Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
malavika1 wrote:
If the standard/quality/appropriateness of GMAT questions varies with the company that "currently" makes questions for GMAT, this is really unfortunate.

Also, this is brilliant information for me Sir. So, GMAT actually "outsources" the question preparation? Wow. Which was this company and which company now makes questions for GMAT?
ETS used to make GMAT questions. Now GMAT questions are made by ACT. I actually asked some senior people at the GMAC, and they said that they stand by all GMAT questions (even the ETS questions). But in some cases we can clearly see explanations in the OG changing. I don't think that's a bad thing. Language evolves, and so too must GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in [#permalink]
Interesting. What is ACT?

I tried searching on Google and could not find any reference.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
I'm just saying that we don't have reliable evidence to the contrary, that the GMAT is definitely not fine with it

Hello Sir, in terms of GMAT, what exactly would be considered a reliable evidence?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipa¬tion, setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.
(A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered
(B) setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as
(C) and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as
(D) and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered
(E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as

'Considered as' is unidiomatic, so we eliminate B,C and E.

In D the usage of article 'The' before the slaves means that he had more than 500 slaves and only 500 were leagally his property while the rest were illeagal.,it is change in meaning so elimiate D

A is the correct choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
malavika1 wrote:
Ajitesh, I have an idiom list which mentions that "consider as" is not correct.

Can you cite an example where GMAT is fine with this usage? Will help me clarify this ambiguity.
The thinking behind that particular entry in your idiom list is flawed. Consider as is standard and is very much in use, even if it is (perhaps) not as common, or as concise, as consider X Y (where X and Y are both nouns). However, it remains a stretch to say that the as will always be incorrect.

Whether this affects you or not is debatable, but what is not debatable is that the GMAT has exploited such incorrect classifications in the past by making questions in which the correct option uses a supposedly unidiomatic structure.

Hi AjiteshArun, Utkarsh from Jamboree Classes. I have a doubt, Is it correct to use 'the' before 'more than' as used in option A?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
utkarshthapak wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun, Utkarsh from Jamboree Classes. I have a doubt, Is it correct to use 'the' before 'more than' as used in option A?
Hi Utkarsh, yes it is. Look at it this way:

The people
The 110 people (just specifying the number)
The (>100) people (maybe we don't know the exact number, or that level of precision is unnecessary)
The (more than hundred) people (putting it in words)
The more than hundred people

Here is a similar sentence from a recent NYT article:
Quote:
Employees like Dolan, who work the phones, start at $14 an hour, about a dollar less than the median wage earned by the more than 2.5 million Americans who work as customer-service representatives.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
please help with this question. what is "comma setting" modifying - i understand that Robert stunned his family by filling deed and as result set free slaves. The "comma setting" verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause ie Robert Stunned. Which now means that Robert stunned his family by doing two things 1) filling deed 2) setting free slaves. i thing it cannot by filling deed. please help egmat GMATNinja sayantanc2k abhimahna VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kj1993 wrote:
please help with this question. what is "comma setting" modifying - i understand that Robert stunned his family by filling deed and as result set free slaves. The "comma setting" verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause ie Robert Stunned. Which now means that Robert stunned his family by doing two things 1) filling deed 2) setting free slaves. i thing it cannot by filling deed. please help egmat GMATNinja sayantanc2k abhimahna VeritasKarishma

'setting free ... ' is a present participle appearing at the end of the sentence separated by a comma. It is modifying the entire preceding sentence and is showing the impact of the preceding sentence.

He stunned his family by filing the deed - the result of this action was setting free the slaves.

Check out how participles are used: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/1 ... -the-gmat/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I narrowed down to option A and B because of verb'ing modifier. I missed wrong usage of "the" but eliminated A because it was not using "as " . Since "as" is used to depict role or function. here slaves have been considered as his property, depicting role/function of slaves. therefore "as" is needed in the sentence.can anyone tell where i went wrong?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
hridaybector wrote:
I narrowed down to option A and B because of verb'ing modifier. I missed wrong usage of "the" but eliminated A because it was not using "as " . Since "as" is used to depict role or function. here slaves have been considered as his property, depicting role/function of slaves. therefore "as" is needed in the sentence.can anyone tell where i went wrong?

Hello, hridaybector. For GMAT™ purposes, it is better to think of considered as as unidiomatic, losing out to considered in this sort of context. If you know to look for the offending as, then you can make quick work of (B). You might find this old Manhattan Prep thread useful, in which a few instructors chime in on the topic. To be clear, I am not saying that considered as is always incorrect in English, but when it comes to GMAT™ SC questions, I have always seen the stripped-down version win out instead.

Happy reading.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Mahmud6 wrote:
Let, Robert had 510 slaves. Without 'the' it means any number of slaves between 501 and 510 inclusive and with 'the' it means all 510 slaves.
To get the meaning difference, don't start by setting 510 as the total number, because it is that number that changes in this question.

He solved the more than 100 questions in the book.
This means that there are more than a hundred questions in the book (say 110) and he solved all of them.

He solved more than the 100 questions in the book.
This means that there are a hundred questions in the book (not 110), and he solved more questions than just those in the book (say from a test or another book).

AjiteshArun

I have gone through your explanation w.r.t 'significance of 'the'.
Please find below whether my understanding of option A&B is correct for usage of 'the'

Option A: setting free the more than 500 slaves- means there were more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.He set free some SPECIFIC number which is more than 500 but did not mention precise(how many).

Option B : setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as- means he set free more than 500 slaves ( all 500 those who were considered legal his property PLUS those slaves who might not be considered his slaves.

I am doubtful about the understanding of option B.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

Please find below whether my understanding of option A&B is correct for usage of 'the'

Option A: setting free the more than 500 slaves- means there were more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.He set free some SPECIFIC number which is more than 500 but did not mention precise(how many).

Option B : setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as- means he set free more than 500 slaves ( all 500 those who were considered legal his property PLUS those slaves who might not be considered his slaves.

Thanks
Hi gmatassassin88,

That is correct. Let's start by leaving the number out:
1. the slaves who were legally considered his propertyAll the slaves who were legally considered his property

Now, let's put a number in:
2. the 500 slaves who were legally considered his propertyAll the slaves who were considered his property, and it specifies the exact number (500)

Okay, but what if the exact number is not known?
3. the (more than 500) slaves who were legally considered his property ← Again, all the slaves who were legally considered his property, and it includes the number, but with reduced precision ("> 500" instead of "500")

This is usually done when the precise number is not known, unnecessary, or awkward when used in the sentence. Consider the following sentences:
4. The one billion three hundred eighty million four hundred eighteen thousand nine hundred eighty-nine people of India will soon need to apply for an Aadhaar card.
5. The more than one billion people of India will soon need to apply for an Aadhaar card.

Even if we somehow managed to get the number in (4) right, it would have changed by the time we finished writing the sentence. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

Thanks
Hi gmatassassin88,

That is correct. Let's start by leaving the number out:
1. the slaves who were legally considered his propertyAll the slaves who were legally considered his property

Now, let's put a number in:
2. the 500 slaves who were legally considered his propertyAll the slaves who were considered his property, and it specifies the exact number (500)

Okay, but what if the exact number is not known?
3. the (more than 500) slaves who were legally considered his property ← Again, all the slaves who were legally considered his property, and it includes the number, but with reduced precision ("> 500" instead of "500")

This is usually done when the precise number is not known, unnecessary, or awkward when used in the sentence. Consider the following sentences:
4. The one billion three hundred eighty million four hundred eighteen thousand nine hundred eighty-nine people of India will soon need to apply for an Aadhaar card.
5. The more than one billion people of India will soon need to apply for an Aadhaar card.

Even if we somehow managed to get the number in (4) right, it would have changed by the time we finished writing the sentence. :)

AjiteshArun

Thanks for your explanation for option A ' The more than..', explanation matches to my above reasoning I believe.

However my doubts pertains to the mention phrase.(option B)

'more than the 500 slaves who considered legal property's Please share your explanation on this one.

i have shared my reasoning in the earlier post.Please share your's.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

Thanks for your explanation for option A ' The more than..', explanation matches to my above reasoning I believe.

However my doubts pertains to the mention phrase.(option B)

'more than the 500 slaves who considered legal property's Please share your explanation on this one.

i have shared my reasoning in the earlier post.Please share your's.
Your analysis is correct. We can read that portion of the sentence as:

more than (the 500 slaves who were legally considered his property)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Let’s take you have more than 500 flowers and you want to sell all of them. Then we say that you want to sell the more than 500 flowers.
In the second case, you have more than 600 or 700 flowers, but you want to sell only just more than 500 flowers, say 550 or so , retaining the others. In this case, we will say that you want to sell more than the 500 flowers.
In the given topic the in A before more stresses that he set free all his 500 and odd slaves, while D implies that he retained some. This is not the intended meaning. If he wanted emancipate slaves, why would ha have retained a few alone?

Shouldn't there be a comma before who in A?

Gagan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1201
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
In option A, isn't 'who' redundant? If we were to use 'who', should we know place a comma after slaves?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gagan0303 wrote:
Shouldn't there be a comma before who in A?

Gagan

Hi gagan0303,

We don't want a comma there, because that who is used to specify exactly which slaves the author is referring to.

1. ... setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property. ← This is like "He set free the slaves who were considered his property".

2. ... setting free the more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered his property. ← This is like "He set free the slaves".

Because the information introduced by this who is essential, we don't want to use a comma in between this who and the noun that it refers to.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts