Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Wharton vs. reapply to HBS/Stanford [#permalink]
Thanks for the responses guys!

highwyre: I think I'd have a better chance next year for a few reasons - a bit older, more (relevant) work experience & also a lot of people from my company were applying this year. I also think I could have done a much better job at the Stanford story & HBS interview (I can't follow that link as don't subscribe - what is the gist)

CobraKai:

#1&2 - Understood! I appreciate that trying again might mean I get nothing. If its a risk that has a 50/50 chance of paying off I'd take it though

#3 OK I'll tone down 'Wharton doesn't have a big rep' a bit! Essentially having looked at the courses, spoke to alums etc I think HBS & SGSB are much more in line with what I want to get out of an MBA. HBS delivers 10x more than the other 2 on rep, and Stanford's curriculum is much more in line with what I'm looking for. Applying to Wharton was a bit of a marginal decision, but nonetheless I'll definitely go to the admit weekend & check it out.

#4 - LBS / a European school isn't an option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
everton wrote:
#1&2 - Understood! I appreciate that trying again might mean I get nothing. If its a risk that has a 50/50 chance of paying off I'd take it though

Seeing how GSB accepts ~6% and HBS ~12%, it's far from a 50/50 chance. Also, as a re-applicant you'll need to be prepared to show how you've become a better candidate since they'll have this year's application on file.

everton wrote:

#4 - LBS / a European school isn't an option

Just curious as to why? Not enough rep as HBS and GSB? Not sure what your goals are post-MBA, but just be aware there are programs outside of HBS and GSB that can help you reach your goals.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, though! It's quite an achievement to get into Wharton!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
everton wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys!

highwyre: I think I'd have a better chance next year for a few reasons - a bit older, more (relevant) work experience & also a lot of people from my company were applying this year. I also think I could have done a much better job at the Stanford story & HBS interview (I can't follow that link as don't subscribe - what is the gist)

Ah, sorry didnt realize you needed to subscribe to read that one, nevermind.

Either way, will you be unhappy at Wharton? will you always wonder what if? If so, ok... don't go and try again. Do I personally think you are crazy? yes.

I doubt 1 year will change your chances much. Simply 1 year of experience (without a sweet promotion) probably wont matter.

Just curious, how close did you get to H/S? Were you interviewed?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah I think that is essentially the crux of it - I feel would look back on it with regret if I didn't try again (slightly crazy I appreciate...). Obviously its a great position to be in though & I'm not knocking Wharton as a school!

Quite a lot has changed already since I wrote my application (will have spent 9 months on secondment at a client by the summer, with higher level of responsibility than in consulting) so I'm hoping that would make a difference.

I got an interview at HBS, not at Stanford.

re: #4 - a big draw for me is going to a US school. By staying somewhere I know well (London) I'd be missing out on quite an essential part of the MBA (widening horizons & network, new culture, etc). I've covered half of the academic part in my undergrad/work training already & would be able to enter into my preferred industry without an MBA (which in reality is what I will most likely do if I don't choose Wharton).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
everton wrote:
Yeah I think that is essentially the crux of it - I feel would look back on it with regret if I didn't try again (slightly crazy I appreciate...). Obviously its a great position to be in though & I'm not knocking Wharton as a school!

Quite a lot has changed already since I wrote my application (will have spent 9 months on secondment at a client by the summer, with higher level of responsibility than in consulting) so I'm hoping that would make a difference.

I got an interview at HBS, not at Stanford.

re: #4 - a big draw for me is going to a US school. By staying somewhere I know well (London) I'd be missing out on quite an essential part of the MBA (widening horizons & network, new culture, etc). I've covered half of the academic part in my undergrad/work training already & would be able to enter into my preferred industry without an MBA (which in reality is what I will most likely do if I don't choose Wharton).

Well, I think you answered your own question. Reassess after the welcome weekend, but it's your choice.

Just don't make this decision as if it's Wharton this year VS H/S next year. Your decision is really Wharton this year vs no MBA + a glimmer of hope at H/S next year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah I'll make sure to see the campus etc before its final

Thanks for the advice - & agree with you - its more likely than not its no MBA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Just something I'd mention:

Without a good promotion or title change, your chances may actually be worse next year than they were this year. I know you mentioned you took on some new responsibilities this year, which is good to mention. However, if you're making the same salary (roughly) and have the same title that you did last year, it may not be enough.

What I mean is, if you had 2 promotions in 2 years, that is pretty impressive. You apply to schools, dont get in, decide to re-apply. Now you've had 2 promotions in 3 years, which is less impressive. That's just something to consider, maybe it doesn't apply to your case if the changes you've made at work are substantial.

You should also consider how friendly each program is to re-applicants. Stanford indicates 'reapplicants are at no disadvantage for having applied and been rejected' which I would tend to interpret as 'certainly no advantage, and possibly a slight disadvantage despite what we just said'. I think HBS may be more favorable towards re-applicants, but don't quote me on that.

For next year, you should decide whether it's "HBS or bust" or HBS or Stanford or bust", because you mention that you feel HBS rep is 10x that or Stanford/Penn, and that Stanford's curriculum is in line with your interests. But which one is more important to you? If next year you get denied at HBS but admitted at Stanford (or vice versa), are you going to be happy at Stanford? Or are you going to be in the same position again.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
Just a few comments that may help you make your decision:

Wharton does have a great global reputation. I worked for Bain in London after graduation and many of my classmates ended up at top tier UK and Euro firms.
If you turn down Wharton this year and re-apply next year -- do not expect them to welcome your application. They know that you are playing them so they would most probably play you.
HBS and Stanford do not like to admit they made mistakes in their admissions process -- so re-applying your chances would not be that great. If you do re-apply, your candidacy would have to be different from the last one that you submitted. What you submitted did not work.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
A girl in my Wharton interview group told us after the interview that she had been admitted the previous year but decided not to go. This year she was dinged. Don't assume that Wharton will be a "bird in hand" during next year's application cycle. In my opinion the girl was kind of assuming that she'd get in again and it showed in her attitude and lack of preparation for the interview. It's a real possibility that you reapply next year and don't get in anywhere.

Ultimately, this crazy process comes down a lot to luck (how many applicants total, how many from your industry/company, who interviews you, etc.) - you might get in to H/S next year and be the happiest person in the world that you waited, but it's equally likely that you'll be on the forums this time next year bemoaning your decision to forego one of the best business schools in the world (clearly, I have a biased opinion :)). Just go into Welcome Weekend with eyes wide open.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
I'd like to revisit this and thank you all for the advice.

As an update: I did turn down Wharton in 2013, changed job and reapplied to H + S this year. I was admitted to both this week.

Feeling incredibly lucky to be in this position, and incredibly glad I followed my heart and not my head!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
efc1 wrote:
As an update: I did turn down Wharton in 2013, changed job and reapplied to H + S this year. I was admitted to both this week.

Feeling incredibly lucky to be in this position, and incredibly glad I followed my heart and not my head!

Congratulations!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.25
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
efc1 wrote:
I'd like to revisit this and thank you all for the advice.

I'm speechless
Good job and congratulations efc1
No wonder Stanford and HBS admitted you
Question now: HBS or Stanford?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you!

That's the million dollar question I guess. My gut feeling is HBS, but I'll think it out over a few Christmas beers. Both schools would be a dream come true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
can you please share your profile?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hibye wrote:

I'll pm it to you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
efc1 wrote:
hibye wrote:

I'll pm it to you

could you pm it to me as well?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
efc1,

Congratulations! Did you already take your decision? (Mine would be the GSB) :)

Can you btw pm me your profile as well? I'm looking forward to an application in R1 2015! Thanks you!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts