Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 28 May 2017, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 233 [5] , given: 104591

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2003, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:38) correct 58% (00:50) wrong based on 3782 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why is extending and spawned parallel participial phrases?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
41 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 469 [41] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2004, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A is the correct answer. This question is about the use of present vs past participle.
present participle is used to denote a present condition that still prevails
past participle is used to denote a completed action, usually in a passive mood

The sentence is definitely talking about the filigree:

filigree [of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles] spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest

What is b/w brackets is a prepositional phrase and remove it to make the sentence less cumbersome:

filigree spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest

As you can see, the filigree spawned by X some 10,000 years ago. This warrants the use of past participle. Also, "spawned by" denotes passive voice which justifies the use of past participle.
As for the "extending", it is still prevailing today in the Michigan forest so you cannot use past participle "extended".

The present and past participles are used to describe the "filigree", they act as adjectives.

Best Regards,

Paul

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [3] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2005, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is a interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 1000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soill of a michigan forest.

The key to solving this is to identify the right modifier.

There is a giant fungus. What is it like? It is characterized by an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles and is extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 376 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2005, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
I got A,

this is a IIism. a giant fungus is modifying what scientists have recently discovered.
The rest of the sentence is modifying the fungus
by that is -an interwoven
-and root like tentacles spawned by a single .....
- and ..............for more than.....years

This a a trap. a lot of test takers will choose extended in order to parallel the sentence with ...spawned
now the parallelism is not with spawned here. it is with and inter woven, and root like....if we use past participle then we are actually making this part a passive one, so the question come is extended by whom? but the fact is the fungus wasn't extended by anyone but is extending by itself.

So A is the right choice.

hey ya......

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Filigree (yeah again!!!) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2005, 17:06
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending

(B) extends

(C) extended

(D) it extended

(E) is extending

"As you can see, the filigree spawned by X some 10,000 years ago. This warrants the use of past participle. Also, "spawned by" denotes passive voice which justifies the use of past participle.
As for the "extending", it is still prevailing today in the Michigan forest so you cannot use past participle "extended". "

from (http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... n+filigree)

I understand the past vs present argument, but then why is B wrong? That is also present right?

Paul, you cracked this one, could you answer my query? Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2006, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Scientists recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a singles fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

Both the texts pieces in RED are adjective clauses 'cos they are modifying the subject gaint fungus.

spawned is past paticiple and since it is still existing it should have a parallel fragment in present participle as extending.

is is not necessary before extending 'cos that is is understood.

A should be it
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [3] , given: 13

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2007, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
msingh wrote:
what is past participle in the above sentene. All the verbs that i see are in simple past tense.
The word "recently" does not mean that that it is an on going activity & continuing in the present.

i would go with choice B - extends.

OK. Let's substitute EXTENDS in the original sentence and see what happens -

I am just breaking the whole sentence into 'logical chunks'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scientists have recently discovered

what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth,

a giant fungus that is

an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles

spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago

and

extends for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

In other words in the phrase - an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles SPAWNED by blah blah AND EXTENDS for more than blah blah, the SPAWNED part is describing the interwoven filigree HENCE the connecting AND part must (in order to maintain parallelism) have another adjectival phrase to describe the same interwoven filigree - something which the extending participial provides.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2007, 02:01
It's not B because of verb tense.

A rule is if it's a quote of speech (Sally said ...) it's past tense, if it's a direct quote ("I'm a dyke", said sally) then it's present tense. If it's an indisputable fact (The fire IS hot, not the fire WAS hot), it's present tense.

I did this grammar workbook, which I think is fantastic for grammar. It's called 'English Grammar Workbook for Dummies', by Geraldine Woods. It's meant for people doing the SAT and writing college entrance exams, but she covers everything you pretty much need to know. She doesn't do the subjunctive mood that well, but you can read up on it in other places. I just completed this book today, spent 3 days on it, and I know 100x what I knew before. In Canada they teach us NO GRAMMAR!!!!!! Argh. 0!!!!!! I didn't know what the hell the difference between a subject and object pronoun was (ie who/whom), I didn't know ANY verb tenses.. I just knew past/present/future... of course I know how to speak English :) But I don't know any formal rules.... I'm still learning, but this book is a great starting spot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2007, 19:09
StartupAddict wrote:
It's not B because of verb tense.

A rule is if it's a quote of speech (Sally said ...) it's past tense, if it's a direct quote ("I'm a dyke", said sally) then it's present tense. If it's an indisputable fact (The fire IS hot, not the fire WAS hot), it's present tense.

I did this grammar workbook, which I think is fantastic for grammar. It's called 'English Grammar Workbook for Dummies', by Geraldine Woods. It's meant for people doing the SAT and writing college entrance exams, but she covers everything you pretty much need to know. She doesn't do the subjunctive mood that well, but you can read up on it in other places. I just completed this book today, spent 3 days on it, and I know 100x what I knew before. In Canada they teach us NO GRAMMAR!!!!!! Argh. 0!!!!!! I didn't know what the hell the difference between a subject and object pronoun was (ie who/whom), I didn't know ANY verb tenses.. I just knew past/present/future... of course I know how to speak English :) But I don't know any formal rules.... I'm still learning, but this book is a great starting spot.

Do they teach you manners and maturity in Canada?
I wouldn't use the term "dyke" in public in an American B-School, lest you fancy getting thrown out of class by one of your professors, or punched in the face by a complete stranger

Last edited by anonymousegmat on 30 Jul 2007, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2007, 15:01
is extending - Progressive form of verb

extending - present participle Spawned - Past Participle

Scientists recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a singles fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a michigan forest.

spawned-extending parallel

Hence A
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 76

Re: Brutal OG question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2010, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
RaviChandra wrote:
thanku can some one post the explanation OG12. i dont have that book

I'm not sure this is legal in this forum. Otherwise I apologize to the moderators and won't do it again.

Full explanation from OG12:

The original sentence is correctly written. The giant fungus is described as an interwoven filigree spawned ... some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres. The present participle extending parallels the past participle spawned.

A Correct. This sentence has the participles spawned and extending in a correct parallel construction. Spawned refers to something that happened in the past, while extending refers to something that continues into the present.
B Extends is a present tense verb, not the participle needed for parallel structure; the ostensible parallel between extends and the distant verb is is superficial and would result in an awkward and unclear sentence.
C Extended looks parallel to spawned, but this phrase would mean that the fungus extended on in the past when the fungus clearly lives on in the present.
D It extended is not parallel to spawned and indicates an event completed in the past.
E Is extending is the progressive form of the present tense verb, not the participle required for parallelism.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 1022 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Olding Living Organism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2010, 05:27
spawned by a signle fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago
AND
extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest

both refer to : an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles

the way I think of this is to imagine as if there was just one sentence here and no "AND" connector, and try and see what fits in best on the second sentence. The only form of "extend" that fits in well is "extending"... it is trying to to describe what an unfus is. A filigree extening for 30 acres makes sense ... a filigree extended for 30 acres, doesnt sound correct

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 7

Re: OG12 #42...got me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2010, 19:51
Parallelism really is the key issue here. Any time there are two verbs that fall into the same category, those verbs need to be parallel. For example:

"The dog ran and barked." --> "Ran" and "barked" both fall into the category "things the dog did," so they both need to be in the same tense.

"Yesterday, I went to the beach and spent the day swimming and tanning." --> "Swimming" and "Tanning" both fall into the category "things I did at the beach yesterday," so they both need to be in the same tense. Notice that "went" is a different tense because it doesn't fall into the category "things I did at the beach yesterday." You could say "Yesterday, I went to the beach, spent the day swimming, and tanned" but this would change the meaning because there's no indication that the second two verbs were done while at the beach.

In the example above, there are two participles describing the fungus, so they must be parallel.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 822

Kudos [?]: 6337 [1] , given: 324

Re: Olding Living Organism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
The reason why there is so much confusion here is that the principles of participle usage have not been understood well. A participle though called present or past participle per se does not indicate the sense of the tense. It goes along with the tense of the main clause.

In the above simple sentence, if the intruding descriptive structures are removed, the clause will read under

Scientists have recently discovered a giant fungus, spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in
the soil of a Michigan forest

“spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest” is indeed the long, long participial phrase .The participles ‘spawned’ ( past participle ) and extending( present participle ) both refer to the fungus and not to the filigree or the tentacles. If it were to refer to tentacles, it should say “tentacles that were spawned and that are extending”. Logically only a fungus can be spawned and not the tentacles.

@Cracky: You are trying to parallelize ‘a fungus is’ with ‘a fungus extends’ because both are in present tense. In the process you have forgotten the all important ‘spawned by’ .The second leg of the participial phrase 'extending' should parallel the first leg 'spawned'. It is legitimate to use both past and present participles as parallel structures in the same sentence. Hence A is the right answer, as many have already said.

P.S. I have a small note prepared for my students on this topic, titled A Pamphlet on the Use of Participles in GMAT, running to about 25 pages . Perhaps that may be of help to some.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 822

Kudos [?]: 6337 [1] , given: 324

Re: Scientists have recently discovered [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
Ideally an action that was started in the past, that continues thorough he present and that might extend to the future, must be expressed with a perfect tense. But in the above case, are these conditions extant? No doubt the action of spawning (spawning means seeding) was done in the past and ended in the past. The spawning is not continuing today. The other event extending was not there 10,000 years ago, becos, at that point of time the fungus did not occupy 30 acres. So in both areas, a prefect tense becomes irrelevant.

What is the alternative then? A present tense such as is spawned to denote a completed action is ungrammatical. It is in such places that the use of participles, whether past or present is handy. That is why the sentence is using spawned, a past participle for spawning and present participle extending for the other event. As per norms of participles, it is parallel to use past and present participles in the same sentence.

C, which seems to use the speciously more parallel extended[/color]\, is wrong, becos the first arm says ‘spawned by’ while the second arm just says 'extended'. In essence, unless it clarifies ‘extended by what’, there is good reason to assume that it was extended by the same single fertilized spore. This is not logical.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 243 [2] , given: 10

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2011, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
cano wrote:
Subject + verb + direct object
Scientists discovered the organism.
Most of the sentence describes this organism: largest, oldest, LIVING, etc. Many of you made the parallelism between "is" and "extends". But if we make "living" parallel with "extending"? Think about it. For me, what helped the most was the structure of the sentence. If you think of verbs inside the big modifier, then you get lost and confused with "is", "spawned", "extending", etc.

No. While the name is 'present' participle, they really have no tense (Present/Past/Future) of their own. Present participles 'derive' their tense from the 'main verb'.

He is running Vs He was running

Present Participle 'running' used in both sentences, but deriving the 'tense' (present and Past respectively) from the linking verb 'is/was'.

That aside, in the question under consideration, 'extends', as used in B cannot be used because 'extends' is a 'verb' and a 'verb' cannot be parallel with a 'participle' ('spawned'). Past Participle ('spawned') and Present Participle ('extending') can be perfectly parallel. Few examples are:

Tired but beaming, the athlete displayed the gold medal. (Tired- Past participle; beaming - Present participle)
The old lady's face, wrinkled but glowing, shone in the sun. (wrinkled - Past participle; glowing - Present participle).

The tougher part to see in this sentence is that 'extended', as used in C, would act as a proper verb (and hence would not be parallel with the Past participle 'spawned').

Lastly, the question is interesting, but that is only one clause in this sentence:

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth

Rest all is an appositive modifier:

a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 87

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2011, 02:20
i am confused between the usage of participle v/s verbs...

Can someone answer the following questions:

1) Can someone please explain how to know we need a participle...

2) Also, what is the main verb in the modifier sentence : "a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest. "? Is this whole bolded part one modifier???

3)Is there a modifier within modifier in the bolder part above ?

4) How do we know a giant fungus that.... forest... that if we start witrh THAT until what part is the modifier there and we need to hide the modifier and re-read the sentence?
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B
Followers: 2220

Kudos [?]: 7765 [6] , given: 291

Re: SC-Largest Living organism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2012, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
balajinaik wrote:
My answer is B.

I have always had an issue with this type of question. What i have found in GMAt questions is that in most cases like the one here, the question talks about many properties of a single item. In the process they mix the verb tense thereby confusing the subject.

This Q is a classic example of that. The scientists discovered the Fungi, the next 2 are properties of the fungi. hence extends is correct and not extending

Balaji

Hi,

It is imperative to understand the meaning of the sentence in order to get the correct answer. So let’s do that first. Scientists have recently discovered something that could be the largest and oldest organism on Earth. So what have they discovered? They have a discovered a giant fungus which has qualities that make the scientists believe that this fungus could be the largest and oldest living organism. What are these qualities? This giant fungus is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles. This fungus has been spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago. So this is why the scientists think that this fungus is the oldest living organism. The other quality that the fungus has is that it extends for more than 30 acres. This is the reason why the scientists think this fungus to be the largest living organism

After we have understood the meaning, let us evaluate the errors in the sentence. Now notice “spawned” is not verb here. It is verb-ed modifier that is presenting the quality of the giant fungus. In the very same way, “extending” is a verb-ing modifier that is also presenting another quality of the fungus. Hence, verb-ed modifier “spawned” and the verb-ing modifier “extending” are parallel to each other. Hence this sentence is correct as it is.

POE:

Choice A: extending: Correct.

Choice B: extends: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier.

Choice C: extended: Incorrect. We again have a verb in the past tense that cannot be parallel to a modifier. Also the fungus is still extending. It is still there. So use of past tense is wrong anyway.

Choice D: it extended: Incorrect. Same error as in Choice D.

Choice E: is extending: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier.

Hope this helps to understand why choice A is the correct answer.
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 15

Re: SC-Largest Living organism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2012, 00:09
nitinneha wrote:
623. Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

According to me A is the correct answer.
According to the stem scientists [highlight]have[/highlight] recently discovered ........fungus that [highlight]is[/highlight] .........tentacles [highlight]spawned[/highlight] and ........forest.
Have ---> present tense
Spawned---> Simple past.This event occurred in the past as a result of which it is now in its present form.
Now let us analyse the following options:
A)extending--> read the sentence in this way,'Scientists have recently discovered .............. and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an......................and rootlike tentacles spawned by ....................and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.'Scientists have found a living organism, so that's why we have to use extending.
B)extends--> A living organism by itself cannot extend.'Scientists have found a living organism that is extending......' is true.'Scientists have foung a living organism ..........blah blah.....and extends...........'is clearly wrong.
C)extended--> This one is not correct, the reason is this if we would use extended (the past form of verb), then it would indicate that it no longer extends or it no longer holds true, which in this case is not true.
D)it extended-->The use of this in above stem as '.....and it extended....' is clearly wrong and makes no sense.
E)is extending-->'............and is extending...' is wrong .

Give me kudos, like u i want them too...... :snipersmile:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 31

Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the larges [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2013, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
mun23 wrote:

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(0) it extended
(E) is extending
I picked c .why c is wrong?

In this case, C ("extended") and A ("extending") are each participle modifiers. These are basically short versions of relative clauses. An easy way to see how they work is to add a relative pronoun (that, which, who, etc.) and a verb.

"... filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles that is spawned by ... and that is extending ..."

Now we see that the sentence makes sense. The filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles is spawned by (or created by) something else, but it actively does the act of extending.

If we tried this with C, it would say:

"... filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles that is spawned by ... and that is extended ..."

This doesn't make sense. Now, the second modifier is in passive voice, so something else is extending the filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles, as if someone is stretching them 30 acres.

Easy rule: -ed modifiers create a passive construction (the thing being modified does not do the action - something else is acting on it), while -ing modifiers create an active construction (the thing being modified does the action)

You might think there is an issue with parallelism between -ed and -ing modifiers; however, this is not an issue. Since each of these are participle modifiers, they are the same type of modifier, so they are parallel. It doesn't matter that one is active and one is passive.
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the larges   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2013, 08:20

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ]