Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [42]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [14]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.97
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [6]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [4]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase [#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="mniyer"]Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska was not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, which provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

(A) not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, which provided
(B) not unlike the Louisiana territory, which provided
(C) like the Louisiana territory, which provided
(D) like that of the Louisiana territory for providing
(E) as that of the Louisiana territory for providing

(A)Correct not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, which provided. Here comparison is 100% correct that of ...... In that " that is referring to purchase.
(B)Incorrect not unlike the Louisiana territory, which provided. here purchase is compared with Louisiana territory and is wrong
(C) Incorrect like the Louisiana territory, which provided. here purchase is compared with Louisiana territory and is wrong. we need to compare purchase with another purchase.
(D)Incorrect like that of the Louisiana territory for providing. for providing. because purchase was not made for providing.....
(E Incorrect as that of the Louisiana territory for providing. as is wrong and for providing is wrong for the reason stated in option D.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
s8kadian wrote:
can someone please explain the use of 'which' here

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska was not unlike that (purchase) of the Louisiana territory, which provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

Here, which refers to the purchase of the Louisiana territory. Whenever a noun is followed by a prepositional phrase, which can jump over the prepositional phrase (of the Louisiana territory) and refer to the noun (purchase).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
2asc wrote:
What does 'which' refer to? I feel like it is the purchase that gave the US land, not the territory. Also, the land cannot give US control of the river, but the purchase can.

Assuming that which is referred to the purchase, can someone please confirm that the touch rule does not apply when the noun is followed by prepositional phrase?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "touch rule", but there is no rule in English that restricts what a relative pronoun can refer to in situations like this one. For example:

The last goal of the match, which...

1. The last goal of the match, which had gone into overtime...
2. The last goal of the match, which was scored by...

Both (1) and (2) are acceptable.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
2asc wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
2asc wrote:
What does 'which' refer to? I feel like it is the purchase that gave the US land, not the territory. Also, the land cannot give US control of the river, but the purchase can.

Assuming that which is referred to the purchase, can someone please confirm that the touch rule does not apply when the noun is followed by prepositional phrase?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "touch rule", but there is no rule in English that restricts what a relative pronoun can refer to in situations like this one. For example:

The last goal of the match, which...

1. The last goal of the match, which had gone into overtime...
2. The last goal of the match, which was scored by...

Both (1) and (2) are acceptable.

Doesn't which usually refer to the word right before the comma? If both cases are correct, how do we decipher if both examples you gave are in the options?
From my understanding of OA of this question, if the structure of the sentence is noun + prepositional, 'which' will reference the noun before the prepositional, and not the noun within the prepositional. Are you sure the two are interchangeable?
Thanks for your help!

"which provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley." is a noun modifier modifying "that (purchase)".
The noun modifier NEED NOT modify the noun right before it. It can modify a main noun before the noun of the propositional phrase.

Note that Louisiana territory did not provide new land etc. The "purchase" provided new land etc. But you need to specify the purchase so it is essential to say "purchase of Louisiana territory". The which modifier will come after that though it refers to purchase. So you may want to have the modifier sticking to the noun but it may not always be possible. It is acceptable for it to be a bit away.

Look at the logic of the sentence to see what makes sense. There are not many non-negotiable "rules" and hence we always look for the "best option".
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase [#permalink]
Kudos
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY DmitryFarber IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepBrian,

Q1. In choice D., what's wrong with "for providing" ?

Q2. In choice A., why isn't there ambiguity what "which" refers to?
IMO, "which" can refer to "that" or the "Louisiana territory"
Here, the closest noun of the right type to fit the relative pronoun is "Louisiana territory".

Second question first: "which" refers to the closest noun of the right type, which is "the Louisiana territory." This is totally unambiguous and therefore fine. The territory DID do all of those things described by the subsequent modifier. (It's purchase did too, and they're almost one and the same in this regard, so it would sort of be fine either way; there would be no meaningful ambiguity even if the relative pronoun were not totally fixed on the territory.)

First question second: "for providing" uses a prepositional phrase to create the modifier (with "for"). Prepositional phrases are flexible modifiers, so this does not have to modify "the Louisiana territory," and in fact it appears, as I see it, to describe the comparison. "[This thing] was like [that thing] for..." seems to be trying to tell me how the two things were alike. But of course the modifier that follows does not correctly describe the comparison -- the purchase of Alaska did not provide the United States with "control of the entire Mississippi River valley." And this is true even if you know nothing of geography (the Mississippi River goes nowhere near Alaska), because it would be quite implausible for both purchases to provide "control of the entire Mississippi River valley." After all, if you got control from the first purchase, you would already have had control when you made the second purchase, and it would not make sense for the second purchase to provide that same control that you already have. So the modifier is illogical, whether you know anything about geography or not.

Originally posted by AnthonyRitz on 01 Mar 2020, 12:51.
Last edited by AnthonyRitz on 25 Aug 2021, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Konstantin1983 wrote:
I wonder whether "not unlike" is a common usage in English

I don't know if it's exactly "common," but at least it's... not uncommon. :tongue_opt3 Basically, it pops up from time to time. There are 27.7 million Google search results for "not unlike." (And 46.3 million more for "not uncommon." And so forth.)

The bigger point is that we aren't meant to know. We're just meant to recognize that it's none of our business, and then avoid that decision entirely.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
Does "not unlike" create redundancy?? any help?

Posted from my mobile device

Not redundancy, it is double negative, which is alright. Redundancy refers to unrequired word or phrase - here if one of the negatives ("not" or "un") is not used, then the meaning is changed. Hence this is not a case of redundancy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Manoj1998

Here like is followed by a pronoun phrase: that of X (that is a pronoun here).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
"not unlike" has its own meaning, so cannot be substituted. Only A fits, B is out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, broall, hazelnut, Vyshak, generis

can someone please explain the use of 'which' here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
daboo343 wrote:
mniyer wrote:
Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska was not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, which provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

(A)Correct not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, which provided. Here comparison is 100% correct that of ...... In that " that is referring to purchase.
(B)Incorrect not unlike the Louisiana territory, which provided. here purchase is compared with Louisiana territory and is wrong
(C) Incorrect like the Louisiana territory, which provided. here purchase is compared with Louisiana territory and is wrong. we need to compare purchase with another purchase.
(D)Incorrect like that of the Louisiana territory for providing. for providing. because purchase was not made for providing.....
(E Incorrect as that of the Louisiana territory for providing. as is wrong and for providing is wrong for the reason stated in option D.

Shouldn't "which" go right after the word "that" or "purchase"? Because it looks like Louisiana territory itself provided for the United States.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi archie1stnorth,

Thank you for your question. Re-positioning the word "which" will change the meaning of the sentence, specifically what the phrase "provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley" is referring to.

Here is how it's written in the original answer:

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska was not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, which provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

In this case, the phrase is referring to the Louisiana Territory, which exists along the Mississippi River valley, so it's CORRECT.

Here is how I think you're suggesting it could be changed:

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska, which was not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

Now, the phrase is referring back to the purchase of Alaska, and that doesn't make sense - Alaska isn't located alone the Mississippi River valley!

I hope that helps clear things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hi archie1stnorth,

Thank you for your question. Re-positioning the word "which" will change the meaning of the sentence, specifically what the phrase "provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley" is referring to.

Here is how it's written in the original answer:

In this case, the phrase is referring to the Louisiana Territory, which exists along the Mississippi River valley, so it's CORRECT.

Here is how I think you're suggesting it could be changed:

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska, which was not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

Now, the phrase is referring back to the purchase of Alaska, and that doesn't make sense - Alaska isn't located alone the Mississippi River valley!

I hope that helps clear things up!

Hello, dear Expert.

Thank you for your answer. I am sorry for being not clear enough. I will try to explain my thoughts better.

You mentioned:

EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

But the question doesn't ask what exists along the Mississippi River Valley.

What it actually asks is: What provided the United States with new land etc...?
The answer to this question, IMHO, should be the purchase, not the Louisiana territory itself.

And here how i think it could be changed:

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase of Alaska was not unlike that of the Louisiana territory, providing the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

Again, thank you for your time!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
This option got its comparison correct. Lets hold on to this option for now.

We are not comparing the purchase of alaska to louisiana territory - Incorrect

Again the purchase of alaska is compared to that of louisiana. Incorrect

Purchase was not done for providing the united states. Incorrect.

Purchase of louisiana was as - Incorrect

Answer: Option A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
techiesam wrote:

Not redundancy, it is double negative, which is alright. Redundancy refers to unrequired word or phrase - here if one of the negatives ("not" or "un") is not used, then the meaning is changed. Hence this is not a case of redundancy.

sayantanc2k , abhimahna

I read in GMAT club grammar book(Pg 85) :

In English, double negatives must be avoided. It is incorrect to use two negatives in the same sentence clause.
Example:
INCORRECT
I don’t have no money.
CORRECT
I don’t have any money. OR I have no money.

That was the reason why I eliminated A. Could you please shed some light on this?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts