Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619190 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
Send PM
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
You may also check our blogs for more inputs that may help your application

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/05 ... mal-title/

How to Show Leadership Potential in Your MBA Applications (Even Without Holding a Formal Title)

Business schools are known to value the leadership potential of their candidates very highly. Consequently, applicants often worry that their work experiences are not strong enough to impress the Admissions Committee – especially when they do not hold a high-ranking title or do not have direct reports under their supervision.

Aside from formal leadership responsibilities within your organization, use the tips below to showcase your future leadership potential in your MBA applications:

1) Use Successes of Selling Ideas
MBA applicants who have roles as experts or individual contributors to a company often do not have any staff underneath them. If you are in this position, use examples of your success in selling ideas to showcase your leadership potential. This could include convincing senior management to approve a proposal, collaborating with diverse stakeholders for a project, and getting your plans implemented across the company.

Aside from displaying innovation and initiative, speaking about your success in selling ideas will also allow you to demonstrate your ability to negotiate, align and relate with people from diverse backgrounds and motivations, showcasing you as an applicant who can collaborate with peers at business school and be an effective leader post-MBA. This addresses both the leadership and teamwork skills that Admissions Committees look for, while giving you an avenue to show examples of your creativity and expertise.

2) Play up Personal Passions
To present yourself as an all-around great personality with multiple dimensions, you will need to share your personal interests – the activities you do to have fun, to relieve stress, and to grow outside of the work environment will definitely make you a more interesting candidate to the Admissions Committee. In determining which extracurriculars to elaborate on, choose those that involve leadership responsibilities or impressive projects that you took an active role in (these examples could also easily go in any essays that ask for examples of leadership, success, or failure).

Aside from making your profile stand out and offering you another way to display your leadership potential, sharing your passions in this way will give you the chance to show the Admissions Committee how easy it would be for you to relate with your future business school peers and contribute to their experiences.

3) Include Informal Mentoring and Influencing
Another way to demonstrate your interpersonal leadership skills is to relate stories of how you informally mentored and influenced someone to help you achieve an accomplishment or solve a particular problem. MBA programs increasingly value the importance of this ability. In addition to showing the values of leadership, empathy and teamwork, including information about this mentoring in your profile will also be a great chance to exhibit your drive, initiative and ability to adapt to working with different types of personalities.

By employing the tips above, you will be able to demonstrate strong leadership potential – even without holding an impressive title in your organization – while also sharing outstanding aspects of your personal profile.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi there,

Your profile is good and it will allow you to be considered for Tepper. Although, we recommend that you build a differentiated profile to increase your chances.

If you would like more advice on how to differentiate yourself from other applicants, you can sign up for a Free consultation. We were once MBA applicants and now we help people like you.

Best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi GMAT Club -

I have a friend who is applying in Rd 1 for Tepper with a REALLY low GPA (we're talking mid-2s). However, everything else about them is fantastic.
Thoughts? Obviously, they will be filling out the optional essay explaining why it was low and why it is NOT an indicator of future academic or business success.

High Level Profile:
GMAT: 750 Q:50 V:41
GPA: ~2.5
GPA Explanation: Engineering for 2 years then switched to Economics. Did not prioritize academics in college like they maybe should have. Did not discover true career passion until post-undergrad. However, has since passed both the Series 7 (Financial Rep Exam) and APICS CSCP (Supply Chain Cert) in one shot + really solid GMAT. All 3 are proof of academic capability.
Work Experience: 7 years upon matriculation
Work Experience High Level Details: Consistently highly rated at year-end reviews, accelerated promotion with their current org (3 promos in 4 years). Currently leading major supply chain integration as well as high visibility SC network re-design. Hopes to attend Tepper to build out foundational business skills (Finance, Accounting, etc) as well as deepen their knowledge around Supply Chain & Ops.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.34
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
I think this candidate has a reasonable chance of admission. It will likely come down to his/her performance on the interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 2.77
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
I had somewhat similar numbers (760, 2.77) and didn't manage to get admitted. I did get an interview, which seemed to go well, so maybe the high GMAT can work against you to a certain degree if they're worried about their matriculation. Or at least that's what I tell myself... not sure how the decision was influenced by me being a CMU undergrad alum.

Granted I had a different career focus/background, but I suggest hit hard on your interest in operations and be wary of disclosing where else you've applied. There's no rule that you have to disclose where you're applying and it can only hurt you in the matriculation probability game, especially if you're looking at higher ranking schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: ISB '18 (I)
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi,

Would be great if someone evaluated my profile for ISB R1 class of 2018 intake.

GMAT - 680 (Q44,V40)
CGPA - 8/10
Work Ex - 6.5 years
Work Ex in UK - 1 year
Leading a team of 4.
A school captain(in school), Cult. Sec.(In college) and now heading the Music Club at Oracle Hyderabad.
Been part of numerous television shows on music(Indian Idol,Saregamapa)
Have had a short stint with entrepreneurship for about a year with a gifting service based out Hyderabad.

MTIA.

Regards,
Arko
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: ISB '18 (I)
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Would be great if someone evaluated my profile for Tepper.

GMAT - 680 (Q44,V40)
CGPA - 8/10
Work Ex - 6.5 years
Work Ex in UK - 1 year
A school captain(in school), Cult. Sec.(In college) and now heading the Music Club at Oracle Hyderabad.
Have had a short stint with entrepreneurship for about a year with a gifting service based out Hyderabad.

MTIA.

Regards,
Arko
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Looks all in place except the GMAT although you can give it a try.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
ArkadipSengupta@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Would be great if someone evaluated my profile for Tepper.

GMAT - 680 (Q44,V40)
CGPA - 8/10
Work Ex - 6.5 years
Work Ex in UK - 1 year

MTIA.

Regards,
Arko

Looks promising but in order to really be able to evaluate your profile in depth I need to know a bit more about some of the issues mentioned, mainly your work experience and what your roles were, if you were ever promoted and so on. So feel free to fill out our free profile request on our website https://aringo.com/ and we will get back to you with a more thorough evaluation than what I can offer here based on what you already mentioned.(Please be as detailed as you can about your work experience and anything related to that)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I've been waiting as the interview invites have begun to roll out and have received nothing as of yet. Is my profile weak or OK as I was really hoping to go to Tepper.
GPA - 7.65/10 in Production Engineering From Manipal Institute of Technology (India)
GMAT - 760
Work Ex - Have 18 months of work ex now, will have 25-26 months by the time I join. Worked as a marketing executive and then got promoted to a product manager in less than a year. Represented the company at various exhibitions over the world and have saved approx. $300,000 in projects.
Extra curricular - Basically nothing. Played a lot of sports but only as a hobby, though I believe this still led to a lot of personality development. Did play for the School House in a few sports as a kid but nothing major apart from this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
While your academics are sufficient, you appear to be lacking in the other aspects of your profile. Most business schools require several years of work ex and you are on the absolute lowest end of the spectrum. Extracurriculars are also weak since sports played as a child do not really count and probably should not even be included on the application, unless they are in the essay. This could be why you haven't heard. While Tepper does value a high GMAT, they are a top 20 program and do still look at the entire application. Hopefully, your LORs and Essays impress the adcom enough to get you in. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TowableAphid wrote:
While your academics are sufficient, you appear to be lacking in the other aspects of your profile. Most business schools require several years of work ex and you are on the absolute lowest end of the spectrum. Extracurriculars are also weak since sports played as a child do not really count and probably should not even be included on the application, unless they are in the essay. This could be why you haven't heard. While Tepper does value a high GMAT, they are a top 20 program and do still look at the entire application. Hopefully, your LORs and Essays impress the adcom enough to get you in. Good luck!

Thanks. I wanted to clarify that I still play a lot of sports and did so throughout university. I basically got a walk in captaincy for my university's squash B-team, but injuries prevented me from doing so. I aim to use an MBA as a career switcher, to change industries. Keeping this in mind, I can't really wait to get another few years worth of experience as I find the current industry to be quite mundane. Any tips you have for me there? Really appreciate your insight.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Makes sense. Your overall story is a big part of the application so if you conveyed it convincingly you may be able to get in anyway. What industry are you in and what are you trying to switch to? You need to have be specific about which industry you want to get into and why you have chosen it. Even if not in the application, this will come up in the interviews.

Other than that, you might want to consider programs in some other countries that don't require as much work ex. US based MBA programs tend to heavily value work ex.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TowableAphid wrote:
Makes sense. Your overall story is a big part of the application so if you conveyed it convincingly you may be able to get in anyway. What industry are you in and what are you trying to switch to? You need to have be specific about which industry you want to get into and why you have chosen it. Even if not in the application, this will come up in the interviews.

Other than that, you might want to consider programs in some other countries that don't require as much work ex. US based MBA programs tend to heavily value work ex.

I am currently working in a manufacturing company and have done well here, drawing praise from superiors as high as the Vice President as well as the Managing Director. I am good at it, but I don't really love it and I'm trying to switch to the tech industry because I have always had an inborn interest in it. Plus I tend to have these ideas about technology that I would really like to bring to fruition (for example, I once had this idea that I wasn't able to implement and a year later it was released as an important and widely advertised feature in the iPhone 6S). I portrayed this in my application and mentioned that the reason I chose Tepper was that Carnegie Mellon, to me, was synonymous with Technology and that Tepper in particular had a course structure and career placement record that would suit my career goals.

Considering a program in another country would be an issue in the sense that not many countries come to mind when you think of the tech industry, particularly consumer electronics. At least not English speaking ones.
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Showing fit with the school, your ability to fit with the community and show clearly how the program would help you achieve you achieve your post-MBA goals are some of the other factors that would be taken into consideration.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: LBS '19
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hello All -
I gave my GMAT a couple of days ago and got a score of 720(Q50/V38). I need advice on the schools that I can apply to with my score and have a realistic chance of admission being an Indian applicant. Below is a brief on my profile:

Graduation: Mechanical Engineering(Passed out in 2013) - GPA: 3.5(according to WES)
Work Experience: 39 months in sales and marketing at ExxonMobil Corporation and currently working as an operations manager at NEED(Network for Economic and Entrepreneurship Development ; It's a non-profit organization based out of Lucknow, India)
Extra-Curriculars: school and college Football team, Squash and Swimming school teams ; Acted in and directed Choreos during college ; Part of organizing committee of a number of college fests and led the marketing team during a couple of fests.
Volunteer work: Part of a number of volunteer activities during college and work at EM(house building, teaching, roadshows etc).

Interest: Marketing and Strategy

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)

Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6