Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 18:12 It is currently 06 May 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Olin '16 (A$)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
akun08 wrote:
Hi.. I got an admit as well... with 50% scholarship.. from India..

740 Gmat/ 6.5 years of IT consulting exp/ interested in Tech strategy consulting post MBA. Marshall and Foster are the only two schools I applied to.. Got admits from both, but so far only Marshall has rolled out its scholarship offer to me.

I did not aplpy to other schools because I decided to give it a shot this year only during round 2 was not confident of getting an admit from top 15-20 schools having missed thier round 1 already.

I need help.. I think I am capable of making it to better schools in the top 15 list ex: Ross, UCLA, Darden,etc.

This is not the first time I applied to MBA . This is my third attempt. Everytime I missed the Round 1 deadline for B-schools because of improper planning and nick of time preparations.
I think that is the reason that I only managed to get waitlisted at McCombs in my past attempts.
Another factor that I see affecting my candidacy is lack of significant international work experience (only half a year) and that I dont have a masters degree already. Darden told me these points in their feedback couple of years back and I guess the same could apply to other schools as well.

I am wondering if I should simply join Marshall this year or whether I could probably give better ranked univs a shot this year with good preparation. There is no doubt that Marshall with its Trojan Ntwork is a great place to study - ofcourse leaving out its recent slippage in rankings which is a temporary thing.

But like I said, I am more keen to have a better brand on my resume. Do you think it would make sense to wait and apply to UCLA etc next year? Do you think given my profile and my post MBA plans, having an MBA from a better brand univ would help me?

Would appreciate feedback and suggestions from you all in this regard.

Again let me preface this by saying I'm no expert - just someone who has done a fair amount of research on the admissions process and someone who has looking at several of the schools you brought up.

I think you should be careful and considerate of the number of years of work experience you have. There seems to be a fine line in regards to the years of experience schools appear to like. Interestingly I found myself more attracted to fit than I did rankings AFTER I applied. LinkedIn was also an interesting thing to look at in regards to the success and trajectories students of any school have had in the professional world.

If you're really in love with a particular program perhaps then decide to not give up. Round 2 really isn't a significantly harder round (and in many places is explicitly said to NOT be a tougher round) than the first. Keep that in mind. All together I have a growing affinity for Marshall and am optimistic of their potential in coming years.

Take some time to assess your feelings for Marshall. I found it to be a great fit for myself - but you'll need to think carefully about your feelings towards the program. Business school is too big an investment of time and money to "settle." I'd say if you feel good about Marshall it's a pretty great place to be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V164
Send PM
You are an Indian with a typical Indian career background. The single most over represented demographic.

Go. You aren't competing strictly on the basis of grades.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
TechWithNoExp wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:
joelfromschool wrote:
I just got my binder today :) I'm in Seattle.

USC was the only one that offered me a fellowship, which is going to make this a difficult choice since I like both schools. I'll probably be at A-Days at UCLA before I make my final decision. Maybe I'll see you there!

Good luck to everyone!

Was very torn between Anderson and Marshall going in to application season but found Marshall to be a much better fit for me. I'd love to see the school return to being ranked where it belongs (seriously feel like this year was a fluke) and I think it's certainly possible. Fit is now the defining principle by which I'm making my decision and considering that, USC all the way.

People had asked about my Anderson experience (and why it was so awful) and I was sure to spell it out fairly on that thread.

Marshall on the other has been incredibly welcoming. I knew immediately during my class visit that the element of being collaborative and supportive of one another (something you'll always hear about EVERYWHERE) was a true reality here. The Trojan network is indeed real and I was happy to see it in action when applying.

And to be totally honest - in terms of a long term investment, USC makes a lot of sense. It is far from complacent with it's rise over the past 2 decades and has its best years ahead of itself. This is a school that transformed itself with the leverage of dedicated alumni, huge donations, and a city that respects it. In regards to university wide progress - SC by far is one of the biggest success stories in recent time. I think its positioned itself well to continue climbing the ranks in every sense.

This was also the ONLY program I found to actually care about being an integrated part of their community. There's no sense of ivory tower syndrome here and embracing actual community diversity was refreshing. Try and find a community that is happy to have a school located in it. Not too easy.

My metrics for choosing a program have changed and I'll 99.9999% be matriculating at SC over a pair of top 10 school's and Anderson. This is based off of (in order for me) finding the best fit, good West Coast placement, a strong network, and finally rankings.

For those making the LA decision, I hope you discover what matters most now that you have a great pair of options. It's tough being real with yourself and eliminating the elitism that is ingrained with the MBA process. When I was finally real with myself I found my answer.

All that is great. But I have been looking over the Employment statistics. If I want to work at say Google or Apple USC won't put me in that position. UCLA on the other hand will allow me that opportunity. Was this not part of your consideration? or are you looking to be only in LA. Because I get a feeling that Marshall is a LA placement school.
Another thing that I think someone mentioned was the whole admissions process. USC's site was outdated I could have sworn I had the wrong site the first time I went into the application. It felt really strange after seeing so many nice and up to date sites.
I am also trying to decide between USC ($$) and UCLA. So any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm turning down USC (full ride) for UCLA (>50%). I had the same feelings as you regarding the admissions process - the site was pretty awful compared to other schools, the interview scheduling was also kind of a mess, and I was not impressed during my interview. Some may say that I'm the one that's supposed to be impressing the interviewer, but I think it goes both ways. A first year interviewed me, and was unable to answer some of my questions as he hadn't gone through his internship or PRIME. It was just strange to me that they would have first years conducting interviews. I was on a plane when they called to tell me I had been admitted, and the voicemail was also very strange. It didn't sound like the caller knew what she was talking about (saying that they need official transcripts from my undergrad university and the "other" university I attended...I only attended one university, so...). Unfortunately, the whole experience came off as unprofessional and unorganized.

I also share the same concerns with employment opportunities. I work in the LA area and my company recruits at Marshall (and Anderson), but having spoken with the people doing the recruiting/interviewing for my group, they haven't been very impressed with Marshall candidates the past couple of years. I realize this is just one data point and is not necessarily indicative of employment opportunities as a whole, but I can't say it hasn't had any influence on my decision.

In terms of fit, I had a better experience with people at Anderson. However, interactions are a case by case thing, maybe it would've been different had I talked with different people at each school!

If you're looking for a super strong SoCal network, the Trojan network is powerful! If you're trying to minimize your debt, $$ is better than no $$. I can see arguments for/against both schools, but it's not a bad situation to be in! Good luck with your decision!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
Is anyone seeing any movement on the waitlist?>??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
E-mail from James Ellis, Dean to all students:

It is my pleasure to announce that Steven A. Ballmer will be our commencement speaker for the USC Marshall Graduate Commencement Ceremony on May 16, 2014.

Prior to his recent retirement, Mr. Ballmer was the Chief Executive Officer of Microsoft Corporation. Mr. Ballmer joined Microsoft in June 1980 and became Microsoft’s 30th employee, the first business manager hired by Bill Gates. In the 20 years following his hire, Ballmer headed several Microsoft Divisions, including operations, operating systems development and sales and support. In 1998, he was promoted to President, working even more closely with Chairman and CEO, Bill Gates.

Mr. Ballmer was officially named CEO in January 2000. Under his tenure as CEO, Microsoft’s annual revenue surged from $25 billion to $70 billion and profits doubled. He also built several new divisions of Microsoft such as the data centers division, the Xbox entertainment and devices division and he also oversaw the acquisition of Skype.

Ballmer grew up near Detroit where his father worked as a manager at Ford Motor Company. He earned a bachelor’s degree in applied mathematics and economics from Harvard University and later attended Stanford University Graduate School of Business. Mr. Ballmer married Connie Snyder in 1990 and together they have three sons.

We look forward to seeing you at the USC Marshall Graduate Commencement Ceremony.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Pretty impressive, although not as crazy as UCI who is getting President Obama. Fight on!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Heard Steve Ballmer's daughter is an undergrad student at USC. Might be a good deal to seek her out on campus and marry rich :P
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's pretty astounding the people you find on campus at SC.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting are conducting a webinar for the applicants got dinged this year. This is your opportunity to get expert guidance and build a smart strategy for the next application round/season. Webinar will be conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session - this is your opportunity to ask your specific questions.

One lucky attendee will get the opportunity to have his/her (dinged) profile evaluated by Jon Frank during the session. If you'd like to be chosen for this opportunity, please email info@admissionado.com with the subject line "GMAT Club Webinar - Choose me!". Please include your name, nationality, age, GMAT score and a list of schools where you were dinged. And please also attach your essays + resume + LORs from one of your applications. Winner will be notified via email on April 16th!

Here are the details of Webinar

Title :- Dealing with a Ding
Day & Date :- Thursday, April 17, 2014
Time :- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
NOTE :- There are only 100 spots available, so sign up early!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Just accepted into the IBEAR program - any others here?

I didn't get a call, just the email pointing me towards the site; I've had no communication outside of that, so would I know receive this pack in the mail?
I think a call to adcom might be in order.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Is anyone planning to attend Admit Weekend from out of town? If so, feel free to shoot me a PM and maybe we can share tips on accommodations/where to stay, etc! Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone else visit for admit weekend?

Sealed the deal for me as I'm sure it did for many. Very impressive should any admits have missed it and this is my 3rd one to visit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
christinemmx86 wrote:

Sealed the deal for me as I'm sure it did for many. Very impressive should any admits have missed it and this is my 3rd one to visit.

Hi christinemmx86,

I was there too. Very impressed by the enthusiasm I saw for USC. This was my first admit weekends. You weren't impressed by the other ones you went to?

-Jack
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jackanatic wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:

Hi christinemmx86,

I was there too. Very impressed by the enthusiasm I saw for USC. This was my first admit weekends. You weren't impressed by the other ones you went to?

-Jack

Yes USC felt very different.

Programming was the same essentially across the weekends I attended. However the energy and caliber in the first year students and admits was at a different level at SC. I felt like the group was extremely social and personable - pretty useful things when networking is a large part of your b school investment.

That isn't to say there weren't intelligent and social people at the other programs I visited - I just didn't feel the same camaraderie there as I did at USC. Statistically the incoming class is on par with any top 20 program and I felt it especially during the case discussion. At other schools I wasn't as impressed by the abilities of students to articulate their thoughts or found some very strong and overbearing personalities. I think you get plenty of good and plenty of bad as you approach names with elite connotations but felt a sense of humbleness and humility in the people I met at USC. Many had some impressive names under their belt. When I shared my options at the other admit weekends people would immediately say things like, "You got in there? Why are you even here?" Which I totally understand. But interestingly at USC I wouldn't get the same confusion as people really seemed to be at SC for the fit and the vibe of the campus. Many people seemed to be coming to SC for its culture and that's not something you truly see elsewhere. Instead you run into people settling on their numerically best option. I will also add that in terms of prestige and quality I heard many more respected names of undergrad schools from admits here than I did at 2 of my visits (Cornell or Georgetown).

I also found the administration to be very personable here. What were your thoughts and how is your decision process coming along?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
christinemmx86 wrote:

Yes USC felt very different.

Programming was the same essentially across the weekends I attended. However the energy and caliber in the first year students and admits was at a different level at SC. I felt like the group was extremely social and personable - pretty useful things when networking is a large part of your b school investment.

That isn't to say there weren't intelligent and social people at the other programs I visited - I just didn't feel the same camaraderie there as I did at USC. Statistically the incoming class is on par with any top 20 program and I felt it especially during the case discussion. At other schools I wasn't as impressed by the abilities of students to articulate their thoughts or found some very strong and overbearing personalities. I think you get plenty of good and plenty of bad as you approach names with elite connotations but felt a sense of humbleness and humility in the people I met at USC. Many had some impressive names under their belt. When I shared my options at the other admit weekends people would immediately say things like, "You got in there? Why are you even here?" Which I totally understand. But interestingly at USC I wouldn't get the same confusion as people really seemed to be at SC for the fit and the vibe of the campus. Many people seemed to be coming to SC for its culture and that's not something you truly see elsewhere. Instead you run into people settling on their numerically best option. I will also add that in terms of prestige and quality I heard many more respected names of undergrad schools from admits here than I did at 2 of my visits (Cornell or Georgetown).

I also found the administration to be very personable here. What were your thoughts and how is your decision process coming along?

My interest is in working for a major media company. For me, I definitely want to stay in LA, so it really comes down to USC or UCLA. Marshall made a very strong case last weekend and even if I'm admitted off the wait-list at Anderson I would still lean towards USC.

I don't know much about UCLA's culture, so if Anderson is not as enthusiastic and welcoming, that would certainly factor into my decision. I agree with you, I liked the humbleness of the students and faculty at USC. There wasn't much of a holier-than-thou attitude.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
anyone else receive a generic email this evening with the subject line 'USC Decision Letters Will Be Online Soon' ? - how long after that email does it take for the decision to actually be online?

Without an interview or a phone call the chances of admission are very slim, so I can guess what the decision is, but I still feel very anxious to get it after that email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
sv2016 wrote:
anyone else receive a generic email this evening with the subject line 'USC Decision Letters Will Be Online Soon' ? - how long after that email does it take for the decision to actually be online?

Without an interview or a phone call the chances of admission are very slim, so I can guess what the decision is, but I still feel very anxious to get it after that email.

I just got it as well. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with an actual decision, and is just a generic letter sent out to all the grad students applying.

I applied R3 for the JD/MBA program, currently in my first year at USC Law.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts