Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 13:17 It is currently 09 May 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018! [#permalink]
I think interview invites were just sent out. Good luck to all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018! [#permalink]
snkrhed wrote:
For the most part, I agree, but they can't just say "hey guys we have no scholarship monies." Also, they might be on a tiered model for how scholarships are released but aren't sure how the additional funding will be allocated/cleared up (Ex. it might be allocated to other graduate programs/undergraduate programs).

My hope is that interview notices will come out by this week, but it seems like for R3 applicants, this is gonna be a really competitive pool.

Understand it may be a tricky issue for them, but I feel like at some point you've got to at least be open with your admitted students and disclose to them that there is no scholarship money available at this point, for whatever reason, so they can make their enrollment decisions accordingly. At the very least, I don't think it's right for them to just stay totally silent on the subject unless people are calling with specific inquiries. Applicants put in entirely too much work into their applications and have entirely too much at stake -- financially and otherwise -- to be treated that way, in my purview. Good faith shouldn't be limited only to situations where it's easy for the school to act in that manner.

Will say, though, that I don't believed tiered scholarship structures are the issue here. Looking back at past years, R2 scholarship info usually goes out about a week after the decisions are released. Whatever is happening this year is unprecedented in that respect.

Moving forward, think you're right on R3 competitiveness. If R1 applicants accepted at a higher-than-anticipated rate, there must be fewer spots than anticipated available now (and I guess the same went for R2 applicants as well). On the other hand, lack of scholarship funds -- when candidates have applied assuming that some would be available -- may drive R2 and R3 offer acceptances lower than normal, which may make more space available in the class for waitlisted applicants. Having $0.00 available in scholarships for R2 and R3 applicants must have a real impact on yield, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
BrotherTN750 wrote:
snkrhed wrote:
For the most part, I agree, but they can't just say "hey guys we have no scholarship monies." Also, they might be on a tiered model for how scholarships are released but aren't sure how the additional funding will be allocated/cleared up (Ex. it might be allocated to other graduate programs/undergraduate programs).

My hope is that interview notices will come out by this week, but it seems like for R3 applicants, this is gonna be a really competitive pool.

Understand it may be a tricky issue for them, but I feel like at some point you've got to at least be open with your admitted students and disclose to them that there is no scholarship money available at this point, for whatever reason, so they can make their enrollment decisions accordingly. At the very least, I don't think it's right for them to just stay totally silent on the subject unless people are calling with specific inquiries. Applicants put in entirely too much work into their applications and have entirely too much at stake -- financially and otherwise -- to be treated that way, in my purview. Good faith shouldn't be limited only to situations where it's easy for the school to act in that manner.

Will say, though, that I don't believed tiered scholarship structures are the issue here. Looking back at past years, R2 scholarship info usually goes out about a week after the decisions are released. Whatever is happening this year is unprecedented in that respect.

Moving forward, think you're right on R3 competitiveness. If R1 applicants accepted at a higher-than-anticipated rate, there must be fewer spots than anticipated available now (and I guess the same went for R2 applicants as well). On the other hand, lack of scholarship funds -- when candidates have applied assuming that some would be available -- may drive R2 and R3 offer acceptances lower than normal, which may make more space available in the class for waitlisted applicants. Having $0.00 available in scholarships for R2 and R3 applicants must have a real impact on yield, right?

Anecdotally, I was accepted with no money, and told none was available. This led me to decline my offer and take my offer at Johnson, where I was given a significant scholarship. So if I'm any indication no scholarship money for round 2 will effect yield. I'm not so sure about r3 though. I think it's much more likely that across all major programs there is substantially less money available for final deadline applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Other (Transportation)
Send PM
nandoval wrote:
nik07 wrote:
Hi,

I am Round 1 waitlist candidate. Recently I received a generic email (Thank you for your continued interest in the Texas MBA Program).

It says you might hear from the ad com in the coming days.

In the meanwhile, you can send us updated information (i.e. a new GMAT or GRE score, a promotion at work or a new job, etc.).

Did other waitlist candidates also receive such emails?

Thanks

Yep.
Got the same generic email.
I bet everybody on WL got it. Maybe some people didn't realize it yet as I found it on Spam box.

Are you also Rd 1 wl candidate? I'm Rd2 waitlisted but haven't received such mail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Rafa84 wrote:
nandoval wrote:
nik07 wrote:
Hi,

I am Round 1 waitlist candidate. Recently I received a generic email (Thank you for your continued interest in the Texas MBA Program).

In the meanwhile, you can send us updated information (i.e. a new GMAT or GRE score, a promotion at work or a new job, etc.).

Thanks

Yep.
I bet everybody on WL got it. Maybe some people didn't realize it yet as I found it on Spam box.

Are you also Rd 1 wl candidate? I'm Rd2 waitlisted but haven't received such mail.

Rd 2 waitlisted candidate here. I have not received any such mail either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Rd 2 WL candidate. No email for me too :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gbout3 wrote:
BrotherTN750 wrote:
snkrhed wrote:

Anecdotally, I was accepted with no money, and told none was available. This led me to decline my offer and take my offer at Johnson, where I was given a significant scholarship. So if I'm any indication no scholarship money for round 2 will effect yield. I'm not so sure about r3 though. I think it's much more likely that across all major programs there is substantially less money available for final deadline applicants.

gbout3: In which round did you apply to McCombs ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I applied rd2, via consortium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gbout3: Hope there are more applicants like you.
That may give chance to other waitlisters like me. :thumbup: :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received an unsolicited e-mail from a current McCombs student on Friday evening talking up the program and reminding me of the decision acceptance deadline date. E-mail was kind of personal at times, but also somewhat generic too. Any one else get something similar? Assuming it was essentially just a mass-mailer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.74
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
BrotherTN750 wrote:
Received an unsolicited e-mail from a current McCombs student on Friday evening talking up the program and reminding me of the decision acceptance deadline date. E-mail was kind of personal at times, but also somewhat generic too. Any one else get something similar? Assuming it was essentially just a mass-mailer.

Me too, they are sending current students to get in touch with the admits and help us on any problem we might have.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rafa84 wrote:
nandoval wrote:
nik07 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Yep.

Yes. I'm also a Rd1 WL applicant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
When is the response/deposit deadline for those admitted to MCombs R2?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
nandoval wrote:
When is the response/deposit deadline for those admitted to MCombs R2?

April 28
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
BrotherTN750 wrote:

I got this too. Ultimately I'm probably going to enroll at Darden over McCombs even though I think I'd prefer Austin. McCombs' adcoms are by far the worst I've interacted with and have been really unhelpful thru the whole process. Darden gave me a small scholarship while McCombs won't even give me a clear answer about whether schol money is possible. If their admissions is run this poorly, the actual program probably is too. Can't take that chance with my future at stake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Got the admit call from McCombs a couple of weeks back, but have decided to attend elsewhere.

Think my story is similar to others in this thread. Contacted admissions at McCombs after I got the news to ask about scholarship, and was given a vague and evasive response. They left things open-ended, so I got back in touch with them a while later and it was more of the same stuff. I wasn't even expecting any money, but it just felt like they weren't being straight with me. Why not just tell me a straight no? I get that they probably had a lot better candidates than me, but just tell me point blank. So that kind of decided it for me, and I declined their offer and am headed elsewhere. That might have been the end game anyway, but that all tipped the scale.

Anyway, thought I would share. Maybe me declining will open up a spot for one of you on the waitlist.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Looks like McCombs wasn't bluffing on the lack of scholarships. Haven't seen any reports of scholarship money going out, and the handful of people I've talked to who tried to negotiate a scholarship were all flatly rejected. Was going to reach out to them soon, but feels highly unlikely to bear fruit, based on the experiences of others.

What is everyone looking to do? The McCombs threads have been dead for the past week or so. Deposit deadline is coming up next week, and I still haven't decided.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  33   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts