Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [7]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2017 Consortium MBA Applicants!!! [#permalink]
Kudos
In for round 1, can't wait!

Application expected to open the second week in August like in prior years?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Goillini13 wrote:
In for round 1, can't wait!

Application expected to open the second week in August like in prior years?

Welcome Aboard! Yes, as per consortium website, application will open on August 15, 2016.

Hi Everyone, Let's start the application journey. Feel free to introduce yourself to fellow applicants: Brief overview of your background, post MBA goals, and schools you are targeting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Not sure who's in the LA/SoCal area, or who can travel there but this seems like a fantastic event:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/14th-annual ... erelexpmlt

The Diversity MBA Admissions Conference (DMAC), hosted by the Riordan Programs Alumni Association, is an annual event in Los Angeles that connects talented diverse, underrepresented and under served candidates who wish to pursue a degree in business with Admissions Directors at top-tier business schools. The conference allows attendees to interact directly with MBA Admissions Directors from the country’s top business schools, learn about the MBA Admissions process and the relative strengths of the attending business school’s curriculum and student culture. The conference has continually helped connect and place participants with top-tier MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Considering applying to the Consortium this year, but not sure I qualify.

I've been a volunteer math/science tutor with Communities in Schools for the past 3 years working in low-income, racially diverse school districts in Texas with Middle School aged kids to help not only with their classes/grades, but also work with them to register for more advanced classes in high school and push the importance of higher education. Is this enough to qualify me to apply through the Consortium?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AT1990 wrote:
Considering applying to the Consortium this year, but not sure I qualify.

I've been a volunteer math/science tutor with Communities in Schools for the past 3 years working in low-income, racially diverse school districts in Texas with Middle School aged kids to help not only with their classes/grades, but also work with them to register for more advanced classes in high school and push the importance of higher education. Is this enough to qualify me to apply through the Consortium?

"Racially diverse" is a bit broad. That could include Asian American. Please remember that the Consortium's mission is aimed at specifically advancing African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Native Americans. Also remember the organization aims to advance these groups in American business schools and corporate management.

It doesn't sound like what you did "working with them to register for more advanced classes in high school and push the importance of higher education" fit the criteria for membership.

Have you ever worked to change the perceptions of historically underrepresented groups? That's a way to qualify for membership.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
PsychGuy845 wrote:
Not sure who's in the LA/SoCal area, or who can travel there but this seems like a fantastic event:

The Diversity MBA Admissions Conference (DMAC), hosted by the Riordan Programs Alumni Association, is an annual event in Los Angeles that connects talented diverse, underrepresented and under served candidates who wish to pursue a degree in business with Admissions Directors at top-tier business schools. The conference allows attendees to interact directly with MBA Admissions Directors from the country’s top business schools, learn about the MBA Admissions process and the relative strengths of the attending business school’s curriculum and student culture. The conference has continually helped connect and place participants with top-tier MBA programs.

Has anyone attended this event before? I'm considering going but have another event the same day. Trying to decide what to do.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
PsychGuy845 wrote:

Has anyone attended this event before? I'm considering going but have another event the same day. Trying to decide what to do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
In for Round 1! Excited to embark on this journey with y'all!

For those interested, the applications for Johnson Means Business (JMB) and Tuck's Diversity Conference (DivCo) are now open.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Consortium - Admission Trends!

Hi Everyone, I am posting here an analysis of admission trends and acceptance chances of Consortium applicants based on our accumulated forum data of applicants. We have tried to determine acceptance chances by GMAT score, admission rounds, industry, etc. and compare performance of Consortium applicants with overall applicant pool. The data used for this analysis is self-reported, so it's advised to use findings of this analysis with discretion. They are meant to give only a general idea of admission scenario at Columbia. Don't presume that these findings will hold true all the time.

We would welcome any comments, opinions, suggestions or anything else that you might have to say about the findings of this analysis.

YOY Acceptance Rate and Avg GMAT of Applicants

• Acceptance rate is relatively stable over last 5 years with the exception of 2014 in which it dropped to 26%.

Sample Size: 1083 Applicants

Acceptance Rate by GMAT Score

• We studied only 7 schools, with most applicants, for this analysis as we didn't have sufficient data in other schools.
  • I can't seem to find the reason for why acceptance rate is dropping for applicants scoring 750 or above on the GMAT. Does anyone have explanation for this?

Sample Size: 326 Applicants

Acceptance Rate by Admission Round

• Acceptance chances are considerably higher in R2.

Sample Size: 1064 Applicants

Acceptance Rates of Different Age Groups

Sample Size: 329 Applicants

Acceptance rates of applicants from various industries

• The first chart - line chart - shows acceptance rates of applicants from various industries and the pie chart next to it shows industry-wise allocation of applicants.

Sample Size: 610 Applicants

Consortium vs Overall Application Pool

Sample Size: 726 Applicants

As I said earlier, we welcome your views, counter-views, suggestions, etc on the analysis. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you so much for these, Narenn!

I found the following things to be very surprising:
-Students who have a GMAT score between 650-670 have a greater acceptance rate on average than those with GMAT scores between 680-720. (I wonder if this is a function of students with lower GMATs working harder on essays and their applications overall)

-Cornell's CGSM acceptance rate is >50%.

-Consortium applicants from Tuck and Yale actually have a lower acceptance rate when compared to the general pool.

-CGSM applicants on GMATClub hail from nontraditional backgrounds such as Education, Non-Profit, and Government more than Banking & Finance and Consulting. (Definitely a shocker)

-The overall acceptance rate for CGSM applicants is higher in the January round (Round 2) vs the October round (Round 1).

I know this sample is from GMATClub only and we don't necessarily have information about those who haven't posted on here, but do these analyses surprise anyone else? Further, does it cause anyone to reconsider their application strategy (school selection, round of application etc.) going forward?
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PsychGuy845 wrote:
I found the following things to be very surprising:
-Students who have a GMAT score between 650-670 have a greater acceptance rate on average than those with GMAT scores between 680-720. (I wonder if this is a function of students with lower GMATs working harder on essays and their applications overall)

It's probably because of insufficient data. As we can see only 13 applicants between GMAT range 650 - 670 have reported decisions on forum, whereas the figure for applicants with GMAT scores between 680 - 700 is 59.

The finding that I felt most shocking is the low acceptance rate of applicants with GMAT 750+. I am wondering if this is because a lot of applicants who have good profiles (excellent profiles), aiming to score upto 740 - 750 and focusing more on their apps/essays thereafter.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

My GMAT score is 600. I want to apply for mba this year, but don't have a plan yet. Can anyone tell me if it is a must to write toefl? I have written IELTS and got a score of 7.5, will this suffice for MBA applications?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to apply for Yale, Haas, McCombs, Tuck, Darden, and UCLA, in that order. I'm struggling a little bit with the membership essay so any advice is more than welcome. Should I treat it like any other essay where you pretty much build a story while answering the questions at the same time or should I go straight to the point and simply answer the questions concisely?

Thank you and good luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey! Welcome to the thread!

I did mine in short answer format where I spoke succinctly and simply provided answers about my demonstrated commitment. I had a bunch of different points to discuss so that's also why I couldn't elaborate on each very much given the limited word count. I don't think there's a right or wrong way, so if you prefer a more narrative approach that's good too. I think once you have good speaking points, the way you present it will matter much less. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
PsychGuy845 wrote:
Hey! Welcome to the thread!

I did mine in short answer format where I spoke succinctly and simply provided answers about my demonstrated commitment. I had a bunch of different points to discuss so that's also why I couldn't elaborate on each very much given the limited word count. I don't think there's a right or wrong way, so if you prefer a more narrative approach that's good too. I think once you have good speaking points, the way you present it will matter much less. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you PsychGuy845. I was really needing to hear that there's no right or wrong way to do it; you see in many other threads where they strongly advise against doing X or Y so I wanted to make sure I wasn't "violating" any golden rules. I'm going for the narrative approach though since I already started writing it and thus far I think I will be able to say it all and still stay within the 4,000 character limit.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Duke '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.75
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks for starting this thread!

In for R1 as well.

Any thoughts or assumptions as to why the acceptance rate for CGSM R1 is slightly lower than for CGSM R2? (maybe rushed applications or lower scores?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
Send PM
I am in for R1. I will be applying to Ross, Stern, Haas, and Anderson.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts