Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 31

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:52) correct 33% (01:10) wrong based on 79 sessions
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

A. Underlined portion
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended
D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended
E. Columbus, the Incan Highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 20:37
A.Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended. cannot find anything wrong. but still not clear as C
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended. Will go with C

IMO C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 2

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 23:40
This post received
KUDOS
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

A. Underlined portion
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended

Ans shud be E.
Reason: 'extending ......' is a participle-modifier. In case of 'C' the sentence is not complete. The Incan highway should be described further in case of 'C'.
Let me know the OA.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 01:30
tkarthi4u wrote:
A.Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended. cannot find anything wrong. but still not clear as C
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended. Will go with C

IMO C

In all options other than A, B and E, don't you think that the Incan highway wrongly modifies Christopher Columbus?

I have my own doubts on E!

Is this okay?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 03:24
I support 'E'.

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher____from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

Yes, '...extending from...' is required, That leaves us with 'A' and 'E', out of which 'E' is more grammatically sound.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Last edited by aknine on 15 Jun 2009, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 92

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 03:25
extending vs extended - "ing" is required
B,C,D are out

E
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 08:47
paneer wrote:

In all options other than A, B and E, don't you think that the Incan highway wrongly modifies Christopher Columbus?

IMO,

First, the subject of the sentence is Incan highway, not Christopher columbus.

Second, the first clause that consists of Christopher columbus is the modifier because it starts by saying "The greatest system built...."

and the clause "extending...." is a modifier of the incan highway.

IMO E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 08:57
goldeneagle94 wrote:
paneer wrote:

IMO,

First, the subject of the sentence is Incan highway, not Christopher columbus.

Second, the first clause that consists of Christopher columbus is the modifier because it starts by saying "The greatest system built...."

and the clause "extending...." is a modifier of the incan highway.

IMO E.

I needed that! :idea:

Is this okay?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 10:51
IMO B...
All others incorrectly modifies columbus....
Columbus was not the highway...
whats the OA anyways?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 14

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 15:33
IMO E

I rejected all other options .
For C - the Incan highway is mentioned under commas that makes it non-essential
This is not the case as the Incan highway is subject and so it should not be mentioned under commas

Always tag your question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 29

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 16:43
scorpio7 wrote:

A. Underlined portion
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended-wrong usage of which , .... , is needed.
D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended -avoid being-

The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended . Clearly B what's the OA?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 13:25
OA is E.
Could anybody clarify why extending is better than extended? I always have problems with the participles...

Many thanks in advance.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 20:41

A. Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
Incorrect: The Incan highway mistakenly modifies Christopher Columbus.
Incorrect: If you observe closely, the option is trying to convey that Christopher Columbus was The Incan....and extended (i.e Christ himself extended !!!)
Incorrect: This is a close shave. You need to notice that length and its extension are given equal importance.However, the length information is additional and should be seperated by commas.
Incorrect: Similar reasoning as B.
Correct: Here you will observe that extending is a participle modified which is correctly modifying The greatest Road system. The additional information the incan....long is seperated by commas.
I suppose..E fits the bill.

However I selected option C. :-D

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 03:54
2500 miles in length is correct usage?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 05:12
Should be E. E makes the sentence complete!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:41
Its E.
extending modifies the participle correctly..

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 04:35
If you refer to OG, it will say that extending is something will last, extended is something happened then just finished. it won't last.

noboru wrote:
OA is E.
Could anybody clarify why extending is better than extended? I always have problems with the participles...

Many thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 18:01
+1 for E.

All other choices can be eliminated.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 22:25
I go with B. Here are points:

1. When describing something in a long sentence, proper 'pause' is required. In this case, the word 'was' after the word Columbus serves the purpose. In no way, I see this 'was' affecting Columbus, as some of our friends argued.

2. In the sentence, there is no guarantee that the bridge STILL exists and hence, usage of 'extended' seems to be appropriate (for the given context).
After this bridge was constructed, for some reason it would have been destroyed and after that no bridge of length equal to or greater than that of this bridge would have been constructed.

3. Some might argue that length of the bridge is something that is fixed and hence 'extended' does not apply. But just as I said in point 2, for some reason, the bridge would have been altered. For e.g, when constructed it was 2000m long and after that modifications it became only 1000m long. Now, even if there exists some other bridge of length greater than 1000m, still the original statement holds good because I can argue that all that statement talking about is AT THE TIME of construction, but not currently available.

Hence for me B is correct.

In real life, points (2) & (3) that I mentioned above usually do not apply and hence 'extending' is correct. But GMAT is all about 'the given context' but not real life.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 23:32
E is the correct answer as it is most precise one. The ans choices with "Which ' and "Extended" are incorrect.

Re: The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2012, 23:32