Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: ISB '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.62
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage market [#permalink]
Kudos
I was having problems with this one: So, I will explain my solution here.

Traditional view: Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns.

Evidence for Traditional view: It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors,

New view: but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable.

Evidence for new view: Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis.

Evidence for new view: Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

If you look at the answer choices, only B stands out as the correct choice. I believe Bold faced questions, I face two main problems: 1) Stop going deep into the argument itself, instead just focus on statements and treat them as premises rather than facts. 2) Don't look at the answer choices before you have a clear structure in mind.

Someone have the OA for this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage market [#permalink]
tuanquang269 wrote:
karthiksms wrote:
Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns. It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors, but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable. Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.
In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?
A. The first provides evidence to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion.
B. The first states the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support that conclusion.
C. The first is the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence against the position being opposed.
D. The first states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.
E. The first and second both state intermediate conclusions that are drawn in order to support jointly the conclusions of the argument as a whole.
Found this on internet. Don't know OA.
My ans is B

The second is definitely the conclusion and. So, we can eliminate choice E, C, B.

Between D and A. Choice D states that the first is the intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the main conclusion. It's wrong because we can use the "therefore" technique after cut over the after-part of the first boldface, we do not have any feelings or logical reasoning for the second to be sub-conclusion.

POE, choice A is the clear correct answer.

I also narrowed it down to A and D but chose D.

Used the same "therefore" test.

Let my voice it out:
1. X should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Therefore, excuse not acceptable. -----> Seems Legit
2. Excuse not acceptable. Therefore, X should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis -----> Nonsensical

Therefore ( :) ) , D seems correct to me.

@tuanquang269 you seem to have used the same method and got a different answer. Can you please explain your answer ( Or better yet, help me understand what I missed )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
it is E

Final conclusion is the last sentence: it is lack of prudent investing

Both are intermediate conclusions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
I'd go for E ... both are intermediate conclusion to draw the main conclusion i.e. it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Main Conclusion that author is trying to convey - Hedge funds has not provided the expected returns.
The bold lines are the sub-conclusions that support the main conclusion.

I would have gone with E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
I think B is correct.The first BF is definitely the main conclusion.By this we can remove the rest of the options.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V35
Send PM
I got E - what is the correct answer?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
What is the correct answer for this one?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
[quote="karthiksms"]Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns. It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors, but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable. Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first provides evidence to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion.

B. The first states the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support that conclusion.

C. The first is the position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides evidence against the position being opposed.

D. The first states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion of the argument as a whole.

E. The first and second both state intermediate conclusions that are drawn in order to support jointly the conclusions of the argument as a whole.

answer please??????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
The summary of the passage is as follows:

Lower than expected returns occurred. Hedge fund managers blame it on the economic downturn. The passage is then constructed to counter the hedge fund managers' reasoning.

Both the boldfaced statements are a part of the argument's effort in countering the hedge fund managers' reasoning. So, these boldfaced statements do not oppose each other in any way. The conclusion is always followed supported with a reason why the conclusion is true. With this key idea in mind, if we take a closer look at the two boldfaced statements, we get to see that the main conclusion actually lies in the first boldfaced statement (main conclusion: this excuse is clearly not acceptable.)

What follows the first boldfaced statement is an explanation or reasoning why the main conclusion (mentioned in the first boldfaced statement) should be considered as true.

Hence, only (B) reflects this school of thought perfectly.

Therefore, (B) is the right answer choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello Experts, Could you please help provide the OA and maybe an OE for this question.

Thanks!

MentorTutoring, GMATNinja, CrackVerbalGMAT, nightblade354, GMATNinjaTwo, egmat, MartyTargetTestPrep, DmitryFarber
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
vmadan10 wrote:
Hello Experts, Could you please help provide the OA and maybe an OE for this question.

Thanks!

MentorTutoring, GMATNinja, CrackVerbalGMAT, nightblade354, GMATNinjaTwo, egmat, MartyTargetTestPrep, DmitryFarber

All right, I will stick my neck out on this one. I will say, first of all, that the source appears to be this article on CR on MBA Crystal Ball. That post predates the one above on this forum by a few weeks. No answer was provided on the blog, so I cannot exactly deliver on providing the OA and OE. However, in the interest of assisting the community, I will offer my thoughts. If nothing else, we may be able to generate more dialogue on a tough question. Since this is a boldface question, we have to be careful not to read just the boldface portions and make a hasty determination. Instead, we need to read the passage as we would any other, looking to understand how each sentence builds off the ideas of another, and how the sentences we need to focus on relate to the passage on the whole. The passage, with the boldface removed:

karthiksms wrote:
Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns. It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors, but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable. Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and therefore, should have provided sufficient cover against the economic crisis. Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

Sentence 1 provides a claim. Hedge Fund managers point to the ongoing economic crisis for delivering lower than expected returns.

Sentence 2 starts with a concession in it is indeed true, but then the line takes a turn at, fittingly enough, but. The author of the passage states that the reasoning of the Hedge Fund managers is clearly not acceptable, since the same market conditions do not apply to regular equity investors and hedge fund investors.

Sentence 3 mentions the intrinsic design of hedge funds to protect against market uncertainties, so this inherent failsafe should have provided sufficient cover against the undesirable outcome of delivering lower than expected returns (from line 1).

Sentence 4 provides a counter-explanation for the development: hedge fund managers, the ones who did the investing, did not invest cautiously enough.

The passage map is simple enough. What do the answer choices have in store, though?

karthiksms wrote:

I will be honest and say that I eliminated this answer choice immediately, as soon as I reached evidence. If I say that a certain behavior is unacceptable, then I am voicing my opinion, not providing evidence. Besides, in the passage, the why behind this excuse is clearly not acceptable comes in the lines that follow. In boldface questions, I like to see if I can clearly eliminate anything in a first pass, sometimes focusing on one boldface portion or the other (i.e. not focusing on both at the same time). Evidence here is a clear red light.

karthiksms wrote:

I have zero reservations here about the role of the second boldface portion. Why is the excuse of the Hedge Fund managers unacceptable? Because of the intrinsic design of hedge funds. The conclusion marker therefore could just as easily be a so (with an appropriate altering of the punctuation). Moreover, this intermediate conclusion that the inherent design of hedge funds should have prevented diminished returns supports the earlier statement that the excuse of the Hedge Fund managers is clearly not acceptable. The only question I have is whether that earlier conclusion is the conclusion of the argument as a whole. I would feel more comfortable if the last sentence of the passage were stitched together with the line that contains the first boldface portion, as in,

It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors, but in the case of hedge funds, this excuse is clearly not acceptable; rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

This is to say that the final line of the passage relates unequivocally to the first boldface portion, as if the thought were broken up across a few lines. In this altered version, would you feel comfortable stating that this excuse is clearly not acceptable is the main conclusion over it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame? I would yellow-light this answer for now and assess the others.

karthiksms wrote:

Again, I did not make it past the first part here. The argument is built from the first boldface portion, so to say that it represents the position that the argument... opposes is the opposite of what we are looking for. After (B), this is a welcome option. Keep moving.

karthiksms wrote:

In this case, the second part is easier to disqualify, in my mind, than the first. I would call this a trap answer for the test-taker who immediately assumes that the presence of therefore toward the end of a passage must mean that whatever follows is the main conclusion. But we cannot ignore the fact that the entire line, sentence 3, serves to qualify the statement made just before, in sentence 2, that this excuse is clearly not acceptable. If sentence 3 provides an answer for How so?, then it cannot be seen as the main conclusion, but as support for some other conclusion instead.

karthiksms wrote:

I cannot deny that the first and second both state conclusions, but whether the first is an intermediate conclusion is debatable, in light of the last line of the passage. I am also uncomfortable with the plurality of conclusions in the latter part of the answer choice. I know it sounds as if I might be making a big deal out of nothing, but if it said conclusion, I would have a harder time going against it. The original question does, in fact, say conclusions, so supposing that the s belongs there at the end, we have to ask ourselves, what are these other conclusions that the argument puts forth? If we remove the boldface conclusions, we are left with the following:

karthiksms wrote:
Hedge Fund managers who have invested in the sub-prime mortgage markets have cited the ongoing economic crisis as reason for delivering lower than expected returns. It is indeed true that the economic crisis has had an adverse impact on regular equity investors... Hedge funds are intrinsically designed to protect against market uncertainties, and... Rather, it is lack of prudent investing that is to blame.

I can support the notion that the line beginning with rather is a conclusion, but if you want to point to anything else and call it such, I will be dumbfounded. In my mind, there is no room for a second conclusion in the non-boldfaced portion of the passage. This answer choice says conclusions. I cannot find them with the boldface portions removed.

Between (B) and (E), for the reasons I have outlined above, I would choose (B) as the answer. I hope that helps the community. I would love to hear other Experts weigh in. At any rate, the question helps us pause for a moment and really consider exactly what the passage and answer choices are saying, and that should prove fruitful in your CR studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts