Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 01:51 It is currently 05 May 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
anupamgupta2112 wrote:

Hi,
From what I understand, you are considered a re-applicant only if you have applied in the last two years(It could be three years. You should be able to check this online in the application). Since it will be 3 years for you, you might not be considered a re-applicant, and it will be up to you whether you want to even mention that you had applied.

I was a re-applicant as well. I applied for Class of 2017, did not get through, and yet got through this year. I think even drastically changing your goals does not affect your chances, it in fact shows that you are willing to course-correct, provided you think your goals in the earlier application were not relevant or achievable. Having said that, there are a lot of factors that make or break the application, as I am sure you have heard a lot. The re-applicant essay is a great way to showcase what you have improved on since you applied last.

Please check whether you will be considered a re-applicant based on their criteria, and only if required, tailor the re-applicant essay to give a better picture about your profile. Think of it as 2 additional pages to write about yourself, and trust me, more space in B-School applications is always a good thing! :D

I hope I answered your question. Feel free to reach out.

Thanks anupamgupta2112 for chipping in. I am sure you must be having a great time at Fuqua!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Reflecting on 2 Years at Fuqua
It’s hard to believe that I’m now a Fuqua alumna. It seems like such a short time ago that I was making the drive down from Rhode Island to North Carolina to start my business school journey.

In the months since graduation, family members, friends, and prospective students have asked me what I thought about my 2 years at Fuqua. Each time I’ve come up with different highlights, but at the root of it all, that time was truly a gift to myself.

Gift of Knowledge
One of the reasons I decided to go back to school was to fill some of the knowledge gaps I felt I had, especially around accounting, marketing, and finance. And while I may not remember all the concepts and cases we learned and discussed, I know that I’ve built a stronger foundation toward understanding business more holistically.

In addition, my experience through the Health Sector Management (HSM) certificate has broadened my view of the health care industry and granted me the opportunity to learn more about medical devices, patient education, and biotechnology, to name a few topics. I love that there is still so much to learn but thankful that Fuqua has helped me discover and develop new interests.

Gift of Experimentation
During our time at Fuqua, as a class we heard from several speakers emphasizing that business school was the time to try and fail at new things while within a safe bubble. I took that to heart and said yes to opportunities that I never thought I would.

One of the biggest highlights for me was serving as vice president of the Graduate and Professional Student Council (GPSC), which is the student government body for Duke’s 9 graduate and professional schools. This was an amazing opportunity to work with many different students and administrators across the broader Duke community while practicing leadership skills we had discussed at Fuqua.

Gift of Community and Family
I vividly remember attending the February 2014 Blue Devil Weekend and sitting in on a student panel. A fellow admitted student asked what ‘Team Fuqua’ meant to each panelist. One student told a story about a section of classmates coming together to put on a baby shower for one of its members. It made me feel like Fuqua wasn’t just a place for academics but a place where people truly care about one another and work together to achieve positive results.

Throughout my 2 years at Fuqua, I can recall so many times when fellow Fuquans came together to celebrate the successes, to brainstorm solutions to problems, and to provide comfort during the lows. I can truly say that I met and found friends for life.

At the end of it all, sometimes it’s difficult to put into words how incredible of an experience business school was beyond the academics and networking. So I’ll close with this. During our Fuqua Reflects photos, my friends and I chose this quote from the wise old bear, Winnie the Pooh: “There are friends, there is family, and then there are friends that become family.”

The video below was created as a “thank you” to alumni who donated to the school, and includes more highlights from Connie’s 2 years at Fuqua:

The post Reflecting on 2 Years at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Keats wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:

Hi,
From what I understand, you are considered a re-applicant only if you have applied in the last two years(It could be three years. You should be able to check this online in the application). Since it will be 3 years for you, you might not be considered a re-applicant, and it will be up to you whether you want to even mention that you had applied.

I was a re-applicant as well. I applied for Class of 2017, did not get through, and yet got through this year. I think even drastically changing your goals does not affect your chances, it in fact shows that you are willing to course-correct, provided you think your goals in the earlier application were not relevant or achievable. Having said that, there are a lot of factors that make or break the application, as I am sure you have heard a lot. The re-applicant essay is a great way to showcase what you have improved on since you applied last.

Please check whether you will be considered a re-applicant based on their criteria, and only if required, tailor the re-applicant essay to give a better picture about your profile. Think of it as 2 additional pages to write about yourself, and trust me, more space in B-School applications is always a good thing! :D

I hope I answered your question. Feel free to reach out.

Thanks anupamgupta2112 for chipping in. I am sure you must be having a great time at Fuqua!

My pleasure Keats Happy to help out! It is fun, but it gets intense really fast, depending on whom you ask. The fact that I am in the Ford Library, between classes, as I type this, should give you a fair idea of the "fun" I am having. :)

All said and done, couldn't be more excited and already looking forward to welcoming a lot of folks next year!
Director
Director
Send PM
Woah anupamgupta2112! We cannot thank you enough for the words of wisdom. Please if you can briefly talk about the orientation you had. Very briefly so that we as future applicants get some idea. Although I have read quite a few blogs on it, I'd love to learn about your take on the Fuqua Orientation :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Keats wrote:
Woah anupamgupta2112! We cannot thank you enough for the words of wisdom. Please if you can briefly talk about the orientation you had. Very briefly so that we as future applicants get some idea. Although I have read quite a few blogs on it, I'd love to learn about your take on the Fuqua Orientation :)

Absolutely. What I am going to do is, on the Ambassador thread, I will post more about my experience here, as I have it. I am hoping to put up a post on Orientation at Fuqua over this weekend, so anyone who wants to follow my journey through the FY can go through the below thread:

ambassador-program-fuqua-hear-from-current-students-alumni-222562.html

I will also try to answer the most commonly asked questions on this thread, and will try to get other FYs or SYs to pitch in, if I can round them up.

Hope this is helpful!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [2]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Fuqua - Admission Trends!

Hi Everyone, I am posting here an analysis of admission trends and acceptance chances at Fuqua based on our accumulated forum data of applicants. We have analysed our forum data of Fuqua applicants from 2012 to 2016 to determine acceptance chances by GMAT score, admission rounds, industry, etc. Since the data used for this analysis is self-reported, it's advised to use findings of this analysis with discretion. They are meant to give only a general idea of admission scenario at Fuqua. Don't presume that these findings will hold true all the time.

We would welcome any comments, opinions, suggestions or anything else that you might have to say about the findings of this analysis.

YOY Acceptance Rate and Avg GMAT of Applicants

• We can see downward trend in YOY rate of acceptance; however, I would not infer too much from the steep decline of 8 percentage points from 2012 to 2014 as our BSchool system, which introduced in 2011, was new at that time and many applicants were not familiar with it. This is evident from the increase in number of applicants from 290 in 2012 to 544 in 2014.
  • Decrease in 6 percentage points from 2015 to 2016 is however a matter of concern. Fuqua's actual admission rate has also fallen from 25% to 23% during the same period.

Sample Size: 2179 Applicants

Acceptance Rate by GMAT Score

• I am quite surprised with this result. It shows that GMAT won't help much in increasing your acceptance chances beyond 700. We did not see such trend in our studies of other schools - ISB, LBS, Columbia, and Consortium.
  • This indicates that a high GMAT score is not necessarily an advantage and other factors of your application i.e. Essays, work experience, recommendations, post MBA goals, resume, etc, are equally important.

Sample Size: 1184 Applicants

Acceptance Rate by Admission Round

Sample Size: 2175 Applicants

Acceptance Rates of Applicants in Different Age Groups

Sample Size: 831 Applicants

Acceptance rates of applicants from various industries

• The first chart - line chart - shows acceptance rates of applicants from various industries and the pie chart next to it shows industry-wise allocation of applicants.

Sample Size: 1015 Applicants

Acceptance Rates of Applicants from Various Regions

Sample Size: 840 Applicants

As I said earlier, we welcome your views, counter-views, suggestions, etc on the analysis. Thank you!
Director
Director
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Keats wrote:

Absolutely. What I am going to do is, on the Ambassador thread, I will post more about my experience here, as I have it. I am hoping to put up a post on Orientation at Fuqua over this weekend, so anyone who wants to follow my journey through the FY can go through the below thread:

I will also try to answer the most commonly asked questions on this thread, and will try to get other FYs or SYs to pitch in, if I can round them up.

Hope this is helpful!

Woah! That ambassador write up by you is awesome. Well, that just makes me love Fuqua more and more! And thank you for accepting our request to attend our questions here on the forum. We are privileged to have you here, anupamgupta2112

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Reserved spot...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Keats wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
Keats wrote:

Hope this is helpful!

Woah! That ambassador write up by you is awesome. Well, that just makes me love Fuqua more and more! And thank you for accepting our request to attend our questions here on the forum. We are privileged to have you here, anupamgupta2112

Cheers

Absolutely my pleasure! Keep the questions coming guys! :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Would anyone like to comment about the Admission Trends at Fuqua? What do you think about them? Tell us here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
After some delay, the post on orientation is up on the ambassador thread.

ambassador-program-fuqua-hear-from-current-students-alumni-222562.html#p1720868

Hope it is useful. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
scheduled my open interview and tour of the campus for mid-Sept. any comments or advice from current students or alums?

also, what's a good hangout spot in Durham to get food and drinks? :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
bkhu wrote:
scheduled my open interview and tour of the campus for mid-Sept. any comments or advice from current students or alums?

also, what's a good hangout spot in Durham to get food and drinks? :-D

I will traveling there early Sept for my open interview so I will let you know!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey guys,
What do you think is the competition and conversion rate in EA round? Is anyone applying sir the EA here?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Duke '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.75
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
sankrityayan wrote:
Hey guys,
What do you think is the competition and conversion rate in EA round? Is anyone applying sir the EA here?

One of the Fuqua interns I worked with this summer told me that her friend got ding'd in EA when she likely would have had a better chance in R1 or R2, regardless of having more time to pump up her app. Lots of unknowns here, so hard to say, but I would imagine that more of the EA applicants have a solid, bulletproof story since they're committing upfront and know that Fuqua is for them.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for that. Going by the information charts posted above on this page, it appears that EA has a lower acceptance rate than R1 and R2. Probably because most applications by this point are a little undercooked.
However, the OP has advised using discretion as the info used on those charts is not validated by Fuqua.

I'm planning to apply in EA but am not sure about my level of prep. Maybe will have to defer to R1

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
Send PM
Does anyone know what the questions for the recommenders look like?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts