While there’s a lot of truth to the commonly held wisdom that applying to business school in the final round means your chances of being admitted are wafer slim, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School offers five compelling reasons why you still have a chance in the last MBA application deadline.
According to admissions, you shouldn’t give up hope before the final round because:
1. Fewer applicants apply in the fourth round, so while the number of total offers extended during this round might be lower, the admission rate (the percentage of applicants admitted) may be just as high as in the earlier rounds.
2. By the time the final round deadline arrives, the school can begin to see what the first-year class is going to look like and sometimes the class will need some balancing. As an example, if there’s a lot of students coming in with marketing backgrounds and few from investment banking, applicants from I-banking would have a higher than normal shot in the last round.
UNC Kenan-Flagler says it’s quite possible that they might be looking for a student with a profile identical to yours, and therefore your chance of admission in the last MBA application round is high.
3. Even international students shouldn’t give up hope. Almost every international student admitted during the fourth round who accepted the offer quickly has been able to complete the steps for a student visa and move here before the start of classes, the school says.
4. While most of merit fellowship funds are usually awarded in the earlier rounds, UNC Kenan-Flagler reserves some funds for those exceptionally strong candidates applying the final round.
5. Finally, if you submit your strongest application to the admissions committee during the final round and are not admitted, you’re on their radar for the next application season. If you apply again the following year, the school knows know you’re serious about getting your MBA, particularly at UNC Kenan-Flagler. The dedication and persistence will be noticed.
If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.