GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 09:48
Thanks Ajitesh. As requested, it would help if you can cite an example where GMAT is fine with this usage. Will help me clarify this ambiguity.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 03:18
AjiteshArun wrote:
I'm not saying that the GMAT is fine with it. I'm just saying that we don't have reliable evidence to the contrary, that the GMAT is definitely not fine with it (for example, the company that made this particular question does not make questions for the GMAT anymore).

If the standard/quality/appropriateness of GMAT questions varies with the company that "currently" makes questions for GMAT, this is really unfortunate.

Also, this is brilliant information for me Sir. So, GMAT actually "outsources" the question preparation? Wow. Which was this company and which company now makes questions for GMAT?
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 03:37
malavika1 wrote:
If the standard/quality/appropriateness of GMAT questions varies with the company that "currently" makes questions for GMAT, this is really unfortunate.

Also, this is brilliant information for me Sir. So, GMAT actually "outsources" the question preparation? Wow. Which was this company and which company now makes questions for GMAT?
ETS used to make GMAT questions. Now GMAT questions are made by ACT. I actually asked some senior people at the GMAC, and they said that they stand by all GMAT questions (even the ETS questions). But in some cases we can clearly see explanations in the OG changing. I don't think that's a bad thing. Language evolves, and so too must GMAT questions.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 10:56
Interesting. What is ACT?

I tried searching on Google and could not find any reference.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 10:58
AjiteshArun wrote:
I'm just saying that we don't have reliable evidence to the contrary, that the GMAT is definitely not fine with it

Hello Sir, in terms of GMAT, what exactly would be considered a reliable evidence?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 15:07
In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipa¬tion, setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.
(A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered
(B) setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as
(C) and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as
(D) and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered
(E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as

'Considered as' is unidiomatic, so we eliminate B,C and E.

In D the usage of article 'The' before the slaves means that he had more than 500 slaves and only 500 were leagally his property while the rest were illeagal.,it is change in meaning so elimiate D

A is the correct choice.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 03:25
AjiteshArun wrote:
malavika1 wrote:
Ajitesh, I have an idiom list which mentions that "consider as" is not correct.

Can you cite an example where GMAT is fine with this usage? Will help me clarify this ambiguity.
The thinking behind that particular entry in your idiom list is flawed. Consider as is standard and is very much in use, even if it is (perhaps) not as common, or as concise, as consider X Y (where X and Y are both nouns). However, it remains a stretch to say that the as will always be incorrect.

Whether this affects you or not is debatable, but what is not debatable is that the GMAT has exploited such incorrect classifications in the past by making questions in which the correct option uses a supposedly unidiomatic structure.

Hi AjiteshArun, Utkarsh from Jamboree Classes. I have a doubt, Is it correct to use 'the' before 'more than' as used in option A?
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 07:29
utkarshthapak wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun, Utkarsh from Jamboree Classes. I have a doubt, Is it correct to use 'the' before 'more than' as used in option A?
Hi Utkarsh, yes it is. Look at it this way:

The people
The 110 people (just specifying the number)
The (>100) people (maybe we don't know the exact number, or that level of precision is unnecessary)
The (more than hundred) people (putting it in words)
The more than hundred people

Here is a similar sentence from a recent NYT article:
Quote:
Employees like Dolan, who work the phones, start at $14 an hour, about a dollar less than the median wage earned by the more than 2.5 million Americans who work as customer-service representatives.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 01:18
ugimba wrote:
349. In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipation, setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.

(A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered
(B) setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as
(C) and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as
(D) and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered
(E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as

First of all ..."setting free ....." is a verb-ing modifier describing how Mr Carter "stunned" (verb) his family and friends..
So we need "setting free" as it is ...
Hence, option C, D and E are out..

Next, the noun here is "the more than 500 slaves" - a noun phrase..
There is a difference between "the more than 500 slaves" and "more than the 500 slaves"
First phrase means : Carter released all the slaves which were more than 500 in numbers...
Second phrase means : Carter released some more than 500 slaves - this does NOT mean he released all of them ...it may be a minor fraction of all or may be 80% of all ..etc .etc ...

Hence, option B changes the meaning of hte sentence..
Option A is correct

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 05:01
Why is considered as wrong? In this particular scenario?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 12:32
In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in Virginia, stunned his family, friends, and neighbors by filing a deed of emancipation, setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered his property.

(A) setting free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered -Correct
(B) setting free more than the 500 slaves legally considered as -considered as is wrong idiom
(C) and set free more than 500 slaves, who were legally considered as -not parallel; incorrect idiom
(D) and set free more than the 500 slaves who were legally considered - not parallel
(E) and he set free the more than 500 slaves who were legally considered as -incorrect idiom

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 12:33
Prashant10692 wrote:
Why is considered as wrong? In this particular scenario?

Hi,

Its a wrong idiom. Correct idiom is "considered" --no "as", no "to be"; just "considered".

For details refer SC book by MGMAT.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Re: In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2017, 12:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

In 1791 Robert Carter III, one of the wealthiest plantation owners in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap