Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 20:26 It is currently 10 May 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73143 [27]
Given Kudos: 18943
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73143 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep course reviews, discount, codes [#permalink]
Kudos
It's nice to have a post consolidating all the information and reviews. Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi wilbase, I think the following things affected me:

- Most importantly, when I practiced, I didn't do the AWA (just didn't consider it important). I underestimated the impact of expending 50 minutes of intellectual energy before the CAT.
- I was slightly dehydrated from an excrutiating soccer match in the sun two days earlier (I work in the Middle East and it gets very hot here, though right now it's pleasant).
- Cracked under pressure (I think I want this much more badly than I've wanted results in previous tests, in which I've usually done well).

So things to watch out for:
- practice PROPERLY
- stay well hydrated, fed, rested etc
- keep your cool!

I'm going to bounce back.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73143 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tallmild wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have gone through a chunk of OG (and some of GMATCubs practice questions) and scored 690 on the OG's diagnostic tests but want to get up to 720. I took the diagnostic test twice - once before practicing and once after the score did not change whatsoever :|

From reading the reviews it does not sound like Kaplan's in-class prep would be a good fit for me. I am not sure whether Kaplan Advanced would be any good? Or if I should just go with Knewton because of the good reviews they get even though it is online.

My questions:
- What good in-class GMAT prep course would you recommend for someone who wants to increase their score by 30-50 points? Kaplan Advanced or Manhattan Review or...?
- If no such in-class course exists, would you simply recommend Knewton or even doing more practice problems through the many books/GmatClub's practice problems that are available?

You help is much appreciated. Thanks!

One advantage you have with Knewton is the 50-point money back guarantee (if you don't get 740, you get your money back). You will also get GMAT Club tests for free if you use our promo code to sign up (GC-Knewton-GMAT).

As to others, I have not taken any, so you have to rely on the feedback from reviews to make your selection.

Finally, consider browsing through this thread: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html
Do you really need to bump your score more?
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
I am curious what you guys end up picking - please keep us posted on the decision and through the process

Hi bb,

Sure..i enrolled for Knewton mainly because i felt that my verbal score is low because of lack of practice. What i heard of knewton is that thet mimic the OG questions, so i feel that is what i need..

Will post the review.. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have taken three courses, MGMAT, Knewton, and mastergmat.

here are my views:
Mastergmat: the course is average. The content is not enough for you if you are targeting above 710.
Pros:
1. Excellent support from instructors. This i think is the best part. even though the course is not really adaptive, but i could schedule many sessions with them and in those sessions they shared with my specific weak areas and strong areas(like "special triangles" / "paradox resolving") from their back-end data based on my performance on the course-ware. Ditto for AWA. These were one-to-one sessions and were the most helpful in bettering my performance. Such one to one attention was not there in the other two.
2. detailed and patient one-on-one CAT analyses.
2. Awesome AWA analysis and preparation support. This included templates for both essays and detailed analysis of 4 essays each (issue and argument).
3. quick responses to emails. There was also constant encouragement and morale boosting, even in my one to one session on the lest day of prep; a personal touch:)

Cons:
1. average content. Not very reflective of actual GMAT. I would say i found the content easy and tricks (covered extensively on knewton) were there but not as good.
2. CATs were not good. For one they give the score in a range. my ranges were smtimes 690-710 and smtimes 730-770: clearly confusing. second, i used to get more than 4 RCs on my tests (smtimes even 7! ) with 2 - 5 questions each. The reason they gave for this abnormality is that their system ran out of higher level questions to give me and since RC had highest weightage on their system, thats wat used to pop up for me.

Knewton: Good. but not enough if you want extra help. Id say take it if you can study entirely on your using their online material.
Pros:
1. Good content, and CATs: GMAT like.
2. very explanatory videos (on demand or live) covering the session topic very well.
3. good coverage on realistic test taking methods/ tricks. really helped, especially their "tells" for identifying sentence errors in verbal, tricks in math, and their guessing techniques for desperate situations. coming to the 50-50 split was greatly emphasised and it works well on test day.
4. gave very handy "Knotes" covering entire syllabus in a few pages.

Mixed:
1. It's 'adaptive'. This is the most discussed and publicised part of Knewton. But honestly, having seen waht exactly is adaptive in there, i think it is a little too hyped (and takes away attention from other things)

Cons:
1. extremely bad support. I didnt attend live sessions so i cannot be sure how much time the instructor wud spend with you after a live class. but as such queries you put on their query platform (answres.knewton) went unanswered fr days! reason they gave: nature of query is such that they get qued, hence the delay. One of my verbal queries(something on identifying paradoxes) was unanswred for 20 days inspite of my emails/additional queries. i didnt understand wat was wrong with its nature. ;) I gave up.
2. bad test analysis system. they only explain why the correct answer is correct and why the worngs are wrong. if you disagree or cannot understand only option is to post a query. they also do not provide the difficulty level of questions on your results page. so you cannot analyse your test performance even yourself very accurately. i posted queries for help on analysing my tests, never got replies. i saw others too on their forum who got no replies to similar qstns. they gave Same reason: 'nature of query'. AWA analyses/preparation support was also pretty limited.
3. Once you exhaust their material(i did in two months, my gmat was due after another full month) theres nothing more you can do except go over their "concept que" :one page dedicated to one highly specific concept. while these pages help, theres still no content left fr you to practice on. couldnt even retale my CATs. i ventured to ask for more material. of course i got no reply.
4. in case, for any reason, you wish to restart the course you cannot get the adaptive aspect back. you can only retake section wise tests you have already taken. They dont reset your account. their reason: resetting will cause loss of data for them (and you)

one case specific problem was that their live classes are held for students across the globe. their timings never suited me (3 am /4 am/ 1am...) hence i completely lost out on a part of wat i paid for.

My experience was bad with knewton. with the money i paid, i needed good support for answering my doubts and not just unending interconnnected concepts and material left or me to do by myself. personally i found the scoring awkward too. on one instance i got two verbal questions(far apart frm each other) wrong and scored 41 while on another i got 7 wrong (3 consecutive plus 2 others consecutive, and 2 separate) and got 42. didnt underatnt it. but cant say.... cz i dnt know hw it wrks. no knowldge abt diffcutly level compouned problems.

MGMAT: By far the best. even its test series alone can bring about great improvement. I didnt go through the entire material. just did the tests and used parts of the material (a few PDFs). Ill therefore not list the pros and cons but just say that whatevr i did from MGMAT was fresh and great. The CAT analyses was absolutely fabulous! very detailed and helped me improve A LOT. It ensured that i never slipped downward. only went upward in my score. I didnt need any support. BTW, they also provide you the option to reset your account to start from scratch if you want to(in case your prep got a break or somethng). PS: their flashcards were very handy.

Phew. long post. i hope this helps. These are completely my personal views based on my personal experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
"how good the material and its questions are relative to the ACTUAL gmat verbal question"- pretty much yes.

"Do you attribute any improvement in your verbal score to knewton?" - No. In my first GMAT attempt i got very nervous and on top of that i was hungry during the verbal section. (yes its true! i hadnt accounted for it. and i cudnt apply my brains with a hungry stomach). So that accounts for the low score. As such my verbal score was always >=40. Having said that, i'd say that the way they explain verbal concepts in their vids is good. It's easy to pick up even finer points from their explanations.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73143 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kylem4711 wrote:
received a ridiculously low score on my first gmat. I just signed up with knewton so I am hoping to see a substancial boost. With me luck!

Good Luck.
Did you sign up with Knewton via GMAT Club link? www.knewton.com/gmat/pricing/gmatclub/ ?

if so, you will also get access to the GMAT Club Tests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
jfk wrote:
I have a question about the Manhattan 9 Session Prep Course.

I already bought the 8 Strategy guides as well as the Offical Guide (12th ed) - is there any way to get a discount on the course if do not want to get the books again? (i.e. deduct the price for the books from the total course fee...)

Thanks for your help!

I believe You can actually get a discount (don't quote me on it) - just check with the MGMAT representative and they will give you a credit (won't ship the books either)

I spoke with a Manhattan representative and she told me that you only get a discount for the Official Guide books. You WOULD not get a discount if you already own the Manhattan series. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't give you a discount because you will have two sets of the Manhattan series. I guess you would have to sell one set. Right now, I am researching the different courses to determine if I need to take one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos