Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

30% (01:46) correct 70% (00:49) wrong based on 243 sessions
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.

(a) equivalent to the residents of
(b) the equivalent of those residing in
(c) equal to those who reside in
(d) as many as the residents of
(e) as many as reside in

source: Veritas SC 2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 395 [3] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booming population [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
equal / equivalent usage -

2 + 2 = 4 ( equal ). Equal is reserved keyword - highly restricted.

SGD 1.5 is equivalent to USD 1.0. Equivalent is not as restricted as equal.

Both keywords are used against the exact number. When you use approx numbers you CANT use these keywords.

Hence answer is E "as many as" defines "over 3.5billion people" ----> which is not a exact number.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Re: Booming population [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 01:27
I think it can't be D because if you remove the words "as many as" you can see that "3.6 billion people reside in all the other areas of the world combined" makes sense but "3.6 billion people the residents of all the other areas of the world combined" doesn't make sense.

Please give Kudos if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Booming population [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
hetalcs wrote:
I think it can't be D because if you remove the words "as many as" you can see that "3.6 billion people reside in all the other areas of the world combined" makes sense but "3.6 billion people the residents of all the other areas of the world combined" doesn't make sense.

great explanation, thanks alot
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Booming population [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 17:12
was between E and D and picked the wrong one :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 02:07
Still a bit confused on why not D

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 11:38
I too picked the wrong one i.e. D instead of E

But after reading the sentence multiple times I feel that use of the verb "reside" makes more sense than using the noun "residents" :roll:

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Operations

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 14:09
I feel like E is awkwardly worded. It sounds like "resides" lacks a subject. I answered D as first. Still have a hard time justifying why E is a better choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 33

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 20:11
confused between E&D picked the former! my bad!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 01:37
i am also stuck between D and E. but hetalcs perfectly explain the matter

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 241

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 04:09
zisis wrote:
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.
(e) as many as reside in

source: Veritas SC 2

Waiting for expert's explanation.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 2040 [6] , given: 30

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fameatop wrote:
zisis wrote:
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.
(e) as many as reside in

Can you kindly explain what are the things compared & what are errors in incorrect options because I am completely confused in this question. Waiting for expert's explanation.

I'm happy to help. :-)

First, let me say --- I don't think this is a very good question. I don't think it's particularly GMAT like. This is a question that turns on one particular, somewhat obscure trick ---- exceedingly few GMAT SC questions are one-trick ponies, and those that are do not depend solely on something as arcane as does this question.

The modifying clause that appears after the word "about" touches the word "people" and therefore should modify "people".

The word "equivalent" is a word for talking about qualitative relationships ----
Among American WWII general there was no equivalent to Pershing, the supreme Allied commander in WWI.
The word "equivalent" is not appropriate for numerical relationships --- 2 + 3 is NOT "equivalent" to 5 --- rather, 2 + 3 EQUALS 5. Do not use "equivalent" for numbers. Choices (A) & (B) are trainwreck wrong.

The problem with (C) is more subtle. Technically, the "people" in Asia are not "equal" to anything --- rather, the number of people in Asia is equal to something. As it stands, (C) is illogical and wrong. We could correct version (C) by writing ....

... to over 3.5 billion people, a number about equal to those who reside in ....

This is now grammatically & logically correct, but it's very indirect and wordy, so even this probably would not be correct on the GMAT SC.

I believe (D) & (E) are both grammatically & logically correct, and it's just that (E) is sleek and efficient, and (D) is longer, clunkier, and more awkward --- that's what makes (E) better than (D). To give credit where credit is due --- I don't like this SC question overall, but the OA sentence is a very elegantly constructed sentence.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 23:29
Does the last part not make this a run-on?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 06:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 08:38
How is E correct? Can there be a verb after "as many as"?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 498

Kudos [?]: 2040 [1] , given: 30

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
radi wrote:
How is E correct? Can there be a verb after "as many as"?

Dear radi,
I am happy to respond. :-) The short answer is: yes! A verb can come after "as many as," precisely because words have been omitted in the parallel structure.

Here's version (E) with all the extra words:
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about as many as the people who reside in all the other areas of the world combined.
As many people as people --- that's a logical correct comparison, but phrasing it this way is wordy and awkward. In parallelism, we can drop repeated or implied words in the second branch. That gives us the true version of (E), the OA:
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about as many as reside in all the other areas of the world combined.
Recognizing what has been dropped legitimately from the second branch of parallelism is one of the hardest things to appreciate about parallelism. See this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 21:01
Thanks Mike! It makes more sense now
Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 21:01