Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: In a nature reserve in India, people are sometimes attacked by tigers. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) Many workers in the nature reserve who do not wear the masks have been attacked recently by tigers.
(B) Workers in other nature reserves who wear similar masks have not been attacked recently by tigers.

Both are close, yes.

We are trying to find a fact which will encourage local residents to wear the mask.

A) Does not say that if you don't wear the mask, you will be attacked. But it does say that all those who were attacked were not wearing the mask. Also, A talks about the LOCAL nature reserve.

B) Talks about OTHER nature reserves where people wear SIMILAR masks, not necessarily depicting a human face. Also it does not say whether people who did not wear the masks were attacked or safe.

So A is a better option.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: In a nature reserve in India, people are sometimes attacked by tigers. [#permalink]
ravitejapandiri wrote:
lagomez wrote:
ravitejapandiri wrote:
In a nature reserve in India, people are sometimes attacked by tigers. It is believed that the tigers will only attack people from behind. So for the past few years many workers in the reserve have started wearing masks depicting a
human face on the back of their heads. While many area residents remain skeptical, no worker wearing one of these masks has yet been attacked by a tiger.

Which of the statements below, if true, would best support the argument of those who advocate the use of the mask?

(A) Many workers in the nature reserve who do not wear the masks have been attacked recently by tigers.
(B) Workers in other nature reserves who wear similar masks have not been attacked recently by tigers.
(C) No tigers have been spotted on the nature reserve in recent years.
(D) Many of the workers who wear the masks also sing while they work in order to frighten away any tigers in the area.
(E) The tigers have often been observed attacking small deer from in front rather than from behind.

I feel the answer should be "B" but the OA is different. It is already known that people are attacked by tigers. This in no way support the argument.

A simply states that NOT wearing the mask =>tigers will attack.
From this we cant deduce that Wearing masks=> tigers will not attack.

So,there is no new point in A..Right? Thanks in advance..

"A" best supports the argument because because those who don't wear masks continue to get attacked. This strengthens the argument because it let's us know that there is not another explanation for the reduction in attacks. Other reasons for fewer attacks may be because of a declining population or perhaps the tigers have migrated elsewhere. We don't know. With A, the answer is telling us that the tigers are very much in existence and thus the masks are effective.

Thanks for the explanation but a small doubt !Why are we excluding option B.The only reason being the above argument is about a particular reserve or any other reason is there?Some insight please..

I would agree with the previous post in that A is better. I think the problem with "B" is that it introduces another reserve. A sticks to the reserve in question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Answer should be A, as choice B is talking about the "Workers in other nature reserves" and we are not concerned about the workers of other nature reserves!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Bookmarks
A & B are very close. However, they are different when it comes to using one to support the advocates of the mask.

Used POE to eliminate C, D & E. However, it boils down to picking the right one from A & B. A brings in more power to the advocates because it shows that unmasked people in the same environment (same park and same tigers) as the masked people are still been attacked.

Originally posted by adishail on 21 Sep 2010, 09:30.
Last edited by adishail on 21 Sep 2010, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
good question.
really got me confused.
another thing that goes in favor of A is, that in statement B it says, no person on other park was attacked RECENTLY, here the word recently is out of scope since the masks are being used since many years.
No attacks in recent time can be coz of any reason .not necessarily coz of masks. If it has said, no person in another reserve has been attacked who wore a mask. then that might have been the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Bookmarks
A is the best. The statement says that "no worker wearing one of these masks has yet been attacked by a tiger." so we have to demonstrate that in resent time in that natural reserve in India tigers generely attacked workers, and only those who didn't wear masks. In the case of answer B we don't know anything about workers who didn't wear masks, maybe there were no attacks at all.

Hope it helps :) (unfortunately my choice was B, but now I understand it was wrong)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I would like to share my comments here... I know it might be unwelcomed, but its true.. If the OA were B, people who give the explanation would have stated their comments supporting B.. Honest fact.. Because in a similar kind of question, people have rejected option A kind of statement, stating "we are not concerned about people who do not wear masks. The conclusion states that wearing masks evade tiger attacks. So B is the right option.." OA seems to bend the thinking of people... Dont know what is going to be on the test day where the OA does not appear.. Will be a poker game depending upon luck?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
sheolokesh wrote:
I would like to share my comments here... I know it might be unwelcomed, but its true.. If the OA were B, people who give the explanation would have stated their comments supporting B.. Honest fact.. Because in a similar kind of question, people have rejected option A kind of statement, stating "we are not concerned about people who do not wear masks. The conclusion states that wearing masks evade tiger attacks. So B is the right option.." OA seems to bend the thinking of people... Dont know what is going to be on the test day where the OA does not appear.. Will be a poker game depending upon luck?

Hi sheolokesh,

I somewhat agree with what you have stated in your post. However, it's a subjective topic.
I think what other people have rejected or accepted is none of our business because this is a reasoning quetsion, and everybody has his/her own way to reason the problem.

Now to the argument mentioned.
I think it's pretty simple to eliminate options C, D and E.
The fight is between option A and B.

Both option A and B (in a way ) support the argument, but question asked us to pick the option that 'Best' support the argument.

option B: Workers in other nature reserves who wear similar masks have not been attacked recently by tigers.

First of all, the situations/conditions can be different between the natural reserve under consideration and the other natural reserves.
Secondly, the use of adverb 'recently' gives a call to suspicion as we can say, the tiger might have attacked the workers in the past, but not in recent times.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
sheolokesh wrote:

Its not about reasoning according to OA but about reasoning with logic to reach the answer. If you are not convinced with above explanations, you should ask for the help of experts in this forum. We all know that it's easy to eliminate 3 answer choices and we need to pick the right choice between the two. This will happen only by understanding what makes a particular answer choice correct and the other incorrect. There cannot be 2 correct answers but just 1.

I am no expert but will try to explain my logic
Coming to this question, between A&B, the word recently makes a huge statement.

A states that workers who do not wear mask were attacked recently. It is also given that workers who wear mask have not been attacked. This shows that mask is actually working because attacks are still happening on people who are not wearing it.

B states that workers who wear mask in other nature have not been attacked recently. So we know they have not been attacked recently but these workers who wear mask could have been attacked before by the tigers. We do not know that. Thus, it does not strengthen the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
ravitejapandiri wrote:
In a nature reserve in India, people are sometimes attacked by tigers. It is believed that the tigers will only attack people from behind. So for the past few years many workers in the reserve have started wearing masks depicting a
human face on the back of their heads. While many area residents remain skeptical, no worker wearing one of these masks has yet been attacked by a tiger.

Which of the statements below, if true, would best support the argument of those who advocate the use of the mask?

(D) Many of the workers who wear the masks also sing while they work in order to frighten away any tigers in the area.
(E) The tigers have often been observed attacking small deer from in front rather than from behind.

I went with A...
we need to strengthen the claim that wearing masks -> decreases the probability of being attacked.
A - says that many of those who do not wear - were attacked. looks good
B - other reserves - not interested. + other reserves - are there tigers at all? did the reserves had the same problem? too many IF's..
C - well..this actually weakens..
D - as well weakens, because it is not only the mask only.
E. weakens..it tells that tigers do not attack, and thus, masks should not be a problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Quote:

Superb question.

Any CR passage we should choose an answer choice which tell us that there are not alternate reason for the cause.
If we choose B, still we don't know whether this is the only reason that is wearing the mask protects them, or any other reason is there for tiger not attacking or tiger is not attacking any. We don't know
But choice A clearly states the same which supports the argument. It says people got attacked by tiger didn't wear a mask, means people who wear a mask are fine.
"Workers in other natural reserves" is not a good reason to eliminate B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
The reason A is correct over B is because we are talking about THIS nature preserve, not another. If you were to use that argument to try to counter the original claim, you would leave yourself open to the following statement: "Tigers could behave differently in that other nature preserve. There doesn't necessarily need to be a parallel between the two preserves as they are in two different places and therefore could potentially have different factors that contribute to the tigers' behavior."

Hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
Send PM
Makes sense. Since we are seeing lot of attacks on non-mask people, it strengthens the case that mask is helping pushing off these predators.

Do we know about other reserves. Also, it adds "recently". That means if we are actually talking about same masks then probably this is a weakener coz it atleast didnt help before.

Okay but doesnt help us strengthen.

Possible weakener. What if it was singing which was weakening lions.

Attacks on humans could be different than attack on deers.

Answer A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Isnt A is trying to contradict the premise already given in the last line of the argument ????
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Wearing mask does not attack people. We need to strengthen the argument. It need not MUST BE TRUE.
Not wearing mask attacks people. This may indicate that it is advisable to wear a mask to avoid attack. Hence, this strengthens the argument. Keep A.
The argument starts with tiger attack in a particular nature reserve. We do not know whether the other nature reserve has or not the tigers in the first place. Hence, B is wrong.
If not tigers have been spotted in recent years, there is no point to wear a mask. C is out.
If mask wearers also sing, we do not know whether tigers are frightened away because of wearing mask or singing. Hence, D is out.
Attacking deer is not comparable to attacking humans. Hence, E is out.
Answer is A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts