Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 13:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

66% (01:30) correct 34% (00:36) wrong based on 96 sessions
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating
E. each one of which date

My doubts:
1) I know that C and D are wrong in part because we need a modiphiyng phrase and not a parallel clause. However, how can be sure that an idea must be subordinated or kept independent from the main clause? For instance, if choice C were "and each is dating", would it be incorrect?
2) I read in other post that B is wrong not only because is wordy but because the tense is wrong. Because the action has concluded in the present and it is not going on. Is it right?, could someone provide a detailed explanation about it?
Thank you!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Answer should be "A" beacuse:

c,d,e:...has "each" which refers to the communities and hence it refers to all the members rather than just two mentoned.

b is wordy and hence eliminated.
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1612 [5] , given: 249

Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 20:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
What is a main factor and what is a subordinate factor? In the given case, the text wants to establish that the two sites are examples of the oldest communities; in proof of that, it gives the dating data. Therefore, the data are additional facts and supportive ideas to the main theme of oldness. Putting them on equal footing with the main clause using a co-ordinate conjunction namely ‘and’ will end up in alteration of intent. Hence, C and D are wrong. Even if C were to be amended grammatically as has been stated by metallicafan, it would not make an ideal choice as far as meaning is concerned.

B is wrong because, when you use the present perfect, you are trying to imply that both are doing the dating themselves and that the effect of dating is no more. The effect of dating namely that they are part of the oldest communities is going to be there forever and a universal fact. Therefore, we need to use a simple present tense to express such a feeling.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 13:38
metallicafan wrote:
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating

My doubts:
1) I know that C and D are wrong in part because we need a modiphiyng phrase and not a parallel clause. However, how can be sure that an idea must be subordinated or kept independent from the main clause? For instance, if choice C were "and each is dating", would it be incorrect?
2) I read in other post that B is wrong not only because is wordy but because the tense is wrong. Because the action has concluded in the present and it is not going on. Is it right?, could someone provide a detailed explanation about it?
Thank you!

My Answer is A, also E can be eliminated because "Each" is usually singular unless it is referring to a plural noun, which is not the case here. B is wordy.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 15:13
metallicafan wrote:
A. both dating
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating

My doubts:
Thank you!

hi metallicafan, in response to your doubts

1. "and each is dating" would still be wrong because each in this sentence is a vague pronoun reference. the subject here is a compound one and plural (Acoma and Hopi). Also 'is' would then be wrong as it has to be 'are'
2. i feel that the correct explanation for B was that the tense (have dated) doesnt fit in this sentence with the other one (surviving). Surviving is a present progressive tense (-ing form) which denotes an action in the present. Have dated is present perfect which denotes an action that happened in the past and still happening. since tenses need to be consistent for meaning, surviving and dating are the right tenses.

kudos if you like my answer!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 01:41
IMO A
C,D are wrong - "and" joins 2 Independent Clauses but we need a Dependent Clause
B uses incorrect plural verb "date"
E uses incorrect present perfect tense

Last edited by vikram4689 on 07 May 2012, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 33

Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 09:31
both is required to refer to the plural subject x and y.

hence i prefer A over the other options.

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Acoma and Hopi [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 06:40
Thanks daagh! Great explanation there!

-ING usually denotes a supportive idea - a big learning there! :) +1 to you

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 621 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Though the answer has been given, I just want to share my part of discussion. Before advancing, many thanks to metallicafan for the question.
My take:
Always remember, there are two requirements of COMMA + ING construction:
a) it should be adverbial, modifying the entire previous clause
b) it should be attributed to the subject of the previous clause.

The options C and D neither explain the preceding clause nor become a consequential effect.
Same goes for e as well.
Now when we move to B, here we see a change of tense which is nog required at all, in fact is incorrect.
Hence A.

Please give me kudos, if you liked the post.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2012, 07:24