Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38831 [517]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [257]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [85]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [34]
Re: Early administrative decisions in Chinas Ming Dynasty eventually caus [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Vezax27 wrote:
How can we be so sure that answer A) is incorrect? I was thinking of the following parallelism:

i) Decisions caused:
- noun
- noun
- noun

,and failed to make

Is this infeasible because of the 'to make' and especially the 'to', which would ne parallelism?

Dear Vezax27,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, the problem with this interpretation is that, for the three nouns in parallel, we would need an additional "and" before the third noun. We would need
Decision caused:
Noun #1
Noun #2
and
Noun #3
and failed to make . . . .

The "and" already in (A) is for the parallelism between the two verbs, "caused" & "failed." The second "and" would have to be added for the parallelism of the three nouns.

If we added that additional "and," then (A) would become correct.
Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused a drastic fall in tax revenues, a reduction in military preparedness, and the collapse of the currency system, and failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Early administrative decisions in Chinas Ming Dynasty eventually caus [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 293

Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused a drastic fall in tax revenues, a reduction in military preparedness, the collapse of the currency system, and failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure.

(A) the collapse of the currency system, and failed
(B) the collapse of the currency system, and failing
(C) and the collapse of the currency system, also failed
(D) the collapse of the currency system, as well as failing
(E) and the collapse of the currency system, as well as a failure

Concepts tested here: Parallelism + Grammatical Construction

• All elements in a list must be parallel.
• Semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.
• Any elements joined by a conjunction ("as well as" in this case) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among "a drastic fall in tax revenues", "a reduction in military preparedness", "the collapse of the currency system" - all noun phrases - and "failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure" - a verb phrase; remember, all elements in a list must be parallel.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among "a drastic fall in tax revenues", "a reduction in military preparedness", "the collapse of the currency system" - all noun phrases - and "failing to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure" - a verb phrase; remember, all elements in a list must be parallel.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the "comma + conjunction ("also" in this case)" construction to join the independent clause "Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused...the currency system" and the dependent clause "failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

D: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism among "a drastic fall in tax revenues", "a reduction in military preparedness", "the collapse of the currency system" - all noun phrases - and "failing to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure" - a verb phrase; remember, all elements in a list must be parallel.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly maintains parallelism among "a drastic fall in tax revenues", "a reduction in military preparedness", and "the collapse of the currency system". Further, Option E maintains parallelism between the noun phrases "a drastic fall in tax revenues, a reduction in military preparedness, and the collapse of the currency system" and "a failure to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure"; remember, two elements joined by a conjunction ("as well as" in this case) must be parallel. Additionally, Option E correctly uses a comma to join the independent clause "Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused...the currency system" and the dependent clause "as well as a failure to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Option E slightly alters the construction of the sentence by separating the final element of the list - "a failure..." - into an additive phrase, modifier phrases that add nouns onto another noun but are not part of the main subject of a sentence.

To understand the use of punctuation on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~9 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, could you please clarify 2 things:

1) Why "failing" couldn't be considered as a noun? Or if we want to use it as a noun, then we need an article?
2) Isn't the use of both "and" and "as well as" in option E redundant? I would be much better to eliminate "and" in this case, in my view.

I chose D instead of E because of these 2 considerations.

Thanks.

mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused a drastic fall in tax revenues, a reduction in military preparedness, the collapse of the currency system, and failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure.

A. the collapse of the currency system, and failed
B. the collapse of the currency system, and failing
C. and the collapse of the currency system, also failed
D. the collapse of the currency system, as well as failing
E. and the collapse of the currency system, as well as a failure

Dear AbdurRakib,

A great question about parallelism!

We have four elements
1) a drastic fall in tax revenues = fixed, before the underline
2) a reduction in military preparedness = fixed, before the underline
3) some form of "the collapse of the currency system"
4) something about failing "to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure"

The prompt has
[noun], [noun], [noun], and [verb] = an obvious failure of parallelism

Correct possibilities:
1) We could have parallelism with three nouns and then have a verb after it:
[noun], [noun], and [noun], and [verb]
That verb would be parallel to the first verb, so the parallelism of the nouns would be nested inside the parallelism of the verbs.
No answer choice does this.

2) We could have four nouns
[noun], [noun], [noun], and [noun],
No answer choice does this.

3) We could have three nouns in parallel and than an additive phrase
[noun], [noun], and [noun], as well as [noun]
Choice (E) does this. This is the only choice that does something correct.

OA = (E)

Does all this make sense?
Mike
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [12]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
How can we be so sure that answer A) is incorrect? I was thinking of the following parallelism:

i) Decisions caused:
- noun
- noun
- noun

,and failed to make

Is this infeasible because of the 'to make' and especially the 'to', which would ne parallelism?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [4]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
CorporateFinancier wrote:
Hi, could you please clarify 2 things:

1) Why "failing" couldn't be considered as a noun? Or if we want to use it as a noun, then we need an article?
2) Isn't the use of both "and" and "as well as" in option E redundant? I would be much better to eliminate "and" in this case, in my view.

I chose D instead of E because of these 2 considerations.

Thanks.

Dear CorporateFinancier,

1) First of all, let's use the proper terminology. When a verb form ending in -ing is used as a noun, this is called a gerund. Just "failing" by itself is a simple gerund. When we add an article, "the failing," then it becomes a complex gerund. As a general rule, we put only complex gerunds in parallel with ordinary nouns, not simple gerunds. Furthermore, there is something incredibly awkward about using a complex gerund form when there's a very clear ordinary noun form of the same word. We wouldn't say "the failing of X" because we can say "the failure of X."

2) The use of "and" and "as well as" in (E) is not redundant, because there's a subtle distinction at work here--it's not pure parallelism. When we say "both P and Q as well as R," we are putting P & Q at the same level, side-by-side, but we are saying that somehow R is a slightly different thing, not quite the equivalent of P & Q. In this sentence we have
Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused
(P1) a drastic fall in tax revenues,
(P2) a reduction in military preparedness,
and

(P3) the collapse of the currency system,
(additional) as well as a failure to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure.
The three elements in parallel, P1, P2, and P3, were all immediate and pressing problems that the early Ming Dynasty had to face. The addition item is something that might not have seemed immediate and pressing at the time, but later evolved into a big problem, as infrastructural debt became to mount. Because of the different moments in time when these played out, the author logically separated out this additional element to distinguish it.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

I am a big fan of your explanations Mike !!!![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [13]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: HBS '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 550 Q34 V31
GMAT 2: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For A

In this case, we would have grammatical parallelism, but not logical parallelism, correct? With your changes, if I get rid of all the fluff, the sentence would say “Decisions caused...” and “Decisions failed to make sufficient investment”. The second part is illogical, right? Decisions can’t make investments.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [14]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos