Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Calling all UW-Foster Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
prep time : 30 sec

talk time : 1.30 min.

Same as the practice questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.56
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Hey guys!

I'll (most likely) be applying in round 3 this year. Just curious....can someone explain the whole 4 round thing vice just having 3 rounds? I couldn't find any type of FAQ on Foster's website to address this. Is the 4th round reserved for the Olympians/Navy SEALS/ultra-successful entrepreneurs, like round 3 seems to be for most other schools? Are there any better or worse odds at getting in, depending on the round you apply?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: UW Foster - Class of 2018
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
manbear677 wrote:
Hey guys!

I'll (most likely) be applying in round 3 this year. Just curious....can someone explain the whole 4 round thing vice just having 3 rounds? I couldn't find any type of FAQ on Foster's website to address this. Is the 4th round reserved for the Olympians/Navy SEALS/ultra-successful entrepreneurs, like round 3 seems to be for most other schools? Are there any better or worse odds at getting in, depending on the round you apply?

Thanks!

Some schools have four rounds, some have three. I wouldn't read too much into that. Four rounds gives the admissions team some additional flexibility in forming their class.

There is no "reservation" for any particular round, but I would imagine by the 4th round, the admissions team has formed the majority of the class and they have a good idea of what they have a lot of and what they don't have a lot of. The reality is that the "bar" has been set and the admissions team can likely draw a bright line on who will fit and who will not.

I'm a firm believer that you should submit in the round when you have your best application. I also believe that the 4th round isn't reserved for magical unicorns (like the Navy SEALS or start-up phenoms examples you alluded to), but the admissions team is less likely to break precedence if they have already made a decision on a candidate with a similar background as yours. What that means is that this can work against or for you, depending if you are a solid candidate or a borderline one.

A couple of real-world examples come to mind:
* It's like NFL teams in draft rounds. By the bottom round picks, the offices have generally figured out what kind of team they have and they can be selective and target a particular candidate.
* Since it looks like you're from the military, the closest example I can give is selecting your MOS. The army (or whatever branch) assigns jobs based on needs and people selecting. If you're last to pick, you run into a risk of selecting a MOS that is at capacity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Took the video interview -
One advice - practice a couple of times, even if you're repeating questions, before taking the final interview. The warm up prior to the final experience is important.
All the best !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
rajatk18 wrote:
One advice - practice a couple of times, even if you're repeating questions, before taking the final interview. The warm up prior to the final experience is important.
All the best !

Hey Rajat,
Care to share questions that were asked?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
bschool17 wrote:
rajatk18 wrote:
All the best !

Hey Rajat,
Care to share questions that were asked?
Thanks!

Hey bschool17 : 2 questions as follows:

Question 1: What would you do if you had 1 additional hour in a day ?
Question 2: Talk about a time you experienced stress and what you did to manage it ?

The pattern was identical to the practice interview format - 30 sec prep 1:30 talk time.
Cheers !
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Want to know how I compare against fellow applicants in R1 especially Intnl Students. Can you all post your credentials..Here are mine

GMAT: 670, WE: 7 yrs Indian Male IT :oops: , Extra Curr: Basic,

Thanks,
Adak
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
adakbapak wrote:
Hi Guys,

Want to know how I compare against fellow applicants in R1 especially Intnl Students. Can you all post your credentials..Here are mine

Thanks,
Adak

Indian male (Product IT in a major global R&D firm). WE: 3 years at matriculation. GMAT 750, GPA 8.3 from Tier 1. EC: Decent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Can the reply to the video question be 50-60 seconds long?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akarshank wrote:

Check out the practice question. Assuming the final thing is same; you can simply press spacebar and end your response @ 50 or 60 sec.. 8-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
razordude1717 wrote:
adakbapak wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Adak

Indian male (Product IT in a major global R&D firm). WE: 3 years at matriculation. GMAT 750, GPA 8.3 from Tier 1. EC: Decent.

razordude, ur profile looks razor sharp :) You can get into top 10 schools..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bschool17 wrote:
akarshank wrote:

Check out the practice question. Assuming the final thing is same; you can simply press spacebar and end your response @ 50 or 60 sec.. 8-)

Took the questions today.. fumbled a bit because of nervousness. I hope I did just enough to get to the next round. Fingers crossed for final interview invitation.
How was yours ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
adakbapak wrote:
bschool17 wrote:
akarshank wrote:

Took the questions today.. fumbled a bit because of nervousness. I hope I did just enough to get to the next round. Fingers crossed for final interview invitation.
How was yours ?

Was fine... Had issues with recording so gave a couple of tries. Jacked up thing ended up recording the worst of the answers lol

Now just have to wait and see what's next...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
The process was smooth for me, did fumble a little bit with my english in the first question!

Wasnt able to complete the second question as I was cut off right in the middle of the conclusion!

Good luck to fellow foster aspirants!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
adakbapak wrote:
razordude1717 wrote:
adakbapak wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Adak

razordude, ur profile looks razor sharp :) You can get into top 10 schools..

Nayy! My work experience is pretty low relatively. I dunno how it works though eventually. Have been invited everywhere I applied except for the top 10 :P (and Fuqua too!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Our way of giving back to the community and also having fun – C4C Fundraiser and Weekend
The University of Washington’s Foster MBA students believe community involvement is an integral part of being a business professional. As a result, each year we participate in the MBA Challenge for Charity (C4C), a non-profit organization that draws on the talents, energy, and resources of MBA students from nine west coast business schools to support our local Special Olympics and Boys & Girls Clubs. The objective is to develop business leaders with a lifelong commitment to community involvement and social responsibility.

What is the C4C Auction?

Every year, Foster C4C hosts an auction that serves as our primary fundraising event. The auction is 100% student planned and coordinated. To date, Foster MBA students have volunteered over 20,000 hours and donated more than $1.4 million to the Special Olympics Washington and the Boys & Girls Club of King County!

The 2014 C4C Auction was the best attended in the event’s history and saw 290 new and old friends alike come together to make the event a huge success. Our Live Auction highlights included an African safari, a getaway to Hood Canal, a private catering experience, and a soccer clinic with the Seattle Sounders, to name a few. Adding to the excitement, for the first time in years, Foster took back the #1 spot in fundraising over the 8 other West coast schools in attendance at C4C Sports Weekend! We want to keep the momentum going, and the planning for the 2015 Auction is already underway. We hope that our incoming students will help us make 2015 even more amazing by continuing to support these wonderful charities. It’s time to bring the golden briefcase back to Foster, where it belongs!

The C4C Sports Weekend

Sports weekend is partly for competition, partly for ego, but mostly, it’s for a lot of fun. It’s a break from the busy routines of school and a chance to get to know classmates better, meet students from other programs, and enjoy a nice, sunny weekend in Palo Alto. It’s also a reward for thousands of hours volunteered in the community and over hundred thousand dollars raised for charity throughout the year (not to mention the bumps and bruises preparing for sports!). Seen all around the Stanford campus were UW shirts, hats, blinky party sunglasses, mustaches (both weird and impressive), purple & gold party beads and temporary UW tattoos. Foster’s Student Band – Death Spiral killed it at Battle of the Bands. The weekend proved that we are as intense with our sports as we are with our studies!

What an exciting weekend we had! Over 180 Full Time, Evening and Blue Dots trekked down to Palo Alto this April and Foster definitely represented at C4C Sports Weekend at Stanford. All year long, students from nine MBA programs on the West Coast raise money and donate thousands of volunteer hours to Special Olympics and local charities. Then, every year in mid-April, we trek down to sunny California and compete in sports events and some non-sporting events with the likes of Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, and USC. Whether it was Basketball, Dodgeball, Ultimate Frisbee, Trivia, the Dance Competition, Tug of War or Battle of the Bands, we participated in almost every event and showed the other schools that UW is there to win. And we did!

Foster placed 2nd in

• Co-ed Soccer
  • Co-ed Softball
  • Table Tennis
  • Ultimate Frisbee
  • The Spelling Bee
Foster placed 3rd in

• Women’s Basketball
  • The Trivia Bowl
All results can be seen here. Go Dawgs!!

So how did we do?

Between the 2013 and 2014 Sport Weekends, UW raised over $112,000 and donated over 2,600 hours of community service! These two components count for a combined 80% of the total score. Together with the sports during the weekend, UW got a strong 2nd place finish! Awesome job everyone!

Sadly, in the end, the famed “Golden Briefcase” went to USC for another year. Foster placed second overall, just nipping at the heels of USC in the competition for the Golden Briefcase. While we raised the most money per capita of any school, we were just shy on our volunteer hours and not able to restore the Golden Briefcase to its proper home at Foster. But that was 2014, with everyone’s help, we can prevail in 2015!! Here are some stats:

Overall Score

• Foster —78
  • USC —80
Hours Volunteered Per Capita (40%)

• Total Hours Volunteered—2,621 hours
  • Total Foster Hour per Capita—11.3 hours
  • Total USC Hours per Capita—12.8 hours
Fundraising Per Capita (40%)

• Total Amount Raised—$112,068
  • Foster Fundraising Amount per Capita—$485
  • USC Fundraising Amount per Capita—$480
Sports Weekend Performance is weighted 20%

• Foster Sports Weekend Ranking—5th
  • USC Sports Weekend Ranking—4th
As you can see, Foster and USC are neck-in-neck! Let’s step it up this year and show everyone what Foster is all about at Sports Weekend 2015!

Let’s start volunteering NOW!!

Your efforts begin to count now, 2015! And 2014 hours count until graduation. Begin getting out into community and giving back!

Log your hours here: https://depts.washington.edu/mbaclub/su ... eer-hours/

And even if you’re not in the Seattle area, you can still help! Remember to use our affiliate link for all of your Amazon purchases and any money raised goes straight into the C4C donation bin (with no added cost to you!). Do what I do and bookmark it right on top so you don’t forget!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Other (Real Estate)
Send PM
I've heard really good things about C4C from recent alums and current students. Not sure if it involves all the Top West Coast schools (or just Pac-12), regardless, I heard it's one of the funnest and most rewarding MBA clubs to be a part of.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts