GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 08:38
How is E correct? Can there be a verb after "as many as"?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 09:49
radi wrote:
How is E correct? Can there be a verb after "as many as"?

Dear radi,
I am happy to respond. :-) The short answer is: yes! A verb can come after "as many as," precisely because words have been omitted in the parallel structure.

Here's version (E) with all the extra words:
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about as many as the people who reside in all the other areas of the world combined.
As many people as people --- that's a logical correct comparison, but phrasing it this way is wordy and awkward. In parallelism, we can drop repeated or implied words in the second branch. That gives us the true version of (E), the OA:
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about as many as reside in all the other areas of the world combined.
Recognizing what has been dropped legitimately from the second branch of parallelism is one of the hardest things to appreciate about parallelism. See this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 21:01
Thanks Mike! It makes more sense now
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2014, 11:31
PTK what is "Drive your VAN" Rule?
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 12:58
daagh wrote:
That I feel is the beauty of this out and out meaning- based question, the meaning of which is masquerading under so many structures. The apparent meaning of the sentence is that some 3.5 billion people reside in Asia, in comparison to just as many as those reside outside. Hence, the comparison is between the action of the Asians and the action of the rest. In such instances
It is appropriate to use a comparative idiom -as many as -.

The problem of the issue is that, the action of the second arm is mostly elliptical and understood rather than explicitly stated. For example, when we say that Team A has played as many matches as Team B, we actually mean that Team A has played as many matches as Team B (has played). This is indeed a subtle comparison of actions masquerading as comparison of nouns. That is the reason D is dumped.

Final qualifier: All these are my opinions.

I do agree with the usage of "as many as" w.r.t the Team A and B example. There we are comparing the number of matches played which is implicit in the meaning with Team B.

But I am little confused about applying this usage with this particular question of discussion.

" the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about...."
and if i rephrase it as
"..the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion residents, about..."

because people reside there in Asia are residents of Asia, which is almost equal to the size of Residents of the other areas of the world.

If I see the statement this way, I do not understand the why (D) is wrong, because what I am comparing is Residents (noun) of Asia to the Resident(noun) of other World? and in (C) we are comparing the action (reside (verb)) whereas the comparison is about the "residents" (Noun)

Actually above was my first though when I solved the question and I choose the option (D), which is wrong. I want to understand the concept behind it so that I can change my thought process for good :)

Any help appreciated...
Thanks
Sandeep
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 20:25
In A and B, equivalent does not convey the intended meaning. EQUIVALENT means "of equal value". We cannot say that 3.5 billion people are "of equal value" to another group of people. Eliminate A and B.

In C, we cannot say that 3.5 BILLION PEOPLE are equal to THOSE who reside in all the other areas of the world. The PEOPLE themselves are not equal; the NUMBER of people is equal. Eliminate C.

In D, as is used to compare actions, but it is not clear what action is being performed by the residents of all the other areas of the world. Eliminate D.

HTH

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 18:21
souvik101990 wrote:
In D, as is used to compare actions, but it is not clear what action is being performed by the residents of all the other areas of the world. Eliminate D.

HTH

Hello - please can you elaborate the option (D) being wrong?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 08:14
A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to over 3.5 billion people, about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world combined.
(a) equivalent to the residents of
(b) the equivalent of those residing in
(c) equal to those who reside in
(d) as many as the residents of
(e) as many as reside in
mikemcgarry wrote:
The modifying clause that appears after the word "about" touches the word "people" and therefore should modify "people".

The word "equivalent" is a word for talking about qualitative relationships ----
Among American WWII general there was no equivalent to Pershing, the supreme Allied commander in WWI.
The word "equivalent" is not appropriate for numerical relationships --- 2 + 3 is NOT "equivalent" to 5 --- rather, 2 + 3 EQUALS 5. Do not use "equivalent" for numbers. Choices (A) & (B) are trainwreck wrong.

The problem with (C) is more subtle. Technically, the "people" in Asia are not "equal" to anything --- rather, the number of people in Asia is equal to something. As it stands, (C) is illogical and wrong. We could correct version (C) by writing ....

... to over 3.5 billion people, a number about equal to those who reside in ....

This is now grammatically & logically correct, but it's very indirect and wordy, so even this probably would not be correct on the GMAT SC.

I want to add something coming to options D and E.
people reside in means they live in, occupy or inhabit
residents of-means that "A person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis"( as per Oxford dic)

sample sentences
Citizens or permanent residents of other countries must have a valid passport and/or a valid visitor's visa.
The majority of the permanent residents are retired ‘incomers’ devoted to growing their own vegetables and etching.
Only four of the 10 houses on the street are now owned by long-term residents.

And this sentence compares the population(people who currently stay in) of Asian continent and that of other areas of the world combined.
So E is preferred.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :-D
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 06:08
NishaTG wrote:
I think it can't be D because if you remove the words "as many as" you can see that "3.6 billion people reside in all the other areas of the world combined" makes sense but "3.6 billion people the residents of all the other areas of the world combined" doesn't make sense.

not understand why d is wrong
pls, explain more
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 15:14
thangvietnam wrote:
NishaTG wrote:
I think it can't be D because if you remove the words "as many as" you can see that "3.6 billion people reside in all the other areas of the world combined" makes sense but "3.6 billion people the residents of all the other areas of the world combined" doesn't make sense.

not understand why d is wrong
pls, explain more

Dear thangvietnam,
I'm happy to respond. :-) You and many others on this thread have asked about this.

This is not the highest quality SC question. Veritas usually writes high quality questions, but this one is shakier.

You see, on a true GMAT SC question, there is one right answer, and each of the four incorrect answers are wrong for some unambiguously obvious reason. Even the tempting wrong answers on the GMAT are clearly wrong.

On this problem, that is not the case. In this question, both (D) and (E) are grammatically correct. (E) is shorter, more elegant, so it is better answer, but I entirely agree that (D) is not "wrong enough" --- in this way, this SC question falls short of the high standards of the GMAT. Also, the "equal/equivalent" thing does not strike me as particularly GMAT like.

Now, here's the really important thing for you to appreciate. Focusing on the aspects of any question that are not GMAT like will in no way prepare you for the GMAT. This question is one that has fallen short of the GMAT standards, because as an incorrect answer, (D) is not "wrong enough," not as discernibly wrong as an incorrect choice would be on the GMAT. This is the non-GMAT-like part of this question. Focusing on this will not help you at all.

The OA of this question is an incredibly elegant and well-written sentence: it's very much work understanding that. It is certainly worthwhile understanding the parallelism necessary for a well-constructed comparison. Don't be troubled by the aspects of a flawed question that are not GMAT-like.

Do not naively assume that every company that puts something out and calls it a "practice GMAT SC question" has automatically ensured that the quality of the question is up to the GMAT's lofty standards. It is VERY VERY hard to write questions that are as rigorous as those of the GMAT itself, and many companies regularly fall short. Even a very good company, such as Veritas, doesn't hit the mark every time. It's important to appreciate how hard it is to write a question that conforms to these standards, and to be correspondingly suspicious of the quality of each new question you encounter. You can't afford to be naive as a GMAT aspirant, just as you can't afford to be naive in the business world.

Here's a high quality question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3284

Does all this make sense?
Mike

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 22:16
souvik101990 wrote:
In A and B, equivalent does not convey the intended meaning. EQUIVALENT means "of equal value". We cannot say that 3.5 billion people are "of equal value" to another group of people. Eliminate A and B.

In C, we cannot say that 3.5 BILLION PEOPLE are equal to THOSE who reside in all the other areas of the world. The PEOPLE themselves are not equal; the NUMBER of people is equal. Eliminate C.

HTH

Hello,

can you please explain to my, how I can detect, that in "D", "as" is used to compare action? Initially I thought that "as" is used to compare number of people with number of residents.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 03:44
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This is an interesting question that points out the importance of proper comparisons. The logical meaning of this sentence is that the number of people in Asia is equal to the number of people in the rest of the world. The word “equivalent” or even “equal” does not clearly mean numerically equivalent. I could use it in the sentence “Three NBA players would be the equivalent of six college players.” This is the problem with answer choice A. It indicates that the people in Asia are “about equivalent to the residents of all the other areas of the world.” This could mean qualitatively equivalent as in they have the equivalent “brainpower” of the rest of the world. Choices A, B, and C all suffer from this ambiguity.

Choice D and E use the more specific phrase “as many as” this clearly indicates a numerical equivalency and is preferred. Choice E is shorter, more direct and conveys the comparison accurately. 3.5 billion people is “about as many as reside in the rest of the world.” Choice D has a subtle but significant comparison error - the number isn't as many as "the residents" but rather "the number of residents". Choice E performs this comparison correctly and therefore is the correct answer.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:22
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 19:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 19:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

A booming population center, the Asian continent is home to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap