GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
CAT Tests
Re: It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 06:38
EBITDA wrote:
It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbers of fish will increase, but in the case of fish such as salmon such a recovery can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

(A) can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

(B) would come about much more readily if governments order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow that spawning fish requires.

(C) came about much more readily if governments would order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

(D) might come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.

(E) would have come about much more readily if governments ordered the removal of the dams that limit the water flow that fish need in order to spawn.

daagh
I rejected E as the structure is wrong of if same is the case with C
Now in B can we use would with present tense I think no
Left with A and C
I rejected can as it is in present tense can I reject it on that ground or as mentioned by sayantanc2k it ability not possibility
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 07:47
Top Contributor
My first reaction is that this question may not be an official GMAT Prep question. Lately, there are plenty of questions that are doing the rounds in the garb of GMATPREP questions.
However, let's first consider the grammar especially ''the Second Conditionals'

(A) can come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.--- This is purely a case of the second conditional wherein if a past tense is used in the if clause, then either a would or could or might should be used in the main clause. 'Can come about' is grammatically wrong.

(B) would come about much more readily if governments order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow that spawning fish requires.-- When the 'if' clause uses the present tense, the main clause cannot use would

(C) came about much more re
adily if governments would order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish. -- We never use 'would' in an 'if' clause.

(D) might come about much more readily if governments were to order the removal of the dams that limit the water-flow required by spawning fish.-- correct use second conditional

(E) would have come about much more readily if governments ordered the removal of the dams that limit the water flow that fish need in order to spawn.-- if the if clause contains a simple past, we cannot use 'would have' in the main clause.

P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 13:29
Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma,

I was wondering could you one of you please explain the underlying difference between option A and D. The tag for this question is given as a GMATPrep; however, upon doing a simple google search, I found no search results for this question except for the GMATClub. mikemcgarry mentioned this is not a good question; however, the tag for this question is listed as an official one. I am not completely sure if this question is indeed an official question but if one of you could please share your thoughts between option A and D, I would greatly appreciate it!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 02:43
The answer is D. It is the only one that follows the correct form of ,if (past tense)…then (past) condition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 09:44
AjiteshArun
Can you please brief how A is correct ?
As mikemcgarry mentioned it is not official question but I didn't understand how A is correct ?
Since if I were then I would..
We need could instead of can
how can is correct ?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 11:57
teaserbae wrote:
The OA mentioned below the question is D. Just check whether that was the option that you went for.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 20:57
AjiteshArun wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
The OA mentioned below the question is D. Just check whether that was the option that you went for.

I went for D
I rejected A because can is not correct it should have been could
Is my reasoning correct ?
the other poster before mentioned can is correct too so I got confused
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 12:44
JS1290 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo VeritasKarishma,

I was wondering could you one of you please explain the underlying difference between option A and D. The tag for this question is given as a GMATPrep; however, upon doing a simple google search, I found no search results for this question except for the GMATClub. mikemcgarry mentioned this is not a good question; however, the tag for this question is listed as an official one. I am not completely sure if this question is indeed an official question but if one of you could please share your thoughts between option A and D, I would greatly appreciate it!

daagh wrote:
My first reaction is that this question may not be an official GMAT Prep question. Lately, there are plenty of questions that are doing the rounds in the garb of GMATPREP questions.

I agree with daagh here. Something seems really, really fishy with this question: it doesn't appear anywhere else online, and the non-underlined portion sounds like it was written by a non-native speaker.

So please don't waste your time on this question! I've changed the tag to "other -- please specify", but if anybody can verify that it actually comes from GMATPrep, let us know, and we'll change it back.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2019, 12:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

It has often been assumed that if governments limit fishing, the numbe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics