GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all UW-Foster Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.19
Re: Calling all UW-Foster Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 14:35
Just got the call, I'm in!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.31
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Calling all UW-Foster Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 14:43
erose wrote:

congrats!

I just got a ding e-mail. Disappointing, but that also makes my decision easier. Congrats to everyone who gets in!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.49
WE: Marketing (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 14:56
Congrats! I just got the ding email, too. I'm a bit disappointed, as I'm a local, involved in the school, and went to undergrad there. Oh well, onto the next!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Calling all UW-Foster Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 15:53
erose wrote:

Congrats ! Just got the call too, i'm in as well! Still waiting to hear from McCombs and McDonough.

No mention of financial aid or scholarship. Should I assume I am in with no $ or is there somewhere else I can go to find out this info?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.31
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2015, 18:49
jhite233 wrote:
erose wrote:

Congrats ! Just got the call too, i'm in as well! Still waiting to hear from McCombs and McDonough.

No mention of financial aid or scholarship. Should I assume I am in with no $ or is there somewhere else I can go to find out this info?

Any financial (scholarship) info would be with the initial e-mail. Typically there is no 'free' money for R3 or R4 applicants, but loans are always extended.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.19

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 08:28
I got a partial scholarship, came with the initial email
Manager
Manager
Powerful conversations: FOSTERing MBA Access  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 09:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Powerful conversations: FOSTERing MBA Access

Interview with Junny Kim, 1st-year MBA, Class of 2016. FOSTERing MBA Access is a student-run series of events sponsored by the Diversity In Business Club, Women In Business Club, and Out In Business Club. The events are dedicated to increasing awareness and access to MBA-level education in underrepresented communities.

What was the FOSTERing MBA Access event like?
The first part was a diversity panel, where they had a mix of current students, alumni, and evening students. I volunteered for check-in so I didn’t attend that event, but they made sure that they had people in that panel that represented different members of the Foster class: people of different gender, ethnicities, sexual orientation, and marital status. I attended the second part of the event, where they had a mixer and keynote speaker. Colleen Fukui-Sketchley was the keynote speaker from Nordstrom, which was actually the main reason I went. I had met her previously in the context of working for Nordstrom. She is the Director of Diversity Affairs, and she was just recently awarded the UW Odegaard award, which is given to leaders in the community who promote diversity.

After the mixer portion, she gave a talk about the importance of diversity in the workplace. She spoke about what we can do to promote diversity in the workplace, and about her role. It was interesting to hear about her role, because she has her hands in so many different departments. It’s not just about hiring diverse people, it’s also about making sure that they are serving a diverse customer. She gave this example about how she’s even involved in decisions like making sure that they have the right kind of foundation or pantyhose for every person! Image
]1 Colleen Fukui-Sketchley. Image Credit: Anil Kapathi

Wait, how did you meet Colleen?
I met her because Career Management set up Executive Office Hours, and this was in the midst of my internship search. (note: The Executive Office Hours is an opportunity for Foster MBA students to meet one-on-one with business leaders in the Seattle area.) I saw that she was from Nordstrom, and Nordstrom was coming for on-campus recruiting and I wanted to explore retail again. So we scheduled a meeting through that program and had a chance to have a one-to-one talk. She talked about what she did at Nordstrom as the Director of Diversity Affairs, but then the conversation morphed into a discussion about what it means to be a female executive or an Asian American executive. So we met in that context, and then all this internship stuff happened. In the midst of that, I had a chance to get in touch with her and meet up again because we had a great time chatting and I wanted to connect with her again.

When we scheduled that second meeting, I had completed my Nordstrom interview but wasn’t offered the position yet…I wanted to ask her what I could do better next time. Promptly after scheduling the meeting, I fortunately was offered an internship position, so then the request changed to “I got the position, but can we still meet to celebrate…and also to meet again?”

That second conversation was interesting because at this point, the focus wasn’t so much on career. Instead, we talked mostly about being a woman, wanting to be a mother and to have a family, what it is to be an Asian American woman in the business world, and so on. She gave me a lot of advice. It was interesting to talk about that with someone that was kind of in my shoes: of being an Asian American woman who wants to be professional, and having to figure out how to do that in the business world where women are a minority. It was a really interesting discussion to hear her standpoint on things that she had done. I think there are things that women have to be more conscientious of to assert ourselves and ensure we are not undermined (more so than men) and it was really interesting to hear about that and what it’s like to be a working mom and how she manages the work-life balance of it all.

That’s amazing! So what made you sign up for this event?
Well, firstly, I wanted to support Colleen! Being Asian American and being a woman, I’m a minority in the business world, and I thought it was great they were bringing her in as the keynote speaker for the event. I also wanted to be involved in the Diversity in Business club in general and that was part of the reason behind going, too. I wanted to support these types of events that help get the conversation started. We all have areas of improvement when it comes to diversity and being inclusive. I want to contribute, even if it’s simply checking people in at an event, being there to talk to prospective students, or getting the word out and encouraging people to talk in this safe environment.

What really resonated with you about this event?
I think more than anything, what resonated with me was this idea that as MBA students, we organized an event where people were specifically there to talk specifically about diversity in the workplace. Looking around the room, there was a mix of current students, prospective students, alumni, as well as professors…it was this mix of people, not just in the sense of typical diversity that people think of, but different roles and different places in their life. It was great to see all those people come together behind this cause of “what does diversity mean” and “how can we promote diversity in the workplace” and make it a better place. I think it was really a great experience to have that and I’m grateful for the clubs that helped organize this event!

Prior to the MBA, Junny Kim worked in healthcare as a clinic coordinator at the Evidence Based Treatment Centers of Seattle. For more about Junny, you can view her professional profile at LinkedIn
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
MBA Study Tour: Spring Break in Japan!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 09:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: MBA Study Tour: Spring Break in Japan!

Every year, Foster MBA students get to travel the world as part of long-term MBA exchange programs or on short-term study tours/projects, led by the Global Business Center. This is Peter Kazarian’s account of the March ’15 study tour in Japan. Super jealous.

“Okonomiyaki.”

“What?”

“Okonomiyaki. It’s like a giant pancake with seafood and noodles in it that you cook in front of you. Regional Osaka specialty. How does that sound for dinner?”

“Uh…really good actually? Let’s do it.”

On our recent Foster School of Business study tour to Japan, this was a typical pre-meal conversation. If we weren’t getting fed a complete bento box kit after a company tour, we were turned loose, 18 hungry students from ‘Merica on the streets of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Kobe. Trying to find food in a country referred to as the most Western AND most unique country in East Asia. We always found food, and it was (almost always) delicious and something new.

I knew early on that I wanted to go on a Study Tour while at Foster. The two most common ways to satisfy the International Perspective requirement for domestic students is with two single-unit classes, or to invest in the once in a lifetime experience of a Study Tour. When I heard that one of this year’s trips was going to Japan, I knew I couldn’t pass that up. I grew up in Cupertino, California (yes, near Apple), where my middle school classes ran at least 20% Japanese-American. The city had its own Cherry Blossom festival, and we’d regularly hang out at the Yaohan/Mitsuwa Japanese supermarket (in the ramen food court). All of this of course would be incredibly different from actually going to Japan – which is why I’ve always wanted to do it.

The Global Business Center at Foster put our trip together, along with the visiting professor and one of our classmates, a Tokyo native. Led by visiting Dartmouth Tuck School of Business Professor Joseph Massey (the former US Trade Rep to Japan for 8 years), we toured dozens of factories, skyscrapers and offices. And we heard firsthand from both native Japanese and Western expats about doing in business in Japan, the Japanese consumer and family life.

Imagine touring the Toyota factory and seeing a flurry of robot arms welding a slowly moving car in front of you, or going to a steel factory where hundred foot long slabs of red-hot steel scoot by on rollers, instantly warming you by 20° from hundreds of feet away. We heard firsthand about Panasonic battling it out in the big screen TV market, and walked the halls of Microsoft’s Japan office, seeing this Washington State company in a completely different, international context. We also visited the US Embassy (the day before Michelle Obama got there!) and were treated to an in-depth panel on the macroeconomics of US trade with Japan and the approaching international trade negotiations in the Trans Pacific Partnership. Definitely an intellectually stimulating trip with a huge business component.

And I appreciated that. But just as interesting was the free time, getting to roam the streets of some of the most beautiful cities in the world. And getting to know the Japanese people. We all visited Akihabara, a Tokyo neighborhood and cultural district central to the Japanese art and anime industry, as well as Shinjuku, another Tokyo ward known for its nightlife and Shibuya, nearby the busiest train station and crosswalk in the world. Led by our Tokyo native classmate, home visiting family, we went to a local izakaya (sake and appetizer place) where the only thing not in Japanese characters were the numbers on the menu. 4-5 days in Tokyo and we only scratched the surface.

In addition to the sights and sounds of Tokyo, our business visits took us further south in Japan, where we stopped along the way at the Temples of the Golden and Silver Pavilions, famous shrines and some of the most iconic buildings in Japan. We also saw the ancient Shogun’s palace at Nijo Castle, with its shoji rice paper screens and intentionally squeaking, legitimately ninja-proofed floors. We did karaoke after leaving Tokyo three separate times, and saw an actual geisha outside a 7-11 in the Gion arts district in Kyoto.

Every guide, every employee of every business we encountered, and anyone willing to humor our bad Japanese met us as peers, with true hospitality. Tipping isn’t done in Japan, because a high degree of service is an expected cultural value — nothing needed as incentive. And everyone we befriended wanted to share their favorite parts of the culture, the sights and the nightlife of their country with us. It was a fantastic trip, a first for me, and hopefully not just a once in a lifetime experience. Now I’ve got the travel bug, and I’ve been looking for fresh octopus pancakes in Fremont ever since.

Prior to Foster, Peter was a lifelong Californian and veteran of the LA/SF digital/ad agency scene. As a digital strategist, he focused on web strategy, e-commerce and database-driven marketing for major nonprofits like the American Red Cross and the City of Hope cancer treatment center.

After winning a few industry-specific awards, he came to Foster to move fully into consumer marketing on behalf of for-profits. He really enjoys his UW education and bonding with classmates and alums, and he’s excited to be working at Starbucks HQ doing Brand and Channel marketing this summer. When not networking or studying , he spends his time cooking, hiking and deep in the blogosphere. And trying to adjust to the PNW’s weather and lack of Mexican food.

The Okonomiyaki was delicious.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Schools: Foster '17 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.43

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 10:24
Has anyone who applied for a need-based scholarship heard anything?
Manager
Manager
Blue Dot Perspective: Mattie  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 09:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Blue Dot Perspective: Mattie

Guest post by Mattie Winistorfer. Mattie’s fiance is a current student here at Foster, and she is a member of the ‘Blue Dots’ – the network of spouses and significant others whose loved ones are in the Foster MBA program. The name comes from the blue dot stickers that were put on their name tags during Admitted Student Welcome Weekends, to indicate that they were the spouse/significant other of an admitted student.

How did you feel about your significant other choosing the Foster School for his/her MBA studies?
I was crazy excited when my student chose Foster because we were looking for a lifestyle change from Washington DC and Seattle was really our dream destination. You can’t beat the number of career opportunities here, and the ease of access to the outdoors. When we visited for the Preview Weekend in October, Foster’s community was evident from the start. Everyone was so friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know us, and were happy with their experience in the program. During that same trip, we visited another west coast school and even though it was still a great school, the community just didn’t compare. This was only reinforced when we returned for the Admitted Student Welcome Weekend (which is a really important part of the decision making process). Foster showed us a great time throughout the weekend from the panels, Bollywood TG, and my personal favorite: the duck boat tour.

Moving across the country is a big deal. Did you have any hesitations about moving to Seattle? Did anything help you feel better about the decision?
I have to give credit to my student, he made a huge effort to make me a part of the decision making process. In turn, I was able to feel like the change was our journey; not just a move we were making for him. Attending the Admitted Student Welcome Weekend really helped as well because we were able to meet some of the people that are now some of our best friends from the program.

If you’re looking for housing (or a job) I learned that Foster and the Blue Dot community were really helpful in answering questions when we were moving. To extend the courtesy given to me, I’m happy to field any questions on neighborhoods for incoming students and Blue Dots.

How did you adjust to life when your significant other started the MBA program?
I’ll be honest, the first quarter was really difficult. We made sure to get to Seattle in mid-July so that we would have plenty of time to find housing, sightsee, and settle in before school started…but nothing really prepares you for the transition. The first quarter specifically is really demanding and a big change…and not just for your student. They are facing a lot of pressure to be part of every club, do well on every project, have a social life, and still make time for you. For me, going to events like Pub Club, Blue Dot Happy Hours, TGs, and tailgates helped me meet other students and Blue Dots. They also helped me understand that we weren’t the only couple having a tough time with the transition.

Τhe MBA program is time intensive for students: how have you and your significant other found balance?
Finding time to spend together is crucial and we weren’t so great with it at first. Each week his schedule would be different and I was dealing with a really busy time with work; all while trying to plan our wedding. Eventually we realized that if we could just have 20 minutes where we relaxed and did something together like walk the dog, watch a show, or eat a quick dinner, that was enough. Now it’s gotten a lot better and we find a lot more time for each other, but it’s good to remember that it won’t always be this crazy. The hard work will pay off for them in school, and for you in your patience and support.

Equally important…don’t forget to make time for yourself! After first quarter was over, I realized I was just as drained as my student. I was trying to be overly helpful and focusing more on what his needs were at any given moment and forgetting to attend to my own happiness. Don’t get me wrong, I was having a blast with the Foster community and making lots of great new friends, but I had completely neglected the other things that sustained me before. To find that balance I joined a gym with another Blue Dot, started making a conscious effort to eat better, and made time for myself. In the long run I’m happier and a better support for my student.

How are you involved with the Foster Blue Dots? What type of activities do you do?
I’ve been attending many Blue Dot events since we moved to Seattle. The events I mostly go to have been happy hours or dinners, but I know many are in a book club together. Currently myself and a few other involved Blue Dots are trying to come up with a calendar of events for this upcoming summer and next fall. Often it’s tough to get together on the fly during the week, so we’re thinking of doing planned events to involve the larger group. Right now peddle pub, wine tasting in Woodinville, and paddle boarding are on the list. Any suggestions for activities from existing or future Blue Dots are strongly encouraged! Anyone can plan an event and post to the Facebook wall to share.

Any advice for future Blue Dots?
Get involved! Just because you’re not the student, it doesn’t mean that your involvement is not wanted or encouraged by the Foster community. Blue Dots often take part in student events hosted by the school including speaking events, volunteering through Challenge for Charity (C4C), TGs, Pub Club, Husky tailgates, and school organized trips. Take full advantage of this time and the fun it offers. As a result, you’ll get to see a lot more of your student, better understand what they’re going through, and have a great time.

Go Huskies! (Says the Minnesota Grad)

Guest post by Mattie Winistorfer, 2016 Blue Dot and Graphic Designer. We are all excited for her upcoming wedding in the Fall! For more on the Blue Dots, see their MBAA website or read other blog posts by Blue Dots here.
Manager
Manager
What was your favorite elective, and why?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 09:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: What was your favorite elective, and why?
Here at Foster, we have a variety of elective classes that we can take, but there’s not enough time for them all! However, there are some elective classes that everyone seems to love. Several members of the Full-Time Class of 2015 gave us the inside scoop on their favorites:

Olivia Wang, Class of 2015:
There are lots of great classes that I’ve taken. I learned the most from Stearn’s Advertising and Promotions class, and took two finance electives with Koski that I very much enjoyed. But my absolute favorite class would have to be Mark Forehand’s Brand Management class. He used visuals and vivid examples to turn boring academic terms into something extremely memorable. He also gave assignments as live cases where students would gain hands-on experience through recent cases and in front of reputable guest judges. Moreover we were able to hear from great guest speakers in class…did I also mention that Mark is hilarious? Tips for students who want to get into his class: bid as many of your points as possible, or you can always take it in the evening. It was a lot of fun for me to take the class with evening students and get to know them! 3.5 hours fly by very quickly, and I got pretty emotional after the last presentation.

Harshad Deo, Class of 2015:
I have a couple of favorite electives – Koski’s classes (both Problems in Corporate Finance and Problems in Capital Investment Planning), and Mark Forehand’s Brand Management class. While students like to focus on one particular subject, I took a variety of different electives. One of the reasons why I chose Foster was to have a holistic business experience rather than specialize in one business function.

Koski has a very structured approach to her classes. She explains her subject in such a way that it is very easy for a non-finance person to grasp. With numerous awards in her kit, it is easy to see why she remains one of the favorite professors.

Forehand’s Brand Management class is brilliant because of his easy humor. Not everyone in the class will be a brand manager, but his teaching style and project assignments expand on the marketing fundamentals and makes the subject relatable to the students.

Nick Amland, Class of 2015:
My favorite elective was actually called “Competing in the Global Economy,” taught by Kathryn Dewenter. The class focused on how companies interact in the global context and how policies at the global, regional, and country level shape how those companies can compete and interact with each other. It was a purely case-based class, a format I have really come to respect when it is taught in the right way. She did a terrific job at engaging the class and forcing discussion from each member. Exhaustive preparation from everyone was strictly enforced through cold calling. As a result, this was the healthiest and most successful discussion-oriented class I have ever taken.

For more information on the electives that we can take, click here.
Manager
Manager
Introducing the New 2015-2016 Social Media Coordinator!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2015, 07:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Introducing the New 2015-2016 Social Media Coordinator!
It’s my pleasure to introduce the new Social Media Coordinator for the Foster Full Time MBA Program, Roberto Molina! He’s a first-year MBA (Class of 2016) and originally hails from Mexico City. We had a great time on the same study team in Winter Quarter together. Read on for more about Roberto!

What was your Pre-MBA Profession?
Before coming to Foster, I worked at Dannon doing market research for all the brands in the company. I made sure that the voice of the consumer was taken into account when making business decisions regarding any feature of the product or the brand.

What do you want to do after your MBA?
After my MBA I want to continue to work in marketing, to grow a business by making decisions that are aligned with customer needs and managing their expectations.

What led you to pursue an MBA?
I wanted to fully transition to marketing, grow in my career, and gain a better understanding of how the different areas of a company come together towards a business goal.

Why did you choose Foster?
I decided to come to Foster because of the quality of the program and the people. During the Admitted Student Welcome Weekend, I was able to experience the quality of the professors and the engagement of the students in a real class. I was also able to interact with many students inside and outside the classroom, which made me realize that I would be a good fit for Foster (and that Foster would be a good fit for me).

Why did you want to get involved as an Admissions Coordinator?
The help that I received from the A-team during (and before) my admission process was invaluable. They were really interested in answering all my questions from a personal and professional point of view and I felt that it’s something that I just had to help with for the future generation of Fosterites.

What has been your most valuable academic experience at Foster?
The team projects have been the most valuable experiences for me. I have learned so much from the different backgrounds and points of view of my classmates.

What is the most valuable lesson you have learned at Foster so far?
For me, it would be the importance of networking. It turns out that networking is not as bad as I once thought, and I have experienced how even small efforts at networking can unexpectedly take you very far. It all made sense to me when I made a random comment to a classmate about my interest in internships at tech companies like Adobe. A few weeks later, this classmate sent me an email making me aware that Adobe had posted MBA internship opportunities. Long story short, I applied to Adobe and I got the internship. This is just one form of networking, but it certainly proved its importance. Had I not commented on my interests to this classmate, I wouldn’t have known about the Adobe internship posting and my internship may have been completely different.

What are your summer plans?
I will be interning at Adobe Systems in San Jose as Strategist for SMB Customer Acquisition.

Roberto at last year’s Halloween TG! Find out more about Roberto on LinkedIn or by following the UW Foster MBA Program Facebook site!
Manager
Manager
The summit is only the halfway point: thoughts on the first year of th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 22:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: The summit is only the halfway point: thoughts on the first year of the MBA
A few short weeks ago, the MBA class of 2016 breathed a collective sigh of relief as the last final was turned in, we had our end of year celebrations, and said our farewells to the graduating class of 2015. The class of 2015 is now transitioning into their post-MBA careers, and the class of 2016 is already starting their summer internships. We are now officially “second-years.”

For anyone looking to embark on their own MBA journey, here are my thoughts on the first year:

New Careers
As a career changer, this last year has been huge. This experience has opened up new opportunities that were previously closed when I left the Air Force. Part of this is because of the networking opportunities from alumni, peers, and the MBA program’s career management office…but the other reason is because the MBA is an inflection point in your career and an opportunity to gain new skills. These new skills and new ways of thinking allow you to know more about business challenges and find ways to overcome them. This also helps you look back at your career and gives you deeper insight into your past successes and failures, which in turn helps you tell your story and learn from your past.

In other words, the MBA program helps open new doors through the network, and the knowledge you gain helps you walk through them.

New Challenges
This year was incredibly intense from a time management standpoint. We were warned that the first quarter would be the most intense, but I would say that each quarter had its own unique challenges. Fall quarter was rough because of the number of team assignments in the core curriculum, and because of all the extracurricular activities. Winter quarter was tough because you needed to balance the internship search on top of the core curriculum and team assignments. However, Spring quarter was the most time-intensive. In addition to the coursework and team assignments, we also had to juggle multiple long-term commitments, like club leadership, entrepreneurship competitions, paid work, and independent study (consulting) projects.

The lesson I learned out of all of this is that you will always be busy during every waking hour. Everyone gets the same 24-hour day, so have a strategy on how you’re going to spend it. You’ll have to make tradeoffs. You could spend all your time focusing on your career, but suffer academically or neglect your club leadership position. Or you could spend every waking hour on writing the perfect essay, and skip out on peer networking events or neglect your family. You want to do everything equally well, but it’s just not possible. You gotta make tradeoffs!

New Friends
There’s nothing like a shared experience or challenge to bring people together. This MBA class has people from all over the world, from a diverse set of backgrounds and histories. We’re all here to get an MBA together, and it’s not hard to find a group of people that you connect with. I love connecting with people through the outdoors, and there are so many destinations and miniature adventures within driving distance of campus…and after a year, we’ve been yearning to leave our little MBA universe in PACCAR Hall for a spell.

Several weeks ago, I had the pleasure of hiking to the top of Mount St. Helens with a small group of friends, and got to peer inside an active volcano. The hike wasn’t easy, but the view was amazing. These are good moments. We are living in the good old days.

The summit is just the halfway point, but it’s a great spot to take a breather and admire the view. We’re halfway through this MBA program, and it’s remarkable to see how far we’ve come in such a short time. Congratulations to the Class of 2015 on your graduation, cheers to the Class of 2016 at the halfway point, and bring on the incoming Class of 2017!

Nelson Tang, Class of 2016, is an Air Force Veteran and is excited to be working at Nike for his summer internship! For more about Nelson, follow him on www.nelsontang.com.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 11:41
The MBA Recruiting Process – Insights from Darden ’15 Grad and CEO of RelishMBA

Hello from the RelishMBA team, and congratulations on being admitted to the MBA Class of 2017! My name is Sarah, and I’m a recent Darden School of Business graduate who founded RelishMBA, an online recruiting platform built specifically for the business school recruiting market. As a recent grad who works full-time in the MBA recruitment space, I wanted to share some recruiting advice and tips to help you prepare for arriving on campus at Foster.

The first thing to be aware of is that MBA recruiting is a long and intense process. Recruiting activities begin quickly once you’re on campus and they take up a huge amount of your time and energy for most of your first year. While virtually all top MBA students have great jobs available to them, finding those jobs can be frustrating and stressful, with relevant information often hard to find and a complex networking process that can be tough to effectively manage. I started RelishMBA to address these problems and make the process more efficient for both students and employers.

The summer is a great time to get started with recruiting processes (while you don’t have to worry about school, student clubs, social life, and the dozens of other activities that fill up your time during first year). Luckily, there are a few things you can do to prepare before school starts in August: Relax. Explore. Prepare.

Relax – business school is a big change from the working world; take a bit of time off. You deserve it and you’ll need the break!

Explore – In your time relaxing, begin checking out what industries and companies recruit MBAs. This is something RelishMBA helps with. Sign-up at RelishMBA.com to begin exploring employer’s company pages on MBA Careers specific for your school (“day in the life” alumni testimonials, on-campus presence, key points of contact, etc.).

Prepare – And lastly, get your resume ready. Below are some tips from my experience.
It’s also important to remember that once you’re on campus, you’ll be networking with recruiters and alumni frequently – and RelishMBA will help you here too, through relationship management tools that make it easy to stay on top of your networking game. Have any questions? Reach out anytime at recruit@relishmba.com.

Resume Tips:

1) Writing your resume is your first Marketing assignment

Your resume is essentially a one-page advertisement designed to sell your brand to employers. But as your first year marketing class will tell you, marketing is about a lot more than just a fancy design and a few well-placed buzzwords. Think about your audience (i.e. who will be reading your resume? Finance recruiters? Consultants? Marketers? Others?) and how you are positioning yourself with that audience (i.e. what work experiences would be most relevant or interesting to the recruiters reading your resume?).

For example, if you’re headed up to Wall Street, focus on the more quantitatively rigorous parts of your work experience, and try to make sure that your resume as a whole reflects an interest in and passion for finance and its associated disciplines. Future consultants will want to highlight problem-solving and analytical thinking. Marketers could talk about leading cross-functional teams or point out examples of especially effective communication.

And if you are not sure what you want to do, don’t sweat it – there are lots of you out there, and it’s no big deal for the next few weeks or months. But regardless of your eventual industry or function targets, remember: your resume is not just a chronicle of your past work achievements; it is an advertisement designed to effectively sell you and your brand to recruiters.

2) Be concise but specific

This is one of the more difficult parts of honing your resume: providing specific examples of relevant work accomplishments in a way that a recruiter can easily digest in a few seconds. Try starting each bullet point with a strong action word. Instead of saying something like “Helped to more than double sales during tenure in catchment area,” try something like “Launched blogger outreach program that increased web traffic by 72% and increased sales by 120%”.

These sorts of hard numbers are really helpful, especially since many recruiters will spend only a few seconds looking at your resume and those numbers stand out on the page. So it’s also important to be sure that your bullet points can be read and processed easily. And if you don’t have a lot of specific numbers to add to your resume, it’s still important to be specific about your accomplishments and to pick your words wisely.

3) Add some flair

You should be careful with how much flair you add to your resume, but it’s a good idea to think of ways to set yourself apart from the competition. The “Personal” section at the bottom of your resume, where you list hobbies, activities, and interests, is an easy place to hook a recruiter (or break the ice in an interview). Only mention things that are truly a part of your life, but still consider your audience and which of your hobbies or experiences might be of interest to the recruiters reading your resumes. Once you reach campus, you’ll hear plenty of stories about students who were able to land first or even second-round interviews largely on the basis of what seem like minor resume items.

Other ways to add flair:

-Were you kind of a big deal in college? It’s worthwhile to mention any particularly important or impressive extracurriculars from your undergrad days (particularly leadership roles), and including club affiliations and other school-specific positions can be a good idea once you get onto campus

-Recruiters are looking to hire real people, not business robots. Make sure your resume – the accomplishments you choose to mention, the structure and content of the Personal section – reflects your personality.

4) Don’t be careless

This is the part where we tell you that a few people every year submit resumes with misspelled words or mismatched fonts or other significant but easily avoidable mistakes, and that you could be one of those people if you’re not careful, and you think “I’d never be that much of an idiot,” and then you send your resume to McKinsey or Google with your name spelled wrong at the top. Don’t be that person.
Seriously, just get a friend to read it. Several friends. Have a resume-reading party. But don’t spell your name wrong.

Have any questions? Reach out anytime at recruit@relishmba.com

Sincerely,
RelishMBA Team

RelishMBA is a centralized recruiting platform designed to streamline how students at top business school connect with the companies that recruit them. With filtered search tools and customizable profile pages, students and recruiters can find and target candidates and firms with the best fit. Access all of your school’s recruiting resources from one platform and easily track your networking relationships. An exclusive network for MBAs, Career Services, and Employers.
Manager
Manager
Foster C4C Sports Weekend 2015 Recap: Go Dawgs!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 13:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Foster C4C Sports Weekend 2015 Recap: Go Dawgs!
Challenge for Charity (C4C) is a MBA student-led non-profit organization that brings together nine West Coast Business Schools to support the Special Olympics, Boys and Girls Clubs, and local charities. Their signature event is the annual C4C Sports Weekend in Palo Alto. It’s an awesome time and one of the most cherished memories for many Foster MBA students. It’s my pleasure to introduce Erin Poulter, one the outgoing Challenge For Charity (C4C) co-presidents, who provides some great insight on what it was like to be at the C4C Sports Weekend this year!

That magical time of year was here again…Challenge for Charity Sports Weekend! 200 Dawgs (and Dawg supporters) made the trip to Palo Alto to participate in what is unanimously known as an MBA experience no Dawg can miss.

We kicked off Friday afternoon with softball, soccer, and football. People in purple attire were scattered around the Stanford campus cheering on their friends. It turned out to be an exciting evening for UW, with Jim Howes taking the crown in the Spelling Bee and Meredith Sciarrio and Hartley Riedner’s choreography to Uptown Funk bringing down the house. A little while later, UW stormed the court as the men’s basketball team (captained by Graham Mills) won the B league. This led to a Dawg procession to watch the final round of the trivia competition, where the UW team of Jared Wilkins, Scott Knackstedt, Libby Waterbury, Rick Hendricks, and Greg Seals, took home first place!

]3 Men’s B-league Basketball Champs!

Saturday started early and was filled with fun, sports, and companionship. Co-ed softball, captained by Ryan Bedwell, took first place and a celebratory jump in the hotel pool!

]4 Softball champs!

Ultimate frisbee, led by Jessi Green, Vince Kearns, James Truitt, and Ben Troop, also placed first, which was sweet revenge for last year’s loss.

]5 Your 2015 C4C Weekend Frisbee Champs!

Dawgs could be found sitting in the grass and watching cricket or crowded around the beach volleyball courts. In the evening, Death Spiral (the Foster MBA band) brought down the house, with upbeat tunes and guest appearances from the Sax Man and Michael Jackson.

]6 Death Spiral, the Foster MBA band bringing down the house

Despite coming in a close second to USC (UW won volunteer hours and USC won fundraising and sports), UW MBAs lived it up in Palo Alto. Whether on campus cheering and playing sports, at the pool with drinks and on floats, or partying it up downtown, the weekend was a time for celebration. This year the MBA classes raised over $118,000 and contributed over 3,000 volunteer hours to the Special Olympics of Washington and Boys and Girls Clubs of King County. Overall, many memories were made and the fire was lit to inspire next year’s cohorts to work even harder to bring home the coveted Golden Briefcase. Go Dawgs!

About the Author:
Prior to Erin’s enrollment in the Foster MBA program, she was a member of the New Orleans 2009 Teach for America corps. Erin taught special education in a K-8 charter school for two years and then spent two more years as the operations manager at the same school. Her concentration at Foster is in marketing. She is originally from New Jersey and received her BA in psychology from Colgate University, where she was also a 4 year Division 1 lacrosse player. For more on Erin Poulter, you can reach out to her via LinkedIn. To learn more about UW’s Challenge for Charity club, click here!
Manager
Manager
Introducing: Marcus Dover, our new Diversity Initiatives Coordinator!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 08:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Introducing: Marcus Dover, our new Diversity Initiatives Coordinator!
It’s my pleasure to introduce Marcus Dover (Class of 2016), our new Diversity Initiatives Coordinator for 2015-2016! Prior to the MBA, Marcus was in Accounting and Finance, and hopes to go into Marketing or Strategy. He’s also a huge 49ers fan and is active in the Foster Marketing Association, Diversity in Business, and many other clubs! Image
Marcus Dover, Class of 2016

What led you to pursue an MBA?
I decided to pursue an MBA because I wanted to switch gears and do something completely different with my career. I was no longer interested in accounting, but also wasn’t quite sure what type of career I was interested in pursuing. I knew an MBA would allow me to explore new career possibilities while gaining a new skill set that would allow me to successfully make the switch.

Why did you choose Foster?
There were a number of factors in my decision, my wife and I wanted to stay on the west coast, Seattle is much more affordable than San Francisco (our previous home), Foster has a great reputation and ties to a thriving business community, and I’ve always loved the city of Seattle (not counting the Seahawks). The one thing that really sealed the deal for me was the people. The people at Foster, from the students to the administration, went out of their way to make me feel welcome during the application and decision process.  

Why did you want to get involved as an Admissions Coordinator?
I wanted to get involved because I’m interested in increasing the diversity (in all forms) of the student body at Foster and I wanted to be a part of the solution. I also wanted to help provide the same experience for prospective students that I received when I was applying to Foster. 

What has been your most valuable academic experience at Foster?
I would have to say the Japan Study Tour has been my most valuable experience so far. It was a practical learning experience, where I was able to apply some of the case studies and principles learned in class to actual businesses on the other side of the world. My favorite company visit was the Toyota factory where we were able to see Toyota’s lean manufacturing system in action.

What is the most valuable lesson you have learned at Foster so far?
I’ve learned how to push myself in situations where I’m not comfortable or in subject areas that have historically been weaknesses. 

Summer Plans?
I will be interning at T-Mobile as a Product Manager Intern in Digital Messaging.

If you want to learn more about Marcus or contact him, connect with him on LinkedIn or reach out via the MBA ambassador program at mbalink@uw.edu. If you’re interested in finding out more about the study tour program, check out Peter Kazarian’s writeup of the Japan Study Tour here or the UW Global Business Center!
GMAT Club Bot
Introducing: Marcus Dover, our new Diversity Initiatives Coordinator!   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2015, 08:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   [ 436 posts ] 

Calling all UW-Foster Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status