Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Congratulations to those who got the admit! I got a waitlist confirmation. Fingers crossed and the waiting begins :-p!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Pardon me if this has already been answered:

I am a R1 applicant but had an open interview. Will my decision come out sooner than those who will have formal interview invites?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
yerda wrote:
Pardon me if this has already been answered:

I am a R1 applicant but had an open interview. Will my decision come out sooner than those who will have formal interview invites?

Thanks.

No. Decisions will be released at the same day (Mid Dec)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations to all EA admits and welcome to Team Fuqua! Excited to get to know you all in the near future and welcome you all at campus next August! Reach out if you have any burning questions, but I would suggest relaxing and partying as much as you can right now!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Looked for an answer but couldn't find anything, do interview invite decisions all get sent out on the same "interview decision notification sent by __" date or do they send out invites on a rolling basis?

I keep nervously checking the online portal about 5 times a day lol.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
Send PM
Ramrod2615 wrote:
Looked for an answer but couldn't find anything, do interview invite decisions all get sent out on the same "interview decision notification sent by __" date or do they send out invites on a rolling basis?

I wouldn't bother. Based on the prior year thread it looks like they updated SISS for interview invites the day of the deadline at like 4:00 PM EST and none beforehand for round 1 applicants. Which makes sense since they probably don't look at Rd1 applications until after EA decisions are finalized which just happened.

If you want you can go look at Nov. 5th on prior year thread.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
columbiahopeful wrote:
Ramrod2615 wrote:

I wouldn't bother. Based on the prior year thread it looks like they updated SISS for interview invites the day of the deadline at like 4:00 PM EST and none beforehand for round 1 applicants. Which makes sense since they probably don't look at Rd1 applications until after EA decisions are finalized which just happened.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll continue to peruse the past threads on here in the meantime.

Does anyone have any insight into the actual interview? What was the atmosphere like? Was it super formal or more of a low-key, conversational tone?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
columbiahopeful wrote:
Ramrod2615 wrote:

Hi! On the SISS Homepage, it says "....you will receive an admissions decision ON the decision notification date specified for the Round in which you applied. Your admission decision will be displayed on this page."

Based on this, I wouldn't get too antsy before Nov 10 (the interview invitations due date mentioned for R1 applicants).

Good luck to all!

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
Send PM
Ramrod2615 wrote:
columbiahopeful wrote:
Ramrod2615 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. I'll continue to peruse the past threads on here in the meantime.

Does anyone have any insight into the actual interview? What was the atmosphere like? Was it super formal or more of a low-key, conversational tone?

No idea what the interview is like. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the fairly generic "Why Duke? Why MBA?" questions. Let us know if you find out anything specific though.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Exploring a Career Path: Highlights from My Genentech Internship
When I came to Fuqua last year, I never thought that I would end up at Genentech for my summer internship. With a background in consulting and interest in the provider space, I planned to pursue an internship with a local hospital and leverage the Health Sector Management Certificate program to prepare for a career in hospital administration.

However, after meeting Genentech at the National Black MBA Conference, I had the unexpected opportunity to interview for its commercial internship program. Within a couple weeks, I had an offer in hand! I was thrilled to have the opportunity to work at such a prominent biotechnology company in a well respected internship program. I had become more excited about a potential career in biotechnology, so after a few weeks of deliberating, I gladly accepted the offer.

I spent my summer in San Francisco in Market Planning, Genentech’s department that is focused on performing market research and long-term forecasting for its nearly 40 products. Specifically, my project was centered on TECENTRIQ, Genentech’s first and only cancer immunotherapy drug. This new class of drugs stimulates a patient’s own immune system to attack cancer cells, and it has been hailed as a “game changer” by many researchers and physicians in this space.

I was leading a team to conduct primary market research with 24 medical oncologists to prepare for TECENTRIQ’s upcoming launch in lung cancer. There were many memorable parts of my summer at Genentech—from interacting with a great class of MBA students from several schools to exploring different parts of the Bay Area. Here are some of the best parts of my internship experience:

Meaningful Project Role
I was able to lead a project that would truly impact the success of my product’s launch. My role included collaborating with our team’s marketing counterparts, coordinating with our market research vendor partners, and presenting the results of our research to key product leadership. My manager at Genentech also helped enrich my experience by organizing a field sales ride for me where I was able to spend an entire day with a TECENTRIQ sales representative as she spoke with doctors, nurses, and other clinical staff about the benefits of the product. It was an amazing experience that really brought my project to life. I could tell that Genentech truly valued my summer internship and wanted to provide a stellar experience for all of their MBA interns.

Connection with Fuqua Alumni
I learned this summer that Genentech is home to so many Fuqua alumni. The strong network was welcoming throughout the recruiting process, and I was able to connect with many of them once I arrived on Genentech’s campus. I think the company attracts so many Fuquans because of their similar cultures and values. Like Fuqua, Genentech embraces teamwork, collaboration, ambition, and working for the greater good. It was great to see this type of environment in industry.

Exposure to New Experiences
My internship experience encompassed several ‘firsts’ for my professional career. It was my first time working in the biotechnology space, my first time working in a marketing-related role, and my first time living on the west coast. While I didn’t imagine that I would have chosen this path upon entering business school, I could not imagine a better way to have spent my summer. I would encourage prospective business school students to being open to new experiences like the one I had in San Francisco with Genentech. Even though you may have a plan, I would advise everyone to keep an open mind and be willing to explore new opportunities as they present themselves. You never know what may come of it!

So now what? I had a great summer at Genentech, but what does that mean for my career post-MBA? While I am fortunate to have several strong post-graduate options, I am still deciding which decision will be the best for me going forward. I am so grateful for my Genentech internship, and I know that my experience from this summer will be extremely valuable going forward, no matter which path I choose.

The post Exploring a Career Path: Highlights from My Genentech Internship appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: A Day in the Life of a Consulting Intern at Bain & Company
I didn’t entirely know what to expect before beginning as a summer associate at Bain & Company in Washington, D.C., in June. Although I enrolled at Fuqua with the intention of pursuing an internship in consulting, I realized that I didn’t exactly know what consultants did all day, every day.

On my first day, I nervously entered the office on K Street, a street I knew well after having lived in D.C. for almost five years prior to school. I immediately felt at ease upon seeing everyone’s smiling faces. The Bain team made me feel at home and excited about what the next 10 weeks had in store.

No two days were exactly the same, but often, my day went something like this:

7:00 AM – Wake up and get ready for work
Check emails, but typically not much happens by way of email traffic after we get home for the night. My client happens to be in Washington, D.C., so I don’t have to catch a plane or a train to get to work.

8:45 AM – Coffee!
Arrive in the Bain office on K Street in Washington, D.C. Bain offices have snack areas with food for employees, so I always grab a quick bowl of cereal and coffee when I arrive in the office.

9:00 AM – Emails and meeting prep
Check emails and brush up on any work I did the night before in advance of our team meeting.

9:30 AM – Meet with team
I am staffed on a growth strategy case with a technology services company operating in the aerospace & defense industry. It’s been a great learning experience in an area in which I have little prior knowledge.

During our team meeting, we each recap any work we’ve each done since our last meeting and discuss the plan for the day. We collaborate on any outstanding questions and give each other feedback and ideas related to our workstreams.

10:15 AM – Start on my workstream
Back at my desk, I settle into the day’s work. My workstream involves producing a model related to base case, upside, and downside financial scenarios for our client based on industry trends. I found out during our team meeting that content I developed will be used in a presentation to the CEO of our client company the following wee—a very exciting development during my first week on the project.

12:30 PM – Team lunch break!
We typically order food and eat together as a team in the Rose Garden, one of the large open rooms in the Bain office.

Every day during lunch, our team gets a discussion going based on questions like “what is your number one upcoming travel destination,” “what is your favorite and least favorite state and why,” “if you weren’t working at Bain, what would you be doing,” and one of our favorites: “who do you think will win ‘The Bachelor’”? Our team typically gets other teams talking about the question, too.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x576.jpg
Summer associate training in Cape Cod with some of the Fuqua interns who spent the summer at Bain

1:15 PM – Meeting prep
Today, we have a meeting with our partner team to brainstorm for next week’s client meeting. I take some time to brush up on the content that I’ve prepared before the meeting.

Sometimes I feel a bit out of my comfort zone given that I worked in government and public policy for five years before Fuqua. However, I have found great support in my teammates, to whom I can go whenever I have questions or concerns.

2:30–4:30 PM – Brainstorm meeting with partners
The team consists of three partners, a manager (we called him our fearless leader), a second-year consultant, a senior associate consultant, an associate consultant, an associate consultant intern, and myself. Many thoughts, ideas and plans are considered throughout the meeting.

One of the best things about the summer was that I was continually impressed by how valued every member of the team truly is. We worked hard, collaborated, and had fun. I was so grateful to be accepted by my team wholeheartedly and was always surprised that the team counted on me and the associate consultant intern to share our thoughts and insights (despite my lack of prior consulting experience).

6:00 PM – Meet with case team (minus partners)
Recap from partner meeting and lay out the work plan leading up to our next client meeting. We have a lot of content to develop, but with a good structure and path in place, we feel good about the next steps.

8:00 PM – Team dinner in the office
We sometimes eat dinner at the office when we have an upcoming client meeting to prepare for, and tonight we found a new Indian ‘fast casual’ restaurant that we all enjoyed (Merzi, for D.C. residents…check it out). Sometimes we turn on the Olympics to catch up while eating.

9:30 PM – Head home
The day wraps up and it is time to head home. Before leaving, I finish a bit of research, edit a few slides, and schedule a professional development chat with the consultant on my team for later in the week.

While I still have a lot to learn, I was fortunate to be able to spend a summer working hard for a client in an environment that I find challenging and fulfilling. Thankfully Bain’s training, Fuqua, and my prior work experience prepared me well to deliver impactful results as a consulting intern from the get-go. I’m excited to be returning to Bain full time after graduating from Fuqua and know that I will continue to grow and learn throughout my time there.

The post A Day in the Life of a Consulting Intern at Bain & Company appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Fuqua’s Focus on Leadership Growth
114 weeks ago today I walked into the large Geneen auditorium at Fuqua to meet my classmates. I had just returned from more than two years of living in Ethiopia, working to help small nonprofits come to the country. Business school was attractive because my job had ceased to challenge me, and I had come to believe that the private sector was more likely to solve the biggest problems of our time than the NGO world.

Some often attempt to value a business degree or program by looking at what jobs graduates take immediately after their time at the school. I have been well-served by Fuqua in this regard. Since graduating in May, I’ve begun working at Boston Consulting Group’s Washington, D.C., office. I’m excited to work with top management on their toughest problems. I’m excited to be at a firm which is one of Fortune magazine’s best employers. This is exactly the job I wanted when I entered school.

It’s understandable why we look at these data to compare schools. The MBA is a professional degree. Everyone wants a good job. Job placements are also observable, and comparable. Looking at first jobs after school is a good place to start, but it’s also insufficient. It does not tell us the long-term prospects of these people. It does not tell you other ways the MBA may have helped them.

A Unique Environment
The courses at Fuqua in finance, accounting, management, and statistics have allowed me to understand the world of business. I believe that the emphasis of  teamwork and community at Fuqua will help me thrive in it. As I write this, I’m on a Southwest Airlines flight from Austin, TX, back to D.C. I’m reminded of something Bill Keleher, the former CEO of this airline which has been profitable for 43 consecutive years, said: “The business of business is people.”

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 00x300.jpg
Associate Dean Russ Morgan and Dean Bill Boulding are common fixtures at Fuqua Friday
You may have seen mention of Fuqua’s concept of “Team Fuqua.” A major component of it is a general feeling of support, affection, and camaraderie among the students which is the result of several policies and practices throughout the school. In the classroom you won’t find computers or phones. They’re not allowed, so you give each other your best attention. Outside of the classroom the overwhelming majority of work is assigned to teams, not individuals. This carries over to student life where Fuqua Fridays—a weekly time for us all to eat, drink, and socialize together—is just one of the many school-facilitated opportunities for our community to bond. And it all starts in Admissions where there is a concerted effort to attract and identify people who will value and thrive in  in this type of  community.

One of the main outcomes of this Team Fuqua mindset has been that I’ve become a much better team player. I am more considerate of others. I am more selfless. I am more patient. I am more kind. And I believe these qualities will make be a better leader.

Personal and Leadership Growth
When I was looking at business schools these were attributes that I thought I would have to be intentional about preserving within myself over the two years of the MBA. Stereotypically, MBA programs are not known to be nurturing to the soul or to one’s interest in others. There is certainly space for programs which want to build people into excellent individual achievers, but those places would not have been right for me.

There are professions and roles where you can certainly make a lot of money without needing to be a great team player. However, if you’re interested in working to solve some of the biggest and most interesting problems in the world, you will need to be able to lead others and to relate to others whose approaches are foreign to you.

I’m so happy to have had the laboratory to grow not only intellectually, but in my ability to collaborate and lead over the last two years. As you approach your decision about an MBA and Fuqua, I encourage you to make sure you have a broad appreciation of the types of skills you need to live the life you want. Team Fuqua has helped me grow into not just a more capable business technician, but into a better leader, and a better person.

The post Fuqua’s Focus on Leadership Growth appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
Hi Everyone - did anyone else get wait listed from the Early Round?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
4 more days!! You all feeling excited, anxious, etc? I am ready to find something out and move on! its tough focusing on anything else but this...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
Send PM
ruggerkaz wrote:
4 more days!! You all feeling excited, anxious, etc? I am ready to find something out and move on! its tough focusing on anything else but this...

This is super exciting! Let's all hope for some good news :-D Does Fuqua release all invites on Nov 10?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
vbblr wrote:
ruggerkaz wrote:

This is super exciting! Let's all hope for some good news :-D Does Fuqua release all invites on Nov 10?

Apparently, Yes.

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
I believe so. Sometime later in the afternoon the portal gets updated.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts