Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Humanitiesx   Long Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [89]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [64]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [47]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [35]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Two recent publications offer different assessments of the career of t [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pr90 wrote:
Can someone please explain the strategy to answer question 6 here?

6. Which of the following is an assumption underlying the author's assessment of Nightingale's creativity?
Original:
(A) Educational philosophy in Nightingale's day did not normally emphasize developing children's ability to observe.
(B) Nightingale was the first to notice the poor living conditions in British military barracks in peacetime.
(C) No educator before Nightingale had thought to enlist the help of village schoolmasters in introducing new teaching techniques.
(D) Until Nightingale began her work, there was no concept of organized help for the needy in nineteenth-century Britain.
(E) The British army's medical services had no cost- accounting system until Nightingale devised one in the 1860's.

Hi PR90, there are some good questions in this passage. Since you specifically asked for question 6, let's review how to attack assumption questions. The best strategy is to employ the Assumption Negation Technique, whereby you negate the stated assumptions and discover which cause the entire argument to fall down. If the argument still stands, then the assumption wasn't necessary. This is the best way to evaluate assumptions that all seem reasonable at first glance.

Negated:
A) Educational philosophy in Nightingale's day DID normally emphasize developing children's ability to observe: Negated, this destroys the entire premise that Nightingale had a heightened sense of creativity. In effect, every child already was subjected to what Nightingale proposed, hence her creativity was somewhere between bland and non-existant.
B) Nightingale was NOT the first to notice the poor living conditions in British military barracks in peacetime: Others had noticed before, but no one did anything. Argument still stands.
C) SOME educators before Nightingale had thought to enlist the help of village schoolmasters in introducing new teaching techniques: Some people already had done this, but what techniques? Same as Nightingale? Different techniques? Could easily be true and the argument holds.
D) Until Nightingale began her work, there WAS already the concept of organized help for the needy in ninteenth century Britain: There was a concept but Nightingale expanded upon it, argument still holds.
E) The British army's medical services had AN cost-accounting system until Nightingale designed one in 1860s: They had one, but Nightingale's was better. Same concept as D.

Once you negate all the options, it becomes clear that only A is required for Nightingale's creativity to be praised. The others could be false and her creativity could still be highly lauded. In assumption questions, the wording used can often be more important than how much the assumption strengthens the text. You're looking for the necessary assumption, not the strongest.
Hope this helps!
-Ron

Originally posted by VeritasPrepRon on 13 Mar 2013, 08:42.
Last edited by VeritasPrepRon on 13 Mar 2013, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Two recent publications offer different assessments of the career of t [#permalink]
Hi everybody here,

Could anyone explain why in question 5: With which of the following statements regarding the differing interpretations of Nightingale's importance would the author most likely agree?

(C) Although Summers' account of Nightingale's role in the Crimean War may be accurate, she ignored evidence of Nightingale's subsequent achievement that suggests that her reputation as an eminent social reformer is well deserved.

where does the author mentioned that Summer's account of Nightingale's role in the Crimean War may be accurate ?

Thx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Ron

Thanks for the reply!
I selected the answer as E. My logic was the following:
The paragraph starts with "I believe that the evidence of her letters supports continued respect for Nightingale's brilliance and creativity."
So the creativity that the author mentions should be due to something mentioned in the letters. And the last point in the previous paragraph about the letters was about the cost accounting system. Also its not given anywhere that they had a cost accounting system before Nightingale devised one.

Can you explain why this logic may be faulty?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [5]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pr90 wrote:
Ron

Thanks for the reply!
I selected the answer as E. My logic was the following:
The paragraph starts with "I believe that the evidence of her letters supports continued respect for Nightingale's brilliance and creativity."
So the creativity that the author mentions should be due to something mentioned in the letters. And the last point in the previous paragraph about the letters was about the cost accounting system. Also its not given anywhere that they had a cost accounting system before Nightingale devised one.

Can you explain why this logic may be faulty?

Hey PR90, sure thing! The reason is that the assumption can be false, and Nightingale's creativity is still fantastic. The assumption is that they had no cost-accounting system before 1860, in which case Nightingale helped them out tremendously by designing one for them. Conversely, though, they could have already had such a system, but it was terrible. Imagine they had a system which assigned a snail for every soldier injured, and used an abacus to keep track of money owed. Then anytime someone came in, they could move the numbers on the abacus and everyone would lose track of the accounting process. Or the snails could just sneak away when no one is looking. If such a terrible system were in place, then Nightingale's revolutionary ideas of "using a pen and paper" and whatever other wizardry she came up with would make her seem like a genius by comparison.

In essence, it isn't necessary that NO system existed before Nightingale's input, only that the system was inefficient. (I mean, snails? Who does that!?) Don't let the placement of the information in the text sway your decision, it's not where the information is placed in the text, it's how it related to the overall point.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: INSEAD '14
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Ranjith,

Read the last paragraph again, the author beings by stating her personal opinion... "I believe that the evidence of her letters........."
Given this fact we cannot conclude that the author is trying to summarize the arguments from the first 2 passages.
Hope this clarifies.

Hi Rock750,

The answer option that you have a doubt on starts with - "Although".
In my opinion "although" in this context means that "even if Summers interpretations of Nightingales work was accurate, the author believes that Nightingale has not been credited enough by Summers for the good innovative/creative work stated in paragraphs 2 and 3. :-D

Hope this addresses your thoughts.

Regards,
Chechaxo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rock750,
Read the last line of the passage

In sum, although Nightingale [color=#ff0000]may not have achieved all other goals during the Crimean War, her breadth of vision and ability to realize ambitious projects have earned her an eminent place among the ranks of social pioneers.[/color]

These lines are Author's conclusion. Author has not taken any stance on the Summer's book, before these lines, but Author is positive about the Nightingale's subsequent role, refer to first line of last passage.

I believe that the evidence of her letters supports continued respect for Nightingale's brilliance and creativity.

Now, think why author has said that Nightingale may not have achieved all other goals during the Crimean War, it must be the case that author do acknowledge that Summer book is also valid somewhere . Remember Summers book talk about Crimean War. you also need to hold tone as well. Its a Mild Tone, and hence answer choice should replicate that as well.

Check Choice A, its too strong tone. the choice is wrong for other obvious reasons as well.

Choice C replicates both Tone and Content of the passage.
Thanks

Rock750 wrote:
Hi everybody here,

Could anyone explain why in question 5: With which of the following statements regarding the differing interpretations of Nightingale's importance would the author most likely agree?

(C) Although Summers' account of Nightingale's role in the Crimean War may be accurate, she ignored evidence of Nightingale's subsequent achievement that suggests that her reputation as an eminent social reformer is well deserved.

where does the author mentioned that Summer's account of Nightingale's role in the Crimean War may be accurate ?

Thx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Complete Question is discussed at the below mentioned link
two-recent-publications-offer-different-assessments-of-the-146026.html

Two recent publications offer different assessments of the career of the famous British nurse Florence Nightingale. A book by Anne Summers seeks to debunk the idealizations and present a reality at odds with Nightingale's heroic reputation. According to Summers Nightingale's importance during the Crimean War has been exaggerated: not until near the war's end did she become supervisor of the female nurses. Additionally, Summers writes that the contribution of the nurses to the relief of the wounded was at best marginal. The prevailing problems of military medicine were caused by army organizational practices, and the addition of a few nurses to the medical staff could be no more than symbolic. Nightingale's place in the national pantheon, Summers asserts, is largely due to the propagandistic efforts of contemporary newspaper reporters.

By contrast, the editors of a new volume of Nightingale's letters view Nightingale as a person who significantly influenced not only her own age but also subsequent generations. They highlight her ongoing efforts to reform sanitary conditions after the war. For example, when she learned that peacetime living conditions in British barracks were so horrible that the death rate of enlisted men far exceeded that of neighboring civilian populations, she succeeded in persuading the government to establish a Royal Commission on the Health of the Army. She used sums raised through public contributions to found a nurses' training hospital in London. Even in administrative matters, the editors assert her practical intelligence was formidable: as recently as 1947 the British Army's medical services were still using the cost-accounting system she had devised in the 1860's.

I believe that the evidence of her letters supports continued respect for Nightingale's brilliance and creativity. When counseling a village schoolmaster to encourage children to use their faculties of observation she sounds like a modern educator. Her insistence on classifying the problems of the needy in order to devise appropriate treatments is similar to the approach of modern social workers. In sum, although Nightingale may not have achieved all other goals during the Crimean War, her breadth of vision and ability to realize ambitious projects have earned her an eminent place among the ranks of social pioneers

In the last paragraph, the author is primarily concerned with...
A. Summarizing...
B. Refuting...
C. Analyzing...
D. Citing...
E. Correcting...

The answer is D. Citing...Can you please explain where the citation is?

My understanding of citing is to quote an authority to support an opinion. I see opinions and statements in the final paragraph, but I do not see a single supportive quote or reference. I was confident D. Citing... cannot be the answer!

GMATPrep's explanation is that the author cites Nightingale's letters. I see a reference to those letters, but a reference does not automatically qualify as a citation. For example, in which of her historic letters does Nightingale describe herself as being like a future educator? Clearly I do not currently agree with the answer, but I would really like to. Can someone please flesh out the explanation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thanks for adding bold to the appropriate text. I have put some thought to this and have 2 new questions:

There is no citation when looking at Paragraph 3 on its own. For example, "I believe that I'm always right, and this post proves it", contains a reference without a citation. You can say it is an absurd statement without me being offended, but unfortunately, I think my example matches the academic quality of Paragraph 3 in isolation. If we accept that a dead-end reference is sufficient:

1. In the context of GMAT, can we always assume that "reference" is synonymous with "citation"?

I have identified an alternative lead; there is a stronger reference in Paragraph 2 to "the editors". Those editors are an authority on Nightingale's Letters and their insight can be used to qualify an author's opinion. I assume their authority could be inherited in Paragraph 3 with an implied cross-reference, which is an improvement on blunt opinions in isolation. However, the author has not quoted those editors, so there is still no citation.

2. When a GMAT question specifies one paragraph, can we always inherit qualifications from other paragraphs in the same passage?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
grakesh wrote:
Can someone explain the question 5.

Grakesh, the question "With which of the following statements regarding the differing interpretations of Nightingale's importance would the author most likely agree?" basically asks of the two different opinions shared about nightingale's importance, what would be the opinion the author would most agree with.

If we carefully read the 3rd paragraph we see that the author clearly accepts N's importance (read: I believe that the evidence of her letters supports continued respect for Nightingale's ). However, the author does not present anything to refute Summer's claim (read: although Nightingale may not have achieved all other goals during the Crimean War), he just feels that N's work after the war is also sufficient to sustain her historic importance - Exactly what is said in the answer option C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [3]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos