It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 16:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 10:39
Hi Guys - Did'nt get a interview call :-(! Good luck to everyone...go check! All the best!

Last edited by Zizad on 27 Sep 2016, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 10:43
Who didn't receive the invitation, don't lose hope. I've seen interview invitations even between EA and R1. Good luck!

Last edited by FrancoP on 27 Sep 2016, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 10:55
Not invited :cry: Good luck to everyone else!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 11:08
not invited :(
Congrats to all those who got the invite :)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

HEC Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 11:29
Not invited. :/
So is this a ding or do they re-evaluate the decisions?

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 11:43
Not invited. Good luck everyone!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Schools: Ross '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 12:26
Did not get interview call...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 15:14
Hi Everyone.
Lots of congrats to those who got the invite. Wish you all the best to pass the interview.

As for myself I got 'Not Invited' . Though the Admission Office mentions that this is not the Final Decision and there might be a chance for an invite later, I am highly disappointed as I had thought that I had submitted a strong application for Early Action, covering all my bases and maximizing my strengths with real good essays.
I was very gung ho on Duke.I know I would be a great fit at Duke and I made sure that this message got across with appropriate reasoning. Do not know what went wrong.

I request those who are invited/accepted previously to maybe have a look at mine and others who also didnt get an invite's applications and judge what exactly was wrong. This will help us a lot so that we make sure that we apply better to other schools in coming rounds.

Also, what are the chances of getting an invite later?
Read elsewhere on GmatClub that some students have indeed got an invite for an interview later on and have been successfully accepted. But also read that 'those who are not invited will be considered when all interviews are completed. So if interview results are not what ad-com were expecting, they will try to interview some more people from the "not invited" pool - Unlikely, but not impossible.'
Ie. Should not keep high hopes.

Would really appreciate guidance and support!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 02:52
Guys, anyone from India here got an Invite?

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 03:27
PositiveMBA wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I request those who are invited/accepted previously to maybe have a look at mine and others who also didnt get an invite's applications and judge what exactly was wrong. This will help us a lot so that we make sure that we apply better to other schools in coming rounds.

Would really appreciate guidance and support!

Hi Everyone,

We worked with two applicants for the Early application round, and both got interview invites. It gives me confidence to say we were doing something right.

PositiveMBA, I'd like to take up your request for help and give you guys a quick feedback on the problem areas in your essays. If you are applying to other b-schools, this feedback should help avoid crucial mistakes over there.

You can write to me at the email address given in my signature.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.59

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 04:32
btharun2008 wrote:
Guys, anyone from India here got an Invite?

Got one. Just the portal is updated. They said that they'll send a follow up mail

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 08:00
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled
Growing up I always wanted to be a doctor.  So, following this passion and an interest in helping my community, I went to college to study pre-med. However, the more pre-med classes I took, the more disillusioned I became (never take Organic Chemistry as a freshman).

Instead, I began focusing on economics. One particular class that focused on health care economics opened my eyes to a completely new side of health care: hospital administration.

The Long Game
With this fresh career goal, I began steering towards corporate finance to develop my data analytics skills, as well as to gain experience in a regulated environment. Both of these would be key to helping me succeed once in hospital administration.

After landing a position as a quantitative financial analyst with Bank of America, I outlined a plan to apply to business school three years later to transition into my desired long-term field. I considered a Master’s in Hospital Administration (MHA), but an MBA has a greater scope of learning with the flexibility to pivot industries if I ended up not liking what I assumed to be my dream industry (thankfully this didn’t end up being the case!).

Lack of a Health Care Background—No Problem!
When looking at schools, I wanted a program that had a strong health care concentration. After evaluating various programs, Duke stood out for two major reasons:

• Continuous learning of the industry
  • Experiential learning opportunities
As someone who had NO background in health care, I wanted to get thrown in head first.  I wanted to start my learning immediately and to continue learning throughout the year. Fuqua provided both of those opportunities through the Health Sector Management (HSM) Bootcamp and bi-weekly seminars.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x576.jpg
Professor David Ridley, faculty director of the Health Sector Management program, talks during Bootcamp

Fuqua’s great learning opportunities helped me solidify a strong base understanding of the health care industry.  The next piece that I would need to transition successfully from banking to health care would be hands on experience within the industry. There are multiple opportunities to do this in the first year of your MBA:

• Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP)
  • Duke University Hospital Experiential Learning Project (DUH ELP)
Because of these key reasons, as well as the incredible family-like culture at Fuqua, it was an easy choice to apply during the early decision round, and fortunately enough I got in! Once here I became immersed in the HSM program curriculum and continued to develop my healthcare knowledge through the experiential projects.

My classmates were great at encouraging me. They even helped me broaden my health care knowledge by having me explain a health care article to one of them each day.  Although sometimes it could be time-consuming, it was great that they made time for me.

The Power of the Alumni Network
Also, I discovered the power that is the Duke alumni network. Unknown to me be before coming to Fuqua, the HSM program was a merger of Fuqua and the Duke MHA program. The alumni of this MHA program now represent some incredible health care leaders throughout the nation.

Through a combination of engaging academics, experiential projects, and the Duke and Fuqua network, I successfully transitioned with an internship at New York-Presbyterian (#6 U.S. ranked hospital) in their hospital administration internship program.

I am incredibly grateful for all of the opportunities Fuqua provided, for my classmates who helped me learn and pushed me, and for all of the incredible alumni who helped mentor me throughout the year, and continue to do so now. I can’t imagine having such a successful transition into healthcare if I had gone anywhere else.

The post Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager

Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 09:00
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled
Growing up I always wanted to be a doctor.  So, following this passion and an interest in helping my community, I went to college to study pre-med. However, the more pre-med classes I took, the more disillusioned I became (never take Organic Chemistry as a freshman).

Instead, I began focusing on economics. One particular class that focused on health care economics opened my eyes to a completely new side of health care: hospital administration.

The Long Game
With this fresh career goal, I began steering towards corporate finance to develop my data analytics skills, as well as to gain experience in a regulated environment. Both of these would be key to helping me succeed once in hospital administration.

After landing a position as a quantitative financial analyst with Bank of America, I outlined a plan to apply to business school three years later to transition into my desired long-term field. I considered a Master’s in Hospital Administration (MHA), but an MBA has a greater scope of learning with the flexibility to pivot industries if I ended up not liking what I assumed to be my dream industry (thankfully this didn’t end up being the case!).

Lack of a Health Care Background—No Problem!
When looking at schools, I wanted a program that had a strong health care concentration. After evaluating various programs, Duke stood out for two major reasons:

• Continuous learning of the industry
  • Experiential learning opportunities
As someone who had NO background in health care, I wanted to get thrown in head first.  I wanted to start my learning immediately and to continue learning throughout the year. Fuqua provided both of those opportunities through the Health Sector Management (HSM) Bootcamp and bi-weekly seminars.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x576.jpg
Professor David Ridley, faculty director of the Health Sector Management program, talks during Bootcamp

Fuqua’s great learning opportunities helped me solidify a strong base understanding of the health care industry.  The next piece that I would need to transition successfully from banking to health care would be hands on experience within the industry. There are multiple opportunities to do this in the first year of your MBA:

• Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP)
  • Duke University Hospital Experiential Learning Project (DUH ELP)
Because of these key reasons, as well as the incredible family-like culture at Fuqua, it was an easy choice to apply during the early decision round, and fortunately enough I got in! Once here I became immersed in the HSM program curriculum and continued to develop my healthcare knowledge through the experiential projects.

My classmates were great at encouraging me. They even helped me broaden my health care knowledge by having me explain a health care article to one of them each day.  Although sometimes it could be time-consuming, it was great that they made time for me.

The Power of the Alumni Network
Also, I discovered the power that is the Duke alumni network. Unknown to me be before coming to Fuqua, the HSM program was a merger of Fuqua and the Duke MHA program. The alumni of this MHA program now represent some incredible health care leaders throughout the nation.

Through a combination of engaging academics, experiential projects, and the Duke and Fuqua network, I successfully transitioned with an internship at New York-Presbyterian (#6 U.S. ranked hospital) in their hospital administration internship program.

I am incredibly grateful for all of the opportunities Fuqua provided, for my classmates who helped me learn and pushed me, and for all of the incredible alumni who helped mentor me throughout the year, and continue to do so now. I can’t imagine having such a successful transition into healthcare if I had gone anywhere else.

The post Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2016, 12:52
Anyone applying in R1?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 14:13
Duke has an open interview policy. Why worry about not getting an invite?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 08:32
tae808 wrote:

From what I've gathered, the open interview policy applies only to early entry candidates. For R1/2/3 candidates I believe Fuqua follows the "interview by invitation" policy. Is my understanding correct?

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 08:35
Hormazd91 wrote:
tae808 wrote:

From what I've gathered, the open interview policy applies only to early entry candidates. For R1/2/3 candidates I believe Fuqua follows the "interview by invitation" policy. Is my understanding correct?

All applicants, regardless of the round in which you intend to apply, are eligible to interview during the Open Interview Period. A completed application is not required to interview during the Open Interview Period. Travel to Durham to complete an interview is required for some Early Action applicants (see notice below).

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Tuck '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 08:36
Hormazd91 wrote:
tae808 wrote:

This is untrue. The open interview process is not limited to EA. See:

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/a ... w-process/

"All applicants, regardless of the round in which you intend to apply, are eligible to interview during the Open Interview Period"

My GMAT Journey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/660-to-740-keep-fighting-the-good-fight-212746.html#p1640502

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 08:37
tae808 wrote:
Hormazd91 wrote:
tae808 wrote:

All applicants, regardless of the round in which you intend to apply, are eligible to interview during the Open Interview Period. A completed application is not required to interview during the Open Interview Period. Travel to Durham to complete an interview is required for some Early Action applicants (see notice below).

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for the clarification! I unfortunately wasn't aware of this.

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Schools: Duke '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 05:55
CrackuM7 wrote:
Anyone applying in R1?

Yes, I just did. Are you applying too?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2016, 05:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29    Next  [ 566 posts ] 

Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap