Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [149]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [36]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [22]
Given Kudos: 334
Schools: LBS '18 ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
Re: It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe [#permalink]
my guess A
was stuck between A and D
oa?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
[quote="EBITDA"]It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbers of fish will increase, but in the case of fish such as salmon such a recovery can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

a) can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.
hypothetical subjunctive for ( if i were to ...i would .. ) hold it as not sure about can

b) would come about much more readily if governments order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow that spawning fish requires. --
if < present tense (order)> then would -- wrong

c) came about much more readily if governments would order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

if < would order > then came -- wrong

d) might come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.
same as A . and this option seems inferior to A .

e) would have come about much more readily if governments ordered the removal of the dams that limit the water flow that fish need in order to spawn.

if < past tense (ordered) > then only past tense or only would is allowed , but not would have -- wrong.

IMO A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
i think a
present subjuctive,
in if clause, were is used, in main clause, present tense of verb is used.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [5]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hard
I think d.
there is no pattern in A
present tense in if clause, must go with present tense in main clause

past tense in if clause must go with past tense in main clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbers of fish will increase, but in the case of fish such as salmon such a recovery can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

a) can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.
b) would come about much more readily if governments order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow that spawning fish requires.
c) came about much more readily if governments would order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.
d) might come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.
e) would have come about much more readily if governments ordered the removal of the dams that limit the water flow that fish need in order to spawn.

I think B

a > refers to action in past tense , hence should not be used

b> Present tense highlights the limiting of waterflow which the fish requires

c> came about much more readily is incorrect constructions

d> were to order ... past tense

e> ordered > past tense

Please share the OA once you have it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
D.) is the answer, because it correctly follows the if (past).....then(past) condition.

might(past tense) come about much more readily if governments were(past tense) to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Send PM
grv805 wrote:
D.) is the answer, because it correctly follows the if (past).....then(past) condition.

might(past tense) come about much more readily if governments were(past tense) to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

i think ur reasoning is wrong here(were is not past tense here. its a subjunctive mood)

eg.If i were a rich man, i'll buy 1000 cars.

still looking for exact reasoning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
EBITDA wrote:
It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbers of fish will increase, but in the case of fish such as salmon such a recovery can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

b) would come about much more readily if governments order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow that spawning fish requires.

Could you please explain why do you discard or choose each of the options?

i was stuck with A and D. but after reading couple of times Choice D > Choice A

in A, if government limit fishing,then numbers WILL increase(can or not), but in case of salmon (IT WILL, but after comma CLEARLY states that.)

So we need MIGHT(100 % it will happen because there is contrast in the sentence with but) not CAN (50-50%)

hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM