fish have disappeared.
    Wrong: The dam has created dead zones; fish have disappeared.

In the second example above, the writer seems to be saying that fish all over the world have disappeared.
The first example is appropriately limited to the dead zones.

I get your explanations
Alright that's a misquote from me.. Veritas never said that.
Now chetan2u if you must choose btw this two, which will be your choice?
1. An answer choice where semicolon is rightly used to separate two complete sentences (each containing redundant words)
OR
2. Another answer choice that replaces the semicolon with a coma (with the redundancy removed)
They said that 2 must be chosen.
I'll have to go surf for that question and bring it to you.
They were actually saying that a grammatically wrong statement rightly separated by semicolon doesn't make it more right and that the other option that removed the grammatical error but committed the error of replacing the semicolon with a comma is actually the better option.
I dont know you if copy that.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 08:12
Nez wrote:

I get your explanations
Alright that's a misquote from me.. Veritas never said that.
Now chetan2u if you must choose btw this two, which will be your choice?
1. An answer choice where semicolon is rightly used to separate two complete sentences (each containing redundant words)
OR
2. Another answer choice that replaces the semicolon with a coma (with the redundancy removed)
They said that 2 must be chosen.
I'll have to go surf for that question and bring it to you.
They were actually saying that a grammatically wrong statement rightly separated by semicolon doesn't make it more right and that the other option that removed the grammatical error but committed the error of replacing the semicolon with a comma is actually the better option.
I dont know you if copy that.

Hi Nez,
yes , you will choose 2, if it joins the independent clauses with a conjunction, thus avoiding run on sentences..
example--
1) John is a great swimmer; he is a great athlete too.
2) John is a great swimmer and a great athlete..
Both are correct..

I'll just add some more points on ";"..
1) It can join two independent clauses, but the clauses should be related to each other.
2) It is also used in place of commas at some place to avoid confusion..
Searching for best food, he travelled to melbourne, australia; bangalore, India; and London, UK.
3) you cannot use semicolon to join two clauses in which one is a dependent clause..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html

GMAT Expert

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 08:00
chetan2u wrote:
HoaTran wrote:
25. In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate; and forty percent
in 1996.
correct
parallelism error..

hi HoaTran,
C does not parallel the two portion.. it should have been (C) electorate, and in 1996,by forty percent.... by is must and votes were cast could have been omitted... ans B...

Hi Chetan
Can you please explain why by is a must.
Can't the parallelism start after by. What I mean is this
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate, and in 1996 forty percent of the electorate
Parts in red are perfectly parallel preceded by preposition by.

I know I am wrong, just convince me how :-D :-D .
Also any solid stratergy to tackle these kind of questions; These kind of questions always throws me out.

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 08:13
282552 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
HoaTran wrote:
in 1996.
correct
parallelism error..

hi HoaTran,

Hi Chetan
Can you please explain why by is a must.
Can't the parallelism start after by. What I mean is this
In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-fie percent of the electorate, and in 1996 forty percent of the electorate
Parts in red are perfectly parallel preceded by preposition by.

I know I am wrong, just convince me how :-D :-D .
Also any solid stratergy to tackle these kind of questions; These kind of questions always throws me out.

Hi,
you can generally omit verbs in the form of was,is etc but not by..
had it been--
In 1972, % of voting was 55% and in 1976, 40%...
say I change the words a bit and give you a different sentence--
1) THis painting is made by Ram and Shyam.. its Ok
2) In 1992, the Wimbeldon was won by Boris Becker and in 1996, by pete Sampras..
----In 1992, the Wimbeldon was won by Boris Becker and in 1996, pete Sampras won it ...still ok
------In 1992, the Wimbeldon was won by Boris Becker and in 1996, pete Sampras.--It does not convey the message correctly

GMAT Expert

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 04:45

- Portion after semicolon should have verb, which is missing in this case

- CORRECT, portion after semicolon fixes the above verb issue

- missing verb to create a parallel structure

- missing a conjunction in order to join the sentence here

- Changes the meaning

Hence, Answer is B

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 03:07
HoaTran wrote:

Intent of the sentence is to compare the % difference of votes for the electorate

Incomplete Sentence

|| and correct answer

Incomplete construction, 40 % of what ??

Not ||, incorrect comparison

Not ||, incorrect comparison

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2019, 03:07

In 1972 votes were cast by fifty-five percent of the electorate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap