Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q169 V165
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kenan-Flagler Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
TheFloridian wrote:
What you say is interesting though-- is it a common occurrence that applicants will be wait listed for having higher than normal stats? I suppose that would make sense to keep acceptance rates down, but I didn't know that was a thing.

There are stories of this happening, but it is not a common occurrence. Basically the schools don't want to take a hit to their matriculation rate, so if they think they have no chance at getting you to actually attend the school, and that you are only applying as a safety, you might get a waitlist or something. If you have done your homework and can talk about the school and everything you like about it, and can honestly say you would like to go there, you won't get the dreaded WL.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kenan-Flagler Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys !! I'm in for Round 1 as well..... worked as a merchant mariner for 5 years with a major shipping company. Good luck to everyone here ..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
TheFloridian wrote:
What you say is interesting though-- is it a common occurrence that applicants will be wait listed for having higher than normal stats? I suppose that would make sense to keep acceptance rates down, but I didn't know that was a thing.

There are stories of this happening, but it is not a common occurrence. Basically the schools don't want to take a hit to their matriculation rate, so if they think they have no chance at getting you to actually attend the school, and that you are only applying as a safety, you might get a waitlist or something. If you have done your homework and can talk about the school and everything you like about it, and can honestly say you would like to go there, you won't get the dreaded WL.

My take on this: I would add that schools out of the top 10/M7 are not as wary of their yield as schools that top the rankings.

Besides, with a background like TheFloridian (outside the common consulting/IB batch), it'll be easier to show fit and why you want to attend a particular school. With your stats, at most of the schools you are targeting, I'd say that instead of being thrown to the waitlist, there would be a positive side effect, which would be a lot of $$$ along with the offer of admission if you are able to show that each school is your #1 choice. These schools would want to lure you in instead of protecting their yield.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheFloridian wrote:
kheown wrote:
Welcome TheFloridian !

Would you mind sharing a little bit of your background? With a 770 GMAT and a 3.62 GPA you might have to try really hard to convince some of your schools that you really want to attend if you want them to offer you admissions instead of putting you on the waitlist.

Thanks and good luck as the UNC KF Thread Master!

kheown

Thanks kheown!

My background is in marketing for a Fortune 500 firm in the construction sector. I started as a Marketing Analyst 2.5 years ago and was promoted into a marketing management role 1 year ago i.e. I will have 3.5 years of W/E at matriculation. I attended a top state university for my undergrad and I have done well on my GMAT/GPA. I want to go into CPG brand management after graduation.

I have taken a more tactical approach to selecting the schools to which I'm applying. I have narrowed my list down to just 5 schools and I honestly see myself as a fit at all 5. Why waste time applying to a school I wouldn't attend? I know each school very well and have visited 3, soon to be 4, out of the 5. I'm taking quite a few factors into consideration in addition to just ranking-- especially since I am going into CPG, not consulting/banking. Each school has its own unique selling points that come into play for me e.g. companies that recruit on campus, regional/functional placement stats, professors, cultural fit, location, student caliber, alumni network, etc. I really do want to attend all 5 schools, so I don't expect to have a problem selling each of the schools on the fact that I earnestly want to attend.

Applying to fewer schools also means I can spend more time refining my essays for each school; the essays are where I am really emphasizing "fit".

Thanks for the detailed info and good luck prepping the applications! :-D

Are you applying to all 5 schools in R1? I'm targeting 5 in R1 as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
siamr wrote:
Hi guys !! I'm in for Round 1 as well..... worked as a merchant mariner for 5 years with a major shipping company. Good luck to everyone here ..

Welcome to the thread, siamr. What are your aspirations post-MBA? And what has led you to apply to KF?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kheown wrote:
Are you applying to all 5 schools in R1? I'm targeting 5 in R1 as well.

I'm applying to Kellogg and Ross in R1 and Kenan-Flagler, Goizueta, and Owen in R2. The way the overlap works between the deposit deadlines I'll get to know R1 and R2 results concurrently for all but Owen.

I didn't want to apply to Kenan-Flagler Early Action, because 1) I felt like I would lessen my chance of a scholarship from Kenan-Flagler and 2) I didn't want to rule out attending another school that offers me a scholarship if KF does not offer anything.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Now that I say that.. What does everyone else think about UNC's "Early Action" round? Are you treating it as they say: "You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC Kenan-Flagler." Or not so much?

Thoughts?

This post from 2017's thread is making me second guess my strategy:
MBAChosen wrote:
MBAChosen wrote:
Would all applications at other schools be withdrawn right away if you got accepted in the early action round? Would it be right away on the decision date, which is 15 December?

I decided to confirm with the admission committee and this is the answer to our question;

For Early Action, you'll have to pay a non-refundable deposit of $2,500 when you accept our admissions offer. If you decide to attend a different school after that time, you will only lose the deposit. You will have up until Jan 5th to accept the admissions offer and pay the deposit. We ask you be confident you want to come to UNC but have no way of holding you to it (except for the deposit).

Hope it clear for all of us :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
TheFloridian wrote:
Now that I say that.. What does everyone else think about UNC's "Early Action" round? Are you treating it as they say: "You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC Kenan-Flagler." Or not so much?

Thoughts?

MBAChosen wrote:
MBAChosen wrote:
Would all applications at other schools be withdrawn right away if you got accepted in the early action round? Would it be right away on the decision date, which is 15 December?

I decided to confirm with the admission committee and this is the answer to our question;

For Early Action, you'll have to pay a non-refundable deposit of $2,500 when you accept our admissions offer. If you decide to attend a different school after that time, you will only lose the deposit. You will have up until Jan 5th to accept the admissions offer and pay the deposit. We ask you be confident you want to come to UNC but have no way of holding you to it (except for the deposit).

It definitely isn't polite to apply EA with the intention of maybe going somewhere else. I guess maybe word could get out that you reneged on your commitment to UNC? A number of these schools are big on their honor codes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheFloridian wrote:

Thoughts?

MBAChosen wrote:
MBAChosen wrote:

How can you be confident enough if you don't know the details of the rest of admission offers? What if you apply to KF and you are admitted with no money, but a school that you are attracted to just as much offers you admission + full ride scholarship? If this were to be the case, KF would be discouraged to offer money to any candidate applying EA. This round isn't binding as in Duke or Columbia, but you'd still have to be certain that KF is definitely one of your very few top choices, and that you'd attend if admitted under most case scenarios.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.92
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Kenan Flagler August 21st Open House

Hey everyone. Is anyone of you planning to attend the August 21st Open House at Chapel Hill? If you are, please let me know. It would be nice to meet up with possible future classmates!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.92
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:

You'll probably all get tired of be before this is all over. ;) To make it a little more entertaining, I'll try to post photos from time to time.

I think we will appreciate all the details we can get :D.

I am still as excited as ever about the program, and will be attending the August Open House in Chapel Hill. It would be great if we could connect for a brief chat. Would love to learn more about the program, campus, and student life. Please let me know if you have any availability on Thursday, August 21st or Friday, August 22nd for a 15-30 minute conversation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
It definitely isn't polite to apply EA with the intention of maybe going somewhere else. I guess maybe word could get out that you reneged on your commitment to UNC? A number of these schools are big on their honor codes.

kheown wrote:
How can you be confident enough if you don't know the details of the rest of admission offers? What if you apply to KF and you are admitted with no money, but a school that you are attracted to just as much offers you admission + full ride scholarship? If this were to be the case, KF would be discouraged to offer money to any candidate applying EA. This round isn't binding as in Duke or Columbia, but you'd still have to be certain that KF is definitely one of your very few top choices, and that you'd attend if admitted under most case scenarios.

alwayswaiting and kheown,

Out of curiosity, I ran the numbers on last year’s GMATClubbers who applied Early Action to Kenan-Flagler. Shockingly, almost 80% of the usable sample of accepted EA students (10 out of 13) did not matriculate to Kenan-Flagler. You can see the results below.

Whether it is impolite to apply Early Action and still consider other schools, I don’t know, but the data suggests the Kenan-Flagler Early Action policy was not taken seriously by several admits last year.

I still can see both sides of it and am not sure which side I agree with...

It's like our sick time policy at work. Our company policy documents explicitly state that paid sick time is not to be used for vacation. However, after noticing that more than a few people in our company do use sick time for vacation, I asked our Benefits Manager, "What's the deal?" She leaned in and said something like, "You're right, that's what the policy says. But it's fiiiiine if you want to use your sick time for vacation go right ahead feel free to; no one is going to stop you. We can't really enforce that." Even though she told me that, I still don't use sick time for vacation because I feel like it's breaking the rules.

Overall, my opinion is--- if there are going to be rules, they need to be either strongly enforced or eliminated. There's nothing worse than a flimsy rule that 80% of people break. It gives me so much cognitive dissonance! :???

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I agree. There is no middle ground here. There are EAs that are binding and you shouldn't commit to 2 of those at the same time, and there are other EAs that are nonbinding and set clear rules, such as a bigger deposit or tighter decision deadlines, but they shouldn't ask for something that they are not enforcing. The results of that policy are those of any other nonbinding EA, as you showed.

Having said that, I still think that applying EA is in the applicant's advantage, since it lets you show a bit more commitment to the school. Plus, if you are after a scholarship, they'll have all the funds available at EA/R1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great article posted yesterday on P&Q: Kenan-Flagler's Admissions Director Sherry Wallace gives some insight into UNC's application review process

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/08/17/th ... n-flagler/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Update August 19:
Today we get our Career Mentors, who are second year students that guide us through writing resumes and cover letters, applying to jobs, interviewing, and anything else to obtain a successful outcome from business school.
Our first case write up is due tomorrow. The write-up is an individual assignment, but we are permitted to discuss overall thoughts and strategies about the case with our classmates. Most people have been meeting the past couple days with their study groups to discuss the case.
This weekend is the scavenger hunt. The Legacies compete with each other and get points at the end based on scoring criteria. I am hyper competitive so I'm very excited about this.

Bonus: Photo from orientation where we built bikes for some young scholars in our community. Photo credit - UNC MBA Community Facebook Page
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Tips for maximizing career and life success

During orientation, Markus Saba (MBA ’93), senior director of global commercialization for Lilly Diabetes at Eli Lilly and Company, addressed the Full-Time MBA Class of 2016. He offered very practical advice that, if heeded, will position students to maximize their MBA experience. Here are my takeaways:

Hold yourself accountable for achieving your goals by writing them down.

My professional background is in PR and communications, so I am no stranger to curating and completing a to-do list. However, I had not previously taken the time to explore the significance of maintaining a list, except as a mechanism to keep myself organized.

Mr. Saba extoled the practice of writing down your goals, indicating that it ultimately makes you more likely to fulfill them and predisposes you toward career success. He made me realize that the implicit value in writing things down is the sense of accountability it creates. A simple task, idea or even a lofty goal becomes both tangible and achievable once you can visualize it, and thus you feel obliged to go after it.

Involve others in your short term and long-term planning process.

Mr. Saba also indicated that the career and personal benefits derived from involving others in your planning process can be significant. After countless sessions with UNC Kenan-Flagler’s Career Management Center and feedback from my peers, I have re-examined my career and life goals thoroughly. Do I really have no location preference? Is a career in brand management exactly what I want?

Involving others when considering these important questions has helped me to gain perspective and become more confident in my direction. As a result, I have also found it easier to isolate the opportunities that match my career interests. I can see that it will be beneficial to involve future managers, peers and other stakeholders as I revisit my short and long-term plans to ensure that I remain aligned with my intended trajectory.

Recognize which resources you have and utilize them.

Though five additional hours in a day would be nice, learning to work around time limitations has motivated me to take advantage of the resources available in the form of classmates, professors, alumni and others within the UNC community. Just the other day, I rallied my study group to help me go over finance problems and they made themselves available immediately, despite competing obligations.

I know my two years in the MBA program will pass by extremely quickly, but ultimately time will not be an obstacle to accessing these resources in the future. Mr. Saba revealed that post-MBA, he continues to entrust a UNC Kenan-Flagler professor as an advisor on his most significant career and life decisions. That is the kind of relationship I think we should all seek to build during our time here.

No matter where you happen to fall in your MBA journey, I challenge you to leverage your intuition and determine how these insights can positively impact your approach to future success.

Contributed by Morghen Johnson (MBA ’16)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Conquering the MBA admissions essay

We asked our MBA admissions team to share their tips and advice for navigating the admissions process – starting with the essay. Here’s what they said:

DO:

• Tell your story. Our MBA admissions team reads thousands of essays each year. To make your essay memorable, tell us why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler and how your past experiences have shaped you as a professional. Show us your personality through compelling, dynamic examples or a personal story that illustrates your points. A successful essay gives our admissions team a sense of who you are and why you are a good fit for our program.
  • Take a team approach to proofreading. Punctuation errors are incredibly easy to make, but also incredibly easy to fix. Proofread your essay for spelling, punctuation and grammar – then ask a colleague (or two) to do the same. A fresh set of eyes will often catch errors you might have missed.
  • Stick to the limit. Be concise and stick to the stated maximum length. These limits are listed for a reason – don’t ignore them.
DON’T:

• Recite your resume. The essay is the first chance for our admissions team to learn about your background and professional experience. Use examples to highlight your experience. Do not add a few words to the bullet points on your resume and call it an essay.
  • Write a generic essay. Just as every applicant is unique, so are the business programs at each school. Do not just change the school name for each application. We want to know who you are and why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler.
  • Skimp on proofreading. Submitting an essay riddled with spelling, punctuation and grammar errors is the equivalent to wearing pajamas to your admissions interview. Make a good first impression by thoroughly proofreading your essay and ensuring you reference our school, UNC Kenan-Flagler, properly.
Our UNC Kenan-Flagler full-time MBA program is currently accepting applications for its Class of 2017. Learn more about our program and start your application today. And don’t forget to mark your calendar with important admissions dates and deadlines!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  38   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts