GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Feb 2019, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!
  • Get FREE Daily Quiz for 2 months

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Buy "All-In-One Standard ($149)", get free Daily quiz (2 mon). Coupon code : SPECIAL

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Nov 2018, 23:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:48) correct 33% (01:02) wrong based on 2005 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.

(A) both dating

(B) both of which have dated

(C) and each has dated

(D) and each one dating

(E) each one of which date

The Oxford History of the American West Reprint Edition
by Clyde A. Milner (Editor), Carol A. O'Connor (Editor), Martha A. Sandweiss (Editor)

The Oxford History of the American West - Page 16

https://books.google.com.my/books?id=GkUUAAAAYAAJ
Clyde A. Milner, ‎Carol A. O'Connor, ‎Martha A. Sandweiss - 1994 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions

Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving communities, both dating back at least a thousand years; some scholars contend that the Hopi area has been occupied for several thousand years. In the centuries before the Spaniards ...

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Originally posted by sondenso on 31 May 2009, 02:03.
Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Nov 2018, 23:57, edited 5 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2010, 06:58
I am afraid lots of misconceptions are going round in regard to this text. First of all, ‘each one’ is not redundant. Each can be used both as a noun (when you say just each) and as an adjective when it modifies another noun as in each person, or each one etc. But D is wrong because of the intruding conjunction ‘and’ followed by a participial phrase rather than a full-fledged clause with an action verb. E is wrong because of S-V number disagreement – ‘each one’ of which ‘date’ - the verb should be ‘dates’ to match the singular subject each one
B a C are grammatically wrong because, both are using wrong tense of present perfect – ‘have dated’ and ‘has dated’, meaning that the dating has ended and is no more relevant.

A is the perfect choice with the use of the present participle phrase just modifying – both – and has no unnecessary conjunction.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 12:22
Here is my take.

Always use BOTH when pointing out similarities and use EACH when pointing out differences.

In the original question, The Acoma and Hopi are dating back at least a thousand years(Trying to explain the similarities.) Hence BOTH should be the pick.

Obviously, from A and B, B is wordy. So the answer must be A.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 04:43
sondenso wrote:
The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating
E. each one of which date

Guys, I found the problem in meaning of the OA. OFFcourse 4 remainings problematic too. Need more reasonings on why OA is the OA? :-D

Option E and D have redundancy problem - Use of 'one' and 'each'

Option B is wordy and awkward 'both of which'

Now between A and C, A looks perfect as it uses correct parallel construction 'surviving' and 'dating'

So the best option is A.

what is the OA?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2009, 07:39
[quote="hasham222"][quote="sondenso"]The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo communities, both dating back at least a thousand years.
A. both dating
B. both of which have dated Wordy
C. and each has dated Wrong Tense
D. and each one dating Redundancy
E. each one of which date Awkward

In C\D\E the reference of "each"or"which" is not clear

OA should be A
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2009, 20:14
I'm not saying that EVERYTHING in the NYTimes is gramatically correct, but probably 99.999999% of it is.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=990DE4D9113DEE32A25751C2A96E9C946397D6CF

nytimes wrote:
In the double-header which was played to-day by the New York and Pittsburg baseball teams each won and lost a game.

This addresses a few of the previous posts. One post says that when something is the same, we should use "both" which is not true and this sentence is an example. As "style" goes when writing, it might be a better "style", but it is not incorrect to use "each" when describing something that is the same. With this sentence, the two baseball teams are similar in the games won.

I must modify the example somewhat to show my second point, in that when the subect is compound, the decision of whether to use "each" or to use "both" depends upon how the subject is used.

If you have "Miami and Los Angeles will play in the NBA Finals, both of which have already won at least one NBA title." This sentence is correct, while so is this one:

"Miami and Los Angeles will play in the NBA Finals; each has already won at least one NBA title."

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 11:48
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t9670.html

This should help eliminate the choices.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 18:29
A for using the right participle -dating -; B and C are out because of using
the perfect tense indicating that the dating back is about to end. The second part of D is a fragment while E has S-V disagreement

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 21:45
A

A. both dating
Use of present participle followed by both is correct.

Present perfect suggests that these communities no longer exist

C. and each has dated
Coordinating conjunction introduces a separate idea rather than modify the communities.
Present perfect suggests that these communities no longer exist

D. and each one dating
Coordinating conjunction introduces a separate idea rather than modify the communities.
A complete clause must be followed by a coordinating conjunction and

Subject 'each one of which' is singular.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 13:23
A. both dating
C. and each has dated
D. and each one dating

My doubts:
1) I know that C and D are wrong in part because we need a modiphiyng phrase and not a parallel clause. However, how can be sure that an idea must be subordinated or kept independent from the main clause? For instance, if choice C were "and each is dating", would it be incorrect?
2) I read in other post that B is wrong not only because is wordy but because the tense is wrong. Because the action has concluded in the present and it is not going on. Is it right?, could someone provide a detailed explanation about it?
Thank you!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2012, 08:19
Answer should be "A" beacuse:

c,d,e:...has "each" which refers to the communities and hence it refers to all the members rather than just two mentoned.

b is wordy and hence eliminated.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2012, 20:11
What is a main factor and what is a subordinate factor? In the given case, the text wants to establish that the two sites are examples of the oldest communities; in proof of that, it gives the dating data. Therefore, the data are additional facts and supportive ideas to the main theme of oldness. Putting them on equal footing with the main clause using a co-ordinate conjunction namely ‘and’ will end up in alteration of intent. Hence, C and D are wrong. Even if C were to be amended grammatically as has been stated by metallicafan, it would not make an ideal choice as far as meaning is concerned.

B is wrong because, when you use the present perfect, you are trying to imply that both are doing the dating themselves and that the effect of dating is no more. The effect of dating namely that they are part of the oldest communities is going to be there forever and a universal fact. Therefore, we need to use a simple present tense to express such a feeling.

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 07:24
Though the answer has been given, I just want to share my part of discussion. Before advancing, many thanks to metallicafan for the question.
My take:
Always remember, there are two requirements of COMMA + ING construction:
a) it should be adverbial, modifying the entire previous clause
b) it should be attributed to the subject of the previous clause.

The options C and D neither explain the preceding clause nor become a consequential effect.
Same goes for e as well.
Now when we move to B, here we see a change of tense which is nog required at all, in fact is incorrect.
Hence A.

Please give me kudos, if you liked the post.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2013, 12:56

A. both dating
Correct. Verb-ing modifier + comma --> modifies a preceding clause.==> "dating" is verb-ing modifier that provides more information for the preceding clause (why Acoma & Hopi are the oldest surviving Pueblo communities).

Wrong. "which" should modifies the closest noun --> "which" modifies "communities", not "Acoma & Hopi" --> Wrong.

C. and each has dated
Wrong. "each" of communities or "each" of "Acoma & Hopi"??? --> Very obscure.

D. and each one dating
Wrong. Same error as in C. "each" of communities or "each" of "Acoma & Hopi"??? --> Very obscure.

Wrong. Same error as in B. "which" should modifies the closest noun --> "which" modifies "communities", not "Acoma & Hopi" --> Wrong.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 23:18
E is a simple subject-verb issue. It should be each . . . dates.

In B, "have dated" doesn't make sense. Dating in this sense is not something they have actually done. It's just a way of describing how old they are. We'd say "This legend dates back to the 12th century," not "This legend has dated back to the 12th century." (This issue also rules out C, with "has dated.")

D is just not a sentence. It links a modifier to the main clause with "and," and that doesn't work.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 04:02
sondenso wrote:

(A) both dating
(B) both of which have dated
(C) and each has dated
(D) and each one dating
(E) each one of which date

From Ron (Manhattan Prep)

(c) and (d) are incorrect because of the word "and"; the sentence is not presenting two separate, independent facts, so "and" is inappropriate as a conjunction.

(b) and (c) are incorrect because of the tense used; "has dated" implies that this is not the case anymore. (this particular construction really only makes sense in the present tense -- or as an -ing modifier attached to a present-tense clause, since -ing modifiers adopt the tense of the clause to which they are attached.)

(e) has subject-verb disagreement ("each one of which" must be singular).

(d) uses complete sentence + comma + "and", a conjunction that should be followed by another independent clause. since "dating" isn't a verb, that second half is a fragment.

GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain "VERBing - dating" in this problem? Why "dating" is placed after the pronoun "both"? What is being modified here?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 13:52
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain "VERBing - dating" in this problem? Why "dating" is placed after the pronoun "both"? What is being modified here?

The -ing modifier ("dating") modifies "communities" -- and the adverb "both" modifies "dating." In other words, both the Acoma community and the Hopi community date back at least a thousand years, and the word placement isn't a problem at all.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 22:36
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you please explain why the tense used is incorrect here? My understanding about present perfect tense is - An action that begins in the past and continues to the present. But in the explanation given above its mentioned that '"has dated" implies that this is not the case anymore (this particular construction really only makes sense in the present tense -- or as an -ing modifier attached to a present-tense clause, since -ing modifiers adopt the tense of the clause to which they are attached.)'.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 23:59
Imo A .
But not sure
Which in B is ambiguous .
The is one more doubt I have .
If in option D we remove one will it be correct then.?
Please explain .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 06:42
hazelnut wrote:

Hello hazelnut,

Although your question has already been answered, I would like to present to you how at e-GMAT we treat the modifier both dating back at least a thousand years.

We call this modifier Noun + Noun Modifier in which both = Noun and dating back at least a thousand years = Noun Modifier. Well, technically both is a pronoun. But since it refers to a noun entity, it is used in the Noun + Noun Modifier structure in the place of Noun as we see in this official sentence.

A Noun + Noun Modifier can modify any noun in the preceding clause or even the entire preceding. The modification by this modifier depends upon the context of the sentence.

In this official sentence, the Noun + Noun Modifier both dating back at least a thousand years modifies the noun The Acoma and Hopi.

For all the details, explanations, and examples (official sentences included) pertaining to the Noun + Noun Modifiers, please review our article named Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2017, 06:42

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 

The Acoma and Hopi are probably the two oldest surviving Pueblo commun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap