Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [4] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 05:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:18) correct 55% (01:23) wrong based on 439 sessions
The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who register the Internet domain names of high-profile companies in hopes of reselling the rights to those names for a profit, led to passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.

A passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.
B the passage of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, which allows companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell
C the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling
D the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which was passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell
E the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C
; I think it is because of the correct verb "lead to the passage of" and also it removes the misplaced modifiers in B where it is not clear if the act or 1999 allows companied to seed. Can somebody confirm my understanding is correct ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 23 Jul 2013, 11:00, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep SC question The proliferation of so-called cybersq [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 05:35
A passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.
Wrong. "Passing" wrong tense. Activity already finished.

B the passage of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, which allows companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent that they will sell
"they" not clear. Companies or criminals?

C the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which allows companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling
Seems OK.

D the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which was passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent to sell
"and it allows..." is wrong construction. False parallelism.

E the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling
"and it allows..." is wrong construction. False parallelism.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep SC question The proliferation of so-called cybersq [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:15
ssandeepan wrote:
The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who register the Internet domain names of high-profile companies in hopes of reselling the rights to those names for a profit, led to passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999, allowing companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later.

The correct answer is C ; I think it is because of the correct verb "lead to the passage of" and also it removes the misplaced modifiers in B where it is not clear if the act or 1999 allows companied to seed. Can somebody confirm my understanding is correct ?

B has several problems :
1.Modifier issue
2.with the sole intent that they will sell
- sounds incomplete,
- is wordy
- "intent of" - correct idom
- they - cyberquatters,complanies,domains??

E was a close contender
The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who register the Internet domain names of high-profile companies in hopes of reselling the rights to those names for a profit, led to the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling

Simplifying further:

The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who X, led to the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999, and it allows companies to seek up to $100000 in damages against those Y with the sole intent of selling

The above SC may not exhibit IIlism but I guess its grammatically correct

The answer choice has a different problem:
1. led to the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999
- logic is incoorect ,the sentence wordy
The law was passed in 1999 and it needs special emphasis.
Consumer Protection Act, passed in 1999
The passed in 1999 after the comma is more like "By the way, the law was passed"
led to the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act is concise

Please let me know if you agree.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep SC question The proliferation of so-called cybersq [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:58
I am with A because "them later" is missing in the rest of options and I think that it is actually needed.
What do you think about this?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep SC question The proliferation of so-called cybersq [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 05:02
"passing the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act in 1999", in A is wrong and should be eliminated first.C is clear with correctly placed modifiers.The event has already taken place.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 152 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep SC question The proliferation of so-called cybersq [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
For the original poster--I think you're asking if parallelism makes you say "led to the passage of"? If so, then yes, and that split is a really efficient way to tackle this question. The structure is:

"The proliferation (action noun)....led to...the passage (action noun)." (B and C)

Choice B violates the rule that tells you a comma followed by "which" must immediate follow the noun being modified: in choice B, this noun is "1999" rather than "Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act." That leaves us with C. Quick and clean!

For noboru: I can see why you might think you need an object for "selling"--when we use "sell" as a verb it usually does come attached to the thing we're selling. It can however, be used as an intransitive verb (ex: I invented a new widget and am marketing it on the internet...I really hope it sells!). Additionally, notice that the participle "selling" follows the preposition "of" in choice C (and E, which is incorrect for other reasons mentioned by posters above). Here, "selling" is functioning as a *noun* -- the action of selling-- so we're in safe waters.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT Prep SC question The proliferation of so-called cybersq [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 08:20
ssandeepan wrote:

The correct answer is C ; I think it is because of the correct verb "lead to the passage of" and also it removes the misplaced modifiers in B where it is not clear if the act or 1999 allows companied to seed. Can somebody confirm my understanding is correct ?

During GMAT prep test , I chose A , again for not good reasons. Despite knowing that after "to" "passing" looks weired. Later when I analysed incorrect response. Important thing that I missed these under the time pressure

a) I will go passing .. allowing incorrect
b) led to passage ... act.. (in 1999 -incorrect), which
c) led to passage .. act , which ... CORRECT
d) awkward .. "it".. confusing
e) awkward .. "it" confusing
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 02:40
A:
The proliferation led to passing the Act, allowing companies to seek damages.
Here, it is not clear who or what is passing the act.
Generally, COMMA + VERBing refers to the subject of the preceding clause. Thus, the implication here is that the PROLIFERATION was allowing companies to seek damages -- not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A.

In B, they lacks a clear antecedent.
Also, which seems to refer to 1999, implying that the year itself allows companies to seek damages. Eliminate B.

D and E:
The proliferation led to the Act.
Not the intended meaning: the proliferation led not to the ACT itself but to the PASSAGE of the Act.
Also, led to the Act and passed in 1999 incorrectly imply that there were two distinct events. Not so. The intended meaning is that the events were concurrent: The proliferation LED to the PASSAGE in 1999 of the Act.
Also, it lacks a clear antecedent.
In E, they lacks a clear antecedent.

Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is C.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 543

Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 06:08
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 1089 [3] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question. Thanks!

"led to passing" is not idiomatic in option A.

In B which refers to the year 1999: incorrect
C is the correct option.

D has a mistake of this kind: "the ACT -modifier- and it allows". If you read the whole sentence, it seems to say that "The proliferation lead to the act and allows": this sentence has not the correct structure.
E is not parallel "Act passed and it allows", moreover the structure of the sentence is not correct (see D).

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 543

Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 23:57
Hey Zarrolou one question regarding option A

Suppose this option was idiomatically correct and had "led to the passage" is the modifier correct in this option?

allowing companies to seek up to 100000 in damages? Since its presenting the result of the previous clause...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 105

Kudos [?]: 1089 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 00:09
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Hey Zarrolou one question regarding option A

Suppose this question was idiomatically correct and had led to the passage is the modifier correct in this option?

allowing companies to seek up to 100000 in damages? Since its presenting the result of the previous clause...

Lets create a new option

F) the passage in 1999 of the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (this is option C), allowing companies to seed up to $100000 in damages against those who register domain names with the sole intent of selling them later. (this is option A).

No. The sentence would not be correct. A shorter version may calrify

"The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters led to the passage of the Act, allowing companies to seed up (...)"
"allowing companies to seed up" does not present the results of the action, the next clause "allowing companies to seed up" presents something that the act does.

Moreover one of the rules of the ING modifier of this form is that the ING verb must make sense with the subject of the previous clause:
The proliferation (subject) does not make sense with the verb "allowing companies to seed up", the intended subject of the "allow" verb is the Act.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

CAT Tests
Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 00:59
I have a question: If E is incorrect because "passed" and "allowing" are not parallel, why in other questions using -ed modifier and -ing modifier is considered parallel?????

For example:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus
that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root-like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some
10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

or this one:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and
and resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with
red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.
Re: The proliferation of so-called cybersquatters, people who   [#permalink] 11 May 2014, 00:59